Ed Dawes

DarkFruitsRam7

I've always found it weird that people can hate or dislike someone they disagree with on the internet. I blame the government for running down the Pub industry. Back in t'day, these conversations would happen over a table and a beer but everyone was still mates about it. I've had hours of football disagreements with all my mates, especially Liverpool fans! But there's no hatred. People need to grow a backbone and stop being so fecking precious about being "shotdown"... so what if someone thinks you're wrong!!

Ed Dawes is marmite for me. In general, he's a pretty good commentator, and anyone who thinks he isn't, should travel around the country and listen to what some clubs have to put up with. Dawes is very high up on the standard of local radio commentary I can assure you.

He has been guilty of going rogue in commentary a few times, some attempts at "banter" fell flat, albeit the intention was good.

Edited by Mostyn6
typo

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

I've always found it weird that people can hate or dislike someone they disagree with on the internet. I blame the government for running down the Pub industry. Back in t'day, these conversations would happen over a table and a beer but everyone was still mates about it. I've had hours of football disagreements with all my mates, especially Liverpool fans! But there's no hatred. People need to grow a backbone and stop being so fecking precious about being "shotdown"... so what if someone thinks you're wrong!!

Ed Dawes in marmite for me. In general, he's a pretty good commentator, and anyone who thinks he isn't, should travel around the country and listen to what some clubs have to put up with. Dawes is very high up on the standard of local radio commentary I can assure you.

He has been guilty of going rogue in commentary a few times, some attempts at "banter" fell flat, albeit the intention was good.

Definitely right about the pub. Plus those weirdos in the pub who talked garbage...their idiotic points of view could be safely laughed at and perhaps they became normal members of society. 

Now these weirdos can link up with similar weirdos from anywhere in the world, providing a large percentage of extreme online content from a very small handful of actual people.

I was visiting my brother over Christmas and when we went to the Coop, he said hello to the Liverpool supporter cashier and commented on Lpool going top of the league.

The response from the cashier was along the lines of how some mysterious force called "they" would be fed up because "they" didn't want Liverpool to win the league. It was just a fact of life that their was a conspiracy against Liverpool, although one that still allows them to regularly challenge for trophies.

In person, this guy seemed ridiculous and would be laughed at going down the pub and spouting such nonsense. But online, he can join in with 1000s of other similar fools, egged on by clickbait chasing media outlets.

Thank god us Derby fans are different. I'm just off now to read the Barnsley Thread. Bet there are lots of great discussions about who should play where and how everyone is getting excited about a big away day...

On 23/09/2023 at 19:27, Carnero said:

Ian Hall 

He has dementia now and lives in (I think) Spain. His son took over the 3 Stage at Darley Bridge. 

Used to chat with him regularly in The Strand in Matlock. Always a dour so and so pouring scorn on my optimism.

Then again, he said we'd overpaid for Kitson, Pembridge and Gabbiadini, so he was probably more on the case than me.

12 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

He has dementia now and lives in (I think) Spain. His son took over the 3 Stage at Darley Bridge. 

Used to chat with him regularly in The Strand in Matlock. Always a dour so and so pouring scorn on my optimism.

Then again, he said we'd overpaid for Kitson, Pembridge and Gabbiadini, so he was probably more on the case than me.

We got money than our money back on Kitson, Pembridge, Short and Johnson and Gabbiadini and Simpson got us promotion. He was dour and wrong.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

We got money than our money back on Kitson, Pembridge, Short and Johnson and Gabbiadini and Simpson got us promotion. He was dour and wrong.

I didn't mention Short because he rated him, even when he was playing poorly and very few others did.

He was on the fence iirc about Tommy.

We may have got our money back, but none was worth what we paid and got paid. All 3 flattered to deceive. 

I'm pleased to see ED back, and wish him good fortune in anything he takes on. When listening to his thoughts on commentary I cant say I agreed with all of them, but hey that's people. Yeah he'd move from elation to morbidity in 3 minutes, but welcome to life as a Derby fan.

As long as I could get an impression of who has the ball, and when; along with an impression of how the game is going, then that'll do. 

Nearly losing Derby hurt him too, we could tell that on the radio surely? He's one of "us". I enjoy DDs commentary too and for my thoughts has give no reason to be supplanted as the lead commentator , so we'll just have to see.

But GR was a legend, I seem to remember the Play Offs against Millwall words to the effect of: "Those pea brained morons, wrecked me van". 

Glad to see Ed is back. His commentary isn't for me as he simply couldn't accurately describe the game. I'd watch the highlights and they rarely reflected what I heard on the radio. However, despite me not being a fan of his work, he must have gone through a horrible time. He clearly cares about the club and wants to see it flourish. He's a part of the derby county community and we should all wish him well on his return. 

7 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Hope they let Dom continue on commentary and keep Dawes to the phone-in - there's been a vast improvement in quality of the matchday coverage since Dawes left.....

Has there? I think at most it is as good as it was. Not vastly better.

I often think the quality of the commentary actually depends on the insight/quality of broadcasting coming from the co-host/ex-player they've got joining them!

I think it's great to have Ed back and I hope he's in a good place.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I didn't mention Short because he rated him, even when he was playing poorly and very few others did.

We may have got our money back, but none was worth what we paid and got paid. All 3 flattered to deceive. 

We may have slightly overpaid because everyine onew we had money. The problem wasn't the individual players it was the balance of the team. 

44 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Has there? I think at most it is as good as it was. Not vastly better.

I often think the quality of the commentary actually depends on the insight/quality of broadcasting coming from the co-host/ex-player they've got joining them!

I think it's great to have Ed back and I hope he's in a good place.

There's been a seismic improvement. With Dom I at least know which end of the pitch the ball is at and what the team are trying to do - that's frequently a mystery with Dawes. There have been occasions with Dawes when a goal has been scored and I haven't even known whether it was for us or the opposition.

I don't wish Ed any ill at all - I just want a level of basic competence on the commentary that he simply doesn't possess.....and that's before he witters on about pigeons, trains or what the referee should have done in any particular situation. If they put him back on commentary I'll be back to relying on score flashes on my phone or updates from the good folk on here....

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Which 3?

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

There's been a seismic improvement. With Dom I at least know which end of the pitch the ball is at and what the team are trying to do - that's frequently a mystery with Dawes. There have been occasions with Dawes when a goal has been scored and I haven't even known whether it was for us or the opposition.

I don't wish Ed any ill at all - I just want a level of basic competence on the commentary that he simply doesn't possess.....and that's before he witters on about pigeons, trains or what the referee should have done in any particular situation. If they put him back on commentary I'll be back to relying on score flashes on my phone or updates from the good folk on here....

Agree It's no knock on him actually I think Ed would make a good commentator for Rams TV because he would provide a bit more drama whilst not having to provide the play by play.