Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

51 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

This division is of a shocking standard when it comes to football...imo, I'm not a visitor to PP but I've seen enough on the TV and an avid reader of this forum...but...27,204 were there, Are fans still going in the hope our standard will improve or is it because it was only STFC and a guaranteed 3points 😉

PW was asked a few weeks ago pre game "have Derby a 5th gear to go to" PWs comment "perhaps this is our 5th gear" Fans including myself see a squad of talented players that are playing in a system and style shaped by PW, There seems to me looking from afar that there's a couple of missing pieces to the jigsaw, Those pieces are still in the box and a little rough around the edges, CBT and EB if these 2 could add that bit of steel and pace to our squad and getting Forsyth and a fit Nyambe with the return of EC things should become a lot more clearer 🤷‍♂️

I'm not going to hold my breath as this is DCFC and we know what comes with the territory, Plenty of points to play for as have the other teams, We just need that little bit of  je ne sais quoi ☺️

I think the crowds are high as there is a possibility of promotion & the club has been starved of any success for so many years. Its a novelty factor more than anything.

Where I sit in East Stand Upper, there are two sets of young lads either side of me & they've been gradually losing interest all season - going for a beer on 35 mins, returning on 55 mins & leaving on 85 mins. On Saturday, all were engaged throughout & stayed to the end as the matches now are taking on real importance but there's still no great affection for Paul Warne or the football that's being served up. Their belief seems to be we're in 2nd in spite of Warne, not because of Warne.

I don't think many are under any illusion that the football is going to get better or that we have an extra gear to go (and it seems Warne is of the same opinion). It feels very like Billy Davies' promotion season in 06/07 where style & performances take a back seat to results and if that's the price we have to pay to get out of this awful division, then so be it. Hence the apathy in the midst of a promotion run & the absolute fury when results are not as expected, as there's little else to be enthused by.

17 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I think the crowds are high as there is a possibility of promotion & the club has been starved of any success for so many years. Its a novelty factor more than anything.

Where I sit in East Stand Upper, there are two sets of young lads either side of me & they've been gradually losing interest all season - going for a beer on 35 mins, returning on 55 mins & leaving on 85 mins. On Saturday, all were engaged throughout & stayed to the end as the matches now are taking on real importance but there's still no great affection for Paul Warne or the football that's being served up. Their belief seems to be we're in 2nd in spite of Warne, not because of Warne.

I don't think many are under any illusion that the football is going to get better or that we have an extra gear to go (and it seems Warne is of the same opinion). It feels very like Billy Davies' promotion season in 06/07 where style & performances take a back seat to results and if that's the price we have to pay to get out of this awful division, then so be it. Hence the apathy in the midst of a promotion run & the absolute fury when results are not as expected, as there's little else to be enthused by.

I think the really irritating thing is that we have the personnel to play exciting football.

I’d love to see Wilson, who could make space in a cupboard, play as our right-sided midfielder.

He would play so well supporting NML.

We should always play Collins and a third forward, either CBT or one of Wash, Wag or Bark (which sounds like a Paul O’Grady show).

Bird and Adams would support Wilson and everything should flow nicely.

Pick four defenders, not hybrids.

Simples!

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I think the really irritating thing is that we have the personnel to play exciting football.

I’d love to see Wilson, who could make space in a cupboard, play as our right-sided midfielder.

We should always play Collins and a third forward, either CBT or one of Wash, Wag or Bark (which sounds like a Paul O’Grady show).

Simples!

Simples indeed. Makes you wonder why we bother with a manager. 😉 #COYR

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Simples!

Just to clarify, do you mean Wilson on the right of a midfield 3 in a 4-3-3, then NML on the right of the attacking 3?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have they adapted their style of play to the Championship or is it only money that allows them to play as they do?

Yes they have, playing at a lower level enables them to control the ball.

Do you think they won the PL based on their current style ?

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Just to clarify, do you mean Wilson on the right of a midfield 3 in a 4-3-3, then NML on the right of the attacking 3?

Yep.

Wildsmith

Nyambe      Nelson  Cashin      Elder

Wilson          Adams         Bird

NML                   Collins           CBT

CBT could be one of our other fit forwards.

3 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Yes they have, playing at a lower level enables them to control the ball.

Do you think they won the PL based on their current style ?

Did we win the 1st Division Championship based on our current style?

11 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yep.

Wildsmith

Whoa whoa there Anag...you've missed out Hourihane our Captain 😉 

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yep.

Wildsmith

I quite like that, Wilson has a bit of physicality about him to do some of the defensive stuff in the middle as well as his ability to carry the ball. Becomes a 4-2-4 in attack almost or can change to a 3-4-3 without taking a player off. 👏 

The lack of excitement at the ground is primarily down to the standard of football being played. As a general point though im not sure our manager appreciates that for over 100 years the club has hardly spent any time down at this level and a large proportion of our match day fans can still remember top class football. Sorry for being a bit arrogant but perhaps Derby fans and certainly myself dont get excited by seeing us draw with the likes of Shrewsbury Town. I strive and expect the club to be challenging at least towards the top of the Championship and hopefully getting into the top tier. Sorry to sound "entitled" but imo we need an injection of arrogance on the pitch not lower league chat and bobble hats! Raise the standards for goodness sake!

Yours Victor Meldrew

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I quite like that, Wilson has a bit of physicality about him to do some of the defensive stuff in the middle as well as his ability to carry the ball. Becomes a 4-2-4 in attack almost or can change to a 3-4-3 without taking a player off. 👏 

Ssshhh...I think PW has just signed in to read the posts, Don't give him ideas 😁

1 minute ago, Ram-Alf said:

Ssshhh...I think PW has just signed in to read the posts, Don't give him ideas 😁

If that’s suggesting I’m Paul Warne I assure you I’ve got a fuller head of hair, a much better beard, and loads of knowledge of attacking possession based football from all the hours I’ve spent playing championship/football manager since the early 2000s. I do share a similar rubbish sense of humour to him however.

As for giving him ideas I’m all for it, I’ve long been an advocate for a more constructive dialogue rather than the cyclical pity parties that breakout from time to time. I’ve said before, those who are so strongly opposed to Warne and his style of play should explore avenues to communicate that to him or stage a proper protest in order to affect the change in manager they so keenly desire. 

22 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

My worry with that is much as I love Wilson he does have the propensity to overdo the trickery and lose the ball and not too sure my heart would survive too much of that if played in that position 🤷🏻‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

My worry with that is much as I love Wilson he does have the propensity to overdo the trickery and lose the ball and not too sure my heart would survive too much of that if played in that position 🤷🏻‍♂️

Can understand your reservations but who from our current midfield options, could you say wouldn’t give the ball away?

At least Wilson gives us the potential to do something good, not just run around as per Thompson, Fornah etc.

We need to get good ball to NML and Wilson will commit defenders to create space for him.

He’s also got the reassurance of Nyambe behind him.

Walking back to the car on Saturday someone near us said very loudly they hoped we didn’t get promotion to get that bastxrd out , that and some of the stuff on here is just beyond me , it’s not like we defend defend defend , spoil the games and try to constantly smash long high balls , we’ve been too gung ho at times for me which seems to be changing in an effort to become less wide open to counter attacks , from what I can see warne wants the ball out wide for pacy players like nml and the new winger to cause havoc in a league where he feels most teams just flood the middle of the park and stifle any effort at football , three promotions , derby top scorers so far this season ,,,,, he may just have a point 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Can understand your reservations but who from our current midfield options, could you say wouldn’t give the ball away?

At least Wilson gives us the potential to do something good, not just run around as per Thompson, Fornah etc.

We need to get good ball to NML and Wilson will commit defenders to create space for him.

He’s also got the reassurance of Nyambe behind him.

It may turn out ok with him there , just giving a poss downside that nags a bit 

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Did we win the 1st Division Championship based on our current style?

I'm not sure what relevance that has, it was 50 years ago. You asked if the foxes played the same when they were in the PL as they do now, the answer is no. Throughout their time in the PL they relied on mostly counter attacking football and the pace of their forwards.

Pretty sure we watered the pitch to stop football being played, to help win the league as well. But I was a only a young un back then so can't say for sure 😏

48 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

For me Wilson as a starter works as a RWB or right midfielder in 4.

He isn't good enough defensively to start as RB nor is he a big enough goal threat to play on the right of a forward 3.