Ed Dawes

DarkFruitsRam7

Shame i really liked him, his passion for the club was unreal.yes sometimes he went ott with it bit i like that, i want my local radio commentator to live and breath the club as i do.

when he started welling up the day we were saved and was talking about it on RD … that got me big time, think it summed up 30k rams fans 

6 hours ago, valakari said:

Rumours last night he was suing the BBC for wrongful dismissal..allegedly that he was being made redundant, but yet replaced with someone on less money??

If that is the case unfortunately he won't get too far.  It's standard.  They'll take a few bits out, re name the job and crack on.  Been on the receiving end of that one.

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Shame i really liked him, his passion for the club was unreal.yes sometimes he went ott with it bit i like that, i want my local radio commentator to live and breath the club as i do.

when he started welling up the day we were saved and was talking about it on RD … that got me big time, think it summed up 30k rams fans 

This. I often joked about it, but it was always assuming we all understood the place it came from.

He was fine as far as I was concerned, yes he said daft things that irritated some, he said other other things that I would think fair game for a bit of mickey taking but he didn't deserve the grief he got. He wasn't the best commentator radio derby ever had, but he did care about the club and was a fan.

Hope he's holding up.

• 3 months later...

Having only just discovered the saga of this thread I can only say welcome back Ed, and FFS, I think I'd prefer hearing Ed on commentary than reading some of the sh** we post here sometimes. 

Also, good luck to Sally, hadn't realized she'd left RD. Always thought she was one of the better presenters on RD tbh.

Re matchday commentary, I think those of us who grew up with Graham Richards have been spoiled somewhat.

I never really understood all the negativity myself. Personally I quite like to have the contrast on local radio of someone a bit more 'heart on sleeve', particularly if they are alongside someone a bit more analytical. For my tastes there is enough dry analysis of football these days from stat-grinders talking about XG or whatever so on local radio in particular I'm happy to hear a few instinctive and occasionally emotional comments and opinions as that is a much better fit for the game that I personally am following.

I definitely don't always agree with him but then that's not the point of his style I guess. He's a bit like that bloke at the pub after you drop in for a pint after the game. Sometimes you'll find yourself nodding to his comments and others you'll think nah, that's way too harsh on player X because player Y has constantly left him exposed by offering no cover.

I find his commentary to be awful. People talking about a commentator having a bit of passion, but I just find him to flip between moaning and shouting. He offers his analysis of the game when it has about as much weight as mine, and is something that I think should be left to the expert co-commentator. I also feel like he tries to be Graham Richards, taking a lot of inspiration from the ‘he’s dropped it’ line (which was partly great because how many times did GR actually get *that* animated), but just doesn’t have the skill to convey it properly so it just comes off as a shouting fan rather than an excited broadcaster with a vested interest in proceedings. 

It is different strokes for different folks, of course, but I’ve found radio derby far more enjoyable without him. I’m glad he’s doing better, but I know that I won’t be listening to him if they are bringing him back. I found RD a far more positive and enjoyable listen without him there and hope that it stays as it is with Dom covering the commentary. 

It's going to be hard to get rid of the current matchday set up at the moment with Gibbo back on as the presenter and Dom as the main commentator. Dom for me really does do a better job of describing the play in more detail and is far less dramatic and more factual when there's a contentious decision/moment in the game. Sometimes with Ed it felt too much that you were listening to a fan who's mic'd up than someone who was commentating. I'm just happy that the recent wave of BBC radio cuts this past year didn't result in the football service stopping or in some cases with other BBC local radio sport services sharing the commentary with the opposition.

Edited by eddielewis

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

"Palace are absolutely aghast, they cannot understand it...and Nigel Martyn knew the dummies in front of him had let him down" is etched on my brain forever, it's my favourite line from commentary of all time.

"And Wanchope treated the Manchester United defense with absolute contempt" is mine I think 😎