Derby vs Port Vale

B4’s Sister

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Derby are in this position because of recruitment. Recruitment is what makes teams either successful or not.

Clubs that actually use intricate statistical data such as Brighton and Brentford have exceeded expectations because their recruitment has seen them purchase players with huge potential while selling players for big fees to fund their progress.

Clubs like Derby meanwhile just saw somebody like Nick Blackman was scoring goals elsewhere and signed him without any thought of why he is scoring goals, what his best position is and how he can fit in to Derby’s current playing style. 

We broke a club record fee on a player just because he became available hours previously. He wasn’t even a target. We had no idea where he would fit in. Literally an agent just called Derby and said this player is available, and Derby said yes we will buy him.

That is why we are in the third division. No plan on recruitment. Just throwing cash around like it’s confetti. We had 5 years of careful recruitment under Nigel Clough ruined in just one summer by Mel.

XG in isolation doesn’t mean much. We beat Port Vale. We had an XG of 0.7. All that matters is we scored, they didn’t, 3 points. However, in terms of the bigger picture, statistical data plays a huge role in modern football.

So points deductions had nothing to do with relegation then ? 

5 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Far as I can see XG has no relation to a bloke with a few hundred million who decided to head off rather than covering debt he'd ran up or a tiresome twosome chasing the ambulance, or indeed a pissed off EFL having a wet dream over how they could retrospectively f*** up a club for years by enforcing accounting rules which didn't exist.

Clubs buy crap players all the time and spend crazy wages.  For a few years they are well up like Southampton and then they're not. Leicester won the league with Huth, Mahrez, Kante and Vardy who cost a bag of sherbet.  Then they were millions in the crap.   Statistics make no difference and I certainly wouldn't need them too let me know Blackman, Butterfield and Anya were crap buys, just the eyes I'd seen them with. 

To be fair, Bris didn't say it was not using xG which resulted in us being where we are, but the lack of statistics in general. If we got recruitment (managere and players) right, we wouldn't have wasted 10s of millions on players who didn't improve us or weren't even suited to our style of play. We wouldn't have had to use unusually practices to avoid P&S punishment, and Mel wouldn't have wasted as much money chasing the PL dream. We would have had a greater chance of promotion and would more likely be where Brighton/Brentford are now than sitting in League 1.

Xg versus gut ,,,,,, watched the game on rtv and my gut was it was only a matter of time before we scored and went on to win , solid at the back , much more organised of late with a confidence and determination building in the team , the players and management reaction at the final whistle was a joy to watch and very far from the picture of a group of players being told to play in a way they don’t want and not really on board with the manager ,

warne recruitment,, well again it shows real promise for the job in hand , Nelson, nyambe, Wilson ( twinkle toes ) , fornah, 

hourihane and smith are getting dogs abuse from some ( unfairly in my view) , they are in my view rosenior players that bring plenty to our team but some want them out for more mobile athletic in they’re view warne type players ,

patience that some have been calling for is the key , let’s see how the team develops , we are progressing and in my view look stronger throughout the squad than last apart from maybe mc g and his best ever ever season

Good win / 3 points. Fantastic that is 4 in a row too. Happy too that John-Jules is an available forward option again. Didn’t watch it, nor the other 3 games, other than the highlights. Decided to reduce my Derby time in recent weeks (for a couple of reasons) and it seems sensible for me not to break that decision now we are on a run 😂. This league is really for the taking this season.  COYR!

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

It’s boring football because it’s a ‘boring’ league. The lack of real quality means the ball spends a lot of time in the air. 

However, we wouldn’t be calling it boring if we had someone up front or running from midfield who could put away some of the crosses put in by Wilson, NML and Co.

The fact they are headed or hoofed away leaves the spectator disgruntled.

I wouldn’t describe the game, or the league in general, as “boring”. Just short on quality. Last season, I went to a Tamworth game and difference in quality between that league and ours was even more obvious than that between the Championship and League 1. But I enjoyed the game perhaps partly because I was a relative neutral and could just enjoy/cheer/laugh at what I was watching. Same with if I was watching a game down the park on a Sunday morning. It wouldn’t be champagne football but there would probably be goals, goal scoring opportunities, penalty area scrambles, good tackles, missed tackles, the occasional good passage of play etc that would keep me off my mobile phone.

Maybe some of us are, understandably, allowing our enjoyment of the games to be marred by our desire to see Derby win and win handsomely and confusing lack of enjoyment with boredom. 🤷🏻

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To be fair, Bris didn't say it was not using xG which resulted in us being where we are, but the lack of statistics in general. If we got recruitment (managere and players) right, we wouldn't have wasted 10s of millions on players who didn't improve us or weren't even suited to our style of play. We wouldn't have had to use unusually practices to avoid P&S punishment, and Mel wouldn't have wasted as much money chasing the PL dream. We would have had a greater chance of promotion and would more likely be where Brighton/Brentford are now than sitting in League 1.

Statistics are part of it, but a medium to long term strategy is the most important theme and we didn't have one for years. 

Mel abandoned that 6 months after the first Wembley  

26 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Was convinced we were offside for our goal!  😲

... 5 re-runs... expand to full screen... before realising TJJ was slightly behind NML when he played it through!  Phew!  I thought I'd lost my marbles for a few minutes, and that the ref/lino had given us a break!  🤣

In the end, it was great play (by both NML & TJJ), and good decisions all round (Including the officials).

👍🐏

EDIT:

Was TJJ cupping his ear... or stroking his whiskers?

Edited by Mucker1884

Credit where it’s due. Warne and the players are trying to make amends for previous results. They are digging in and showing fight.

Warne looked dead and buried after Stevenage away, so to notch up four league wins in a row and move into the top six is a very good response and a small reward for those who remained patient and unlike myself didn’t experience a wobble at any point.

In my mind, there was an air of resignation after Stevenage away and I don’t think that has completely disappeared in truth. Current results are largely very positive but it would be very typical of us to drop the baby in upcoming games and doom engulfs the fanbase again. There’s still some convincing that needs to be done.

If we play to our potential, there’s no reason why we can’t go into 2024 on the back of a solid unbeaten run. Four wins and some hard-fought draws would leave us well placed heading into January.

Hopefully Warne and the players don’t let us down.

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

Can you name any other serious chances that we created? 

Collins 1st half, Just outside the area...shoots hard and low, Keeper makes the save...bog standard, But, A more clever player would/should have lobbed the keeper as he was way off his line, Hindsight is a wonderful thing...but seeing the highlights shows how much more skill in the squad can make the difference from average to very good.

PS I'm a Collins fan, She was a tasty piece in her day 😁 

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

They're all half chances, none of those are chances I would usually expect to go in. I think that's an area we need to improve. We're pretty good at defending at present.

You class them as half chances, yet you include the Fornah chance as a full chance. I would say that they were all better chances. Fornah's only looked spectacular because of the keeper's excellent reaction to the deflection.

All of those instances that I've mentioned, I was hoping/expecting the ball to end up in the back of the net, at the instant of the shot.

We are in league 3 as the result of an owner that ran the club like a fan with a strategy of sacking managers weeks after giving them millions to spend in a transfer window, to bring in a different manager with a different philosophy.

Ironic really and wouldn't surprise me if those now referring to statistics are the ones that have been advocating for him to be sacked 🤨