Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

A competitive league one outfit second in the league. Some performances this season with ultra aggressive pressing and free flowing football when allowed to. 

The standard of the league is pretty poor and the matches can be difficult to watch. It’s a league problem. We need to get out of this league. 

The point I was making in the post you refer to is not once have I seen this Warne team persistently play aimless long ball and the ball being in the air more than on the ground. To say so is just untrue and a lazy stereotype based on Warne’s perceived style at Rotherham. Recent games I’ve seen centre halves split and Vickers playing the ball out to the side of the box then into midfield. That’s not lumping it. 

By passing the midfield, playing it out wide and putting crosses in….is that a reasonable summary 😊

32 minutes ago, Archied said:

Strangely enough I’ve been more concerned that we threw caution to the wind and left ourselves wide open in the middle and at the back far too much up until the last few games 🤷🏻‍♂️

I agree Archied except now we’ve signed a defensive midfielder that’s doing the job he’s paid to do and along with possibly the best centre backs in the league surely this gives Warne more licence to let the rest of the team play with more freedom!

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

We sing about winning Division 1 , 50 years ago . If we play for another 50 years , we will never get an easier chance of lifting a trophy . This league is diabolical. I have backed Warne from the start , but if he messes this up , it will be very hard to stick up for him .

It really is the easiest year there is ever likely to be to get promoted from this division.

Peterborough and Pompey keep taking turns to throw things away, unfortunately we keep matching them.

Yesterday was crying out for Mendez-Laing and CBT either side of Collins and for us to absolutely batter a struggling team at home.

What message does it send to a team when you change your formation from the start to try and combat their lack of attacking ability...must give the team a right lift.

Why he chose to not go with the 3 up top, I will never know..is he tactically inept (yes), does he like to make changes for the sake of it (yes) and I'm starting suspect he is a bit of a coward.

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What message does it send to a team when you change your formation from the start to try and combat their lack of attacking ability...must give the team a right lift.

We played the same formation as last week.

16 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Blind Faith ?

The "blindingly obvious" Jim is they want to support their football team, Some just can't get out of the habit, It becomes a drug and if you don't go you believe you've let them down...is just one of many reasons why they keep turning up 👏

4 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

The "blindingly obvious" Jim is they want to support their football team, Some just can't get out of the habit, It becomes a drug and if you don't go you believe you've let them down...is just one of many reasons why they keep turning up 👏

I don’t know exactly why , but I have enjoyed going to away games more this season than watching us at home . 

18 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

As Warne predicted pre-match

Well yes, it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

If a team is coached with an emphasis on getting it wide rather than playing through the middle then they'll not learn to overcome teams to try to 'strangle' them, and struggle to do so when a team does that.

The excuse earlier in the season (Cheltenham) was that they'd outnumber us there, but now we're playing 3 in midfield with the addition of Adams that excuse goes away.

We've had the ability to play with 3 midfielders most of the season and chosen not to,  you can't simply expect everything to work out perfectly when changing to a 3 when it hasn't been practiced extensively and the team have been taught to almost fear playing that way.

And that's what I saw yesterday, the theory was good but the execution was poor because it looked unpractised.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Oh great, we’ve drawn a game and up they pop. I just can’t understand why Pompey and Bolton don’t just role over and let us take our birth right. It’s so tiresome these other teams playing us and trying to get a point or god forbid even beat us. How dare they field a team of ultra fit highly coached professionals against us every game! Bar stewards. 

1 minute ago, Eatonram said:

Oh great, we’ve drawn a game and up they pop. I just can’t understand why Pompey and Bolton don’t just role over and let us take our birth right. It’s so tiresome these other teams playing us and trying to get a point or god forbid even beat us. How dare they field a team of ultra fit highly coached professionals against us every game! Bar stewards. 

The point isn’t about Shrewsbury playing to a professional level and trying to get a point or “god forbid even beat us”. It’s our feeble game from tactics to an utter shambles trying to pass and move consistently. Of course other teams are expected to compete. Don’t use that as defence for our rubbish performance 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

A competitive league one outfit second in the league. Some performances this season with ultra aggressive pressing and free flowing football when allowed to

Isn’t this the argument some are making though? We can’t seem to impose ourselves on games with any consistency. The repeated shouts that this is a poor league/standard read sometimes as an attempt to blame the other participants for our inability to finish them off!

5 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

The point isn’t about Shrewsbury playing to a professional level and trying to get a point or “god forbid even beat us”. It’s our feeble game from tactics to an utter shambles trying to pass and move consistently. Of course other teams are expected to compete. Don’t use that as defence for our rubbish performance 

As long as you don’t ignore the fact we are second in the league and that you wouldn’t be here today if we had won despite a below par performance. Furthermore I don’t buy into the over simplistic notion that a manager is always to blame for a poor performance. 

I think the players need to take a lot of responsibility for yesterday too. Shrewsbury are bang average and yesterday was a nailed on three points if the players had just a little imagination. Neither Sibley nor Ward are quick enough to knock the ball past defenders and cross it. However a quick wall pass with the midfield should get them in a crossing position.

We all know Ward is the best crosser of a ball in the club but other than a sublime free kick, he didn’t fashion an opportunity.

He is experienced enough to work out that without his crossing he’s nothing but he couldn’t change it.

4 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

As long as you don’t ignore the fact we are second in the league and that you wouldn’t be here today if we had won despite a below par performance. Furthermore I don’t buy into the over simplistic notion that a manager is always to blame for a poor performance. 

Agree that a manager isn’t always to blame for a poor performance but even Warne admitted himself that he’s got it wrong first half in his opinion. I assume he thinks we would have played better if he had got it right…

I enjoy our  wins but I would still come on here to say if I thought we were poor if I felt we were. 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

We tried a number of times to play through the middle yesterday and the result was the same every time - the move got utterly choked by Shrewsbury's midfield. 

It was no surprise that Adam’s was named MOTM! Massively impressed with his contribution in the last couple of games. Despite his goal I wanted more from Bird.