Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Isn’t helpful especially in this topic? What does that mean?

As in, it’s not helpful because this is a topic in which people want to argue for sacking the manager and pointing out that the club (despite some very poor performances) are still at the right end of the table doesn’t support that one perspective?

Surely on a forum in which views and opinions are meant to be shared and discussed (ideally with some respect to opposing ideas) it’s entirely helpful to discuss that we are well positioned in the league despite our lacklustre performances at times, and therefore there’s still room for optimism and it doesn’t all need to be doom and gloom. 

I realise now why I took a week off, I’m just going to stick to matchday threads I think. 

Horror No GIF by Fotověci

23 hours ago, nottingram said:

Sometimes it’s unavoidable going 3 at the back though. For instance when Cashin is out and you need to retain defensive solidity against a team who had scored 21 goals in 30 games prior to today. 

Am I missing remembering yesterday's game, but didn't we concede when we were playing with a back 4...... but not when we had a 3, yes we were mote attacking after switching, but that was as much to do with the tempo and energy increasing imo 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

As in, it’s not helpful because this is a topic in which people want to argue for sacking the manager and pointing out that the club (despite some very poor performances) are still at the right end of the table doesn’t support that one perspective?

Surely on a forum in which views and opinions are meant to be shared and discussed (ideally with some respect to opposing ideas) it’s entirely helpful to discuss that we are well positioned in the league despite our lacklustre performances at times, and therefore there’s still room for optimism and it doesn’t all need to be doom and gloom. 

if you want to put that narrative on it then ok.

However, we are 2nd (or 3rd) in the league realistically because the league has been so poor this season. In any normal season we would absolutely not be. The target for the season was automatic promotion (as stated by warne in pre-season) and if we are only just hanging on to that playing against this level of opposition, what chance do we have if we go up to the championship? Where is the long term planning? What are we building towards? I still don't even know what our team is, what's the identity?

This train of thought that we are struggling to play good football because League One football is poor and the opposition drag us down to their level is just a complete cop out for poor coaching.

Do you think if Leicester were in League One they’d suddenly struggle to play football too? Or do you think they would just play how they are in the Championship and batter everyone 5-0?

You can’t use the opposition as an excuse for playing crap football. That is on our manager and coaches.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

This train of thought that we are struggling to play good football because League One football is poor and the opposition drag us down to their level is just a complete cop out for poor coaching.

Do you think if Leicester were in League One they’d suddenly struggle to play football too? Or do you think they would just play how they are in the Championship and batter everyone 5-0?

You can’t use the opposition as an excuse for playing crap football. That is on our manager and coaches.

What's the combined cost of the Leicester squad?

Make them give all their players away, including their youngsters that they have nurtured.

Make them sign only free agents on limited wages and then we'll see, especially with teams treating it as their cup final every week. Quite often, big teams are humbled or struggle against league 1 opposition in the cup, even with their mega expensive players. It would be interesting to see how they would cope, having the big name, but without the big players to go with it 

6 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

However, we are 2nd (or 3rd) in the league realistically because the league has been so poor this season. In any normal season we would absolutely not be. The target for the season was automatic promotion (as stated by warne in pre-season) and if we are only just hanging on to that playing against this level of opposition, what chance do we have if we go up to the championship? Where is the long term planning? What are we building towards? I still don't even know what our team is, what's the identity?

I’m not putting a narrative on anything, the OP essentially said people aren’t free to comment on our league position and that it’s not “helpful” without much context as to what it’s supposed to be helping.

Posters on this forum and fans of this club are as entitled to look at the table as it stands and go “oh we’re second in the league still, so despite the poor performances at times we still stand a chance of promotion”. That’s still possible isn’t it? Mathematically so at the very least.

And posters like yourselves and others are also within your rights to say “yeah but what happens after that IF we get promoted”. I’m not saying you can’t, that’s the funny thing around here, posters from both camps seem keen to tell people what they can and can’t feel about the club.
I’m not telling anyone to think otherwise, I am saying I think it’s a fair comment to look at the league standings and say we still stand a chance of being promoted. That’s not a narrative, it’s a fact, until it’s mathematically impossible that chance still stands.

The narrative aspect is what you’re talking about, that’s a narrative, the concerns (some valid and some weirdly personal and dismissive) about Paul Warne’s suitability to the club and its long term prospects. And as I’ve said many many times, if he ultimately proves not to be the man for the job he’ll be off and someone else gets a turn. If he is, the club is successful, hooray. All the binary stuff on here that you either have to be one thing or the other is more depressing to me than the football Warne serves up.

We are still second in the league, whether that’s down to the poor standard of opposition or not, that’s where we currently sit in the standings. Bolton are not guaranteed to win their game in hands just like they’re not guaranteed to lose them.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

6 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

This is it for me if we somehow go up this season playing like this then next season we are in a relegation battle just like Rotherham always are.

17 hours ago, nottingram said:

Agree to an extent but I think a key issue we have is off the ball movement and players making themselves available.

I think that is largely something that is coached - filling gaps, knowing where to be etc.

If the entire “unit” of a side looks bad at one time it’s hard to pinpoint it to individuals in my opinion. 

This. Our lack of imagination with and without the ball is a problem and it's down to shape, tactics and coaching.

Paul Warne is a tactical coward. No swagger about anything we do at all, which is seemingly at odds with the way he speaks and his character off he pitch.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This. Our lack of imagination with and without the ball is a problem and it's down to shape, tactics and coaching.

Paul Warne is a tactical coward. No swagger about anything we do at all, which is seemingly at odds with the way he speaks and his character off he pitch.

And yet we’re third highest goal scorers and best goal difference, strange.

1 hour ago, derbydaz22 said:

This is it for me if we somehow go up this season playing like this then next season we are in a relegation battle just like Rotherham always are.

Rotherham are nailed on for relegation this season and Warne hasn't been in charge for 18 months.

Maybe the problem is the Rotherham owner/their limited fanbase and resources, not Paul Warne?

5 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Rotherham are nailed on for relegation this season and Warne hasn't been in charge for 18 months.

Maybe the problem is the Rotherham owner/their limited fanbase and resources, not Paul Warne?

Quite possible, especially when you consider that they only avoided relegation last season because of Reading's points penalties and the great start under Warne.

29 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

And yet we’re third highest goal scorers and best goal difference, strange.

That's evidence of just how poor this division is. Our football has been consistently poor and it's still enough to get through most of the dross in this division bar two or three exceptions. That won't be the case if we go up.

9 hours ago, Rich84 said:

Am I missing remembering yesterday's game, but didn't we concede when we were playing with a back 4...... but not when we had a 3, yes we were mote attacking after switching, but that was as much to do with the tempo and energy increasing imo 

Yeah although we played more of the game with a 4 etc etc 

I am personally not really fussed what formation we play as I don’t think we look fantastic in either, but I think the reasoning Warne gave after the game for playing 3-5-2 was poor and indicative of his mindset.

Shrewsbury are a crap team who barely score goals and we played a 3 for primarily defensive reasons. That’s before you get on to the implication that he felt he needed an extra body back there for that solidity alongside Nelson and Bradley, both of which he signed. 

We're 2nd, 6 points off top with a game in hand on Portsmouth, who have shown they're liable to drop points. Everyone from Barnsley down would happily swap places with Derby.

Importantly, Peterborough are in danger of dropping out of contention if they don't beat Vale tomorrow, which would leave a top 4 pack. BUT they still have Portsmouth and Bolton at home, Bolton being on the last day of the season, so they could do a job for us. There are so many big games between Derby, Portsmouth, Bolton, Barnsley, and Peterborough, plus Stevenage & Oxford, a lot could change between now and 27th April.

All-in-all, the last 15 games look set to be very exciting, even if the football is pretty crap to watch. We just have to back the players. Warne is not going to be sacked before 27th April so you may as well enjoy the run-in as much as you can.

50 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

That's evidence of just how poor this division is. Our football has been consistently poor and it's still enough to get through most of the dross in this division bar two or three exceptions. That won't be the case if we go up.

This division is of a shocking standard when it comes to football...imo, I'm not a visitor to PP but I've seen enough on the TV and an avid reader of this forum...but...27,204 were there, Are fans still going in the hope our standard will improve or is it because it was only STFC and a guaranteed 3points 😉

PW was asked a few weeks ago pre game "have Derby a 5th gear to go to" PWs comment "perhaps this is our 5th gear" Fans including myself see a squad of talented players that are playing in a system and style shaped by PW, There seems to me looking from afar that there's a couple of missing pieces to the jigsaw, Those pieces are still in the box and a little rough around the edges, CBT and EB if these 2 could add that bit of steel and pace to our squad and getting Forsyth and a fit Nyambe with the return of EC things should become a lot more clearer 🤷‍♂️

I'm not going to hold my breath as this is DCFC and we know what comes with the territory, Plenty of points to play for as have the other teams, We just need that little bit of  je ne sais quoi ☺️

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Leicester have come down with premiership players, comparison is ridiculous. We are having to recruit players for the third tier of football, you aren't going to get players that are technically gifted to play quality attractive football.

That said, PW does play a brand of football that is effective in this league, hence our league position. For all the outcry of attractive football, it's worth noting the only successful manager we have had recently is Billy D, who played a similar brand.

Of course let's all shout about LR and his great football, who after a hefty budget... sits 15 points behind a team that got promoted from this league last season.

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Understand what you are saying , perhaps Leicester are not the best team to compare us to . They sold 2 players for £80 million this summer and will collect £40 million a year, for 3 years for coming down . Their budget means they can bring in quality players .We are paupers by comparison .

1 minute ago, jimtastic56 said:

Understand what you are saying , perhaps Leicester are not the best team to compare us to . They sold 2 players for £80 million this summer and will collect £40 million a year, for 3 years for coming down . Their budget means they can bring in quality players .We are paupers by comparison .

Have they adapted their style of play to the Championship or is it only money that allows them to play as they do?