Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

1 hour ago, Returning ram said:

Yes they have, playing at a lower level enables them to control the ball.

Do you think they won the PL based on their current style ?

This is spot on. I was reading only the other day how some of their fans have been getting on Maresco's back because his system isn't as direct and "exciting" as their PL style. They're p*ssing the division and some still aren't happy - they're probably the ones who think plastic clappers have a place in football stadiums.

59 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The lack of excitement at the ground is primarily down to the standard of football being played. As a general point though im not sure our manager appreciates that for over 100 years the club has hardly spent any time down at this level and a large proportion of our match day fans can still remember top class football. Sorry for being a bit arrogant but perhaps Derby fans and certainly myself dont get excited by seeing us draw with the likes of Shrewsbury Town. I strive and expect the club to be challenging at least towards the top of the Championship and hopefully getting into the top tier. Sorry to sound "entitled" but imo we need an injection of arrogance on the pitch not lower league chat and bobble hats! Raise the standards for goodness sake!

Yours Victor Meldrew

Exactly this. 

6 hours ago, ram59 said:

What's the combined cost of the Leicester squad?

Make them give all their players away, including their youngsters that they have nurtured.

Make them sign only free agents on limited wages and then we'll see, especially with teams treating it as their cup final every week. Quite often, big teams are humbled or struggle against league 1 opposition in the cup, even with their mega expensive players. It would be interesting to see how they would cope, having the big name, but without the big players to go with it 

The cost and wages of a player don't determine how good they are as a footballer. If that were true, Phil Jagielka was absolutely terrible for us because he cost £0 and only had £4000 wages.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

If that’s suggesting I’m Paul Warne I assure you I’ve got a fuller head of hair, a much better beard, and loads of knowledge of attacking possession based football from all the hours I’ve spent playing championship/football manager since the early 2000s. I do share a similar rubbish sense of humour to him however.

As for giving him ideas I’m all for it, I’ve long been an advocate for a more constructive dialogue rather than the cyclical pity parties that breakout from time to time. I’ve said before, those who are so strongly opposed to Warne and his style of play should explore avenues to communicate that to him or stage a proper protest in order to affect the change in manager they so keenly desire. 

I see my quip flew over your head.

I was suggesting PW had just signed in and might see your post and give him an Idea above his station.

19 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

have you seen who we're playing against every week?

So what? It seems some fans are reluctant to accept, primarily after going into administration and attempting to deal with the aftermath of that, WE ARE a League one club like it or not. We have to earn promotion with the resources available and within the restrictions we have to work under and do what we can to succeed.

In our current position, I'm not in the least concerned about how we would fare in the Championshop should we get there next season - let's worry about that when the time comes. 

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

In our current position, I'm not in the least concerned about how we would fare in the Championshop should we get there next season - let's worry about that when the time comes. 

Wasn't it short sightedness that contributed to our problems last time...

3 hours ago, Returning ram said:

Leicester have come down with premiership players, comparison is ridiculous. We are having to recruit players for the third tier of football, you aren't going to get players that are technically gifted to play quality attractive football.

That said, PW does play a brand of football that is effective in this league, hence our league position. For all the outcry of attractive football, it's worth noting the only successful manager we have had recently is Billy D, who played a similar brand.

Of course let's all shout about LR and his great football, who after a hefty budget... sits 15 points behind a team that got promoted from this league last season.

Nice Strawman finish there. We are all shouting for Liam are we? I can’t remember the last time I read a forum member calling for him to come back. Actually might you find it for me? 

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The lack of excitement at the ground is primarily down to the standard of football being played. As a general point though im not sure our manager appreciates that for over 100 years the club has hardly spent any time down at this level and a large proportion of our match day fans can still remember top class football. Sorry for being a bit arrogant but perhaps Derby fans and certainly myself dont get excited by seeing us draw with the likes of Shrewsbury Town. I strive and expect the club to be challenging at least towards the top of the Championship and hopefully getting into the top tier. Sorry to sound "entitled" but imo we need an injection of arrogance on the pitch not lower league chat and bobble hats! Raise the standards for goodness sake!

Yours Victor Meldrew

Does your post not contradict itself though ?

The only way we can challenge the top end of the championship is by gaining promotion, which we are on course to do. Draws with teams like "Shrewsbury" are going to happen, unless your expectations are to win every game.

It doesn't just sound entitled but unrealistic, we need to get out this division first, unless your expecting the league to say, hold on, they haven't been down here much before, let's just give them a helping hand 🤨

7 hours ago, ram59 said:

What's the combined cost of the Leicester squad?

Make them give all their players away, including their youngsters that they have nurtured.

Make them sign only free agents on limited wages and then we'll see, especially with teams treating it as their cup final every week. Quite often, big teams are humbled or struggle against league 1 opposition in the cup, even with their mega expensive players. It would be interesting to see how they would cope, having the big name, but without the big players to go with it 

Give them a budget that means they can sign players that 21 of the clubs in the division could only dream of attracting? 

13 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

yet we're playing against them with better players...

How many of our current squad do you reckon would get a place in a League One X1. I'd suggest 2, maybe 3 at most - NML, Cashin and Nelson. Our defensive record suggests a reasonable case can be made in support of Cashin and Nelson though the likes of Edwards at Peterborough appear to be more in demand by clubs higher up the leagues.

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Nice Strawman finish there. We are all shouting for Liam are we? I can’t remember the last time I read a forum member calling for him to come back. Actually might you find it for me? 

apologies accepted 👍

On 29/01/2024 at 19:49,  S8TY said: 

I’ve mentioned this before but I spoke to one of the fa assessors regarding Rosenior and at the time I was very dubious about him as assistant like some on here I wondered if he had any input 

I was told by the assessor himself that …Rosenior was one of the brightest most innovative young coaches he’d seen and said he’d go on to be a great coach and maybe manager …it changed my mind about him and he should’ve been given until the end of the season as minimum ….instead we have archaeic Warne ball percentage basketball end to end no midfield garbage 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

With Clowes funding letting Warne sign for one system and then another is 'boom and bust short-termism'.

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

call it whatever you want, but realistically its all part of the same thing

Not liking Warne, not liking his approach to football, not thinking he’s the manager for this club long term are all well and good, perfectly valid opinions which you clearly hold and regularly champion on this forum.

It’s not comparable to the Morris approach in anyway as far as I’m concerned. Clowes isn’t throwing good money after bad in the same way, he does appear to be committed to some consistency at the club in terms of the current personnel and isn’t rocking the boat (as far as we know) with the EFL, the broadcasters, or the accounting practices.

30 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

So what? It seems some fans are reluctant to accept, primarily after going into administration and attempting to deal with the aftermath of that, WE ARE a League one club like it or not. We have to earn promotion with the resources available and within the restrictions we have to work under and do what we can to succeed.

I agree, though I watched the Coventry v Millwall game yesterday and the standard was much higher than I expected, perhaps just because I've not watched much Championship this season. Then I watched the Soton/Huddersfield game. Even Huddersfield looked good and they might well be a L1 team next season. Given the current crop of management and players, although I'd prefer to be in the Champ than L1, something is going to have to improve significantly, which it may or may not depending on the outlook of the owners.