Ed Dawes

DarkFruitsRam7

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I've always found it weird that people can hate or dislike someone they disagree with on the internet. I blame the government for running down the Pub industry. Back in t'day, these conversations would happen over a table and a beer but everyone was still mates about it. I've had hours of football disagreements with all my mates, especially Liverpool fans! But there's no hatred. People need to grow a backbone and stop being so fecking precious about being "shotdown"... so what if someone thinks you're wrong!!

Ed Dawes is marmite for me. In general, he's a pretty good commentator, and anyone who thinks he isn't, should travel around the country and listen to what some clubs have to put up with. Dawes is very high up on the standard of local radio commentary I can assure you.

He has been guilty of going rogue in commentary a few times, some attempts at "banter" fell flat, albeit the intention was good.

Pubs ruined the pub industry. Serving crap beer in awful environments then moaning that supermarket prices have taken all their trade.

Funny how nice pubs with good beer are still going.

Anyway. I'm off to the pub.

15 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Pubs ruined the pub industry. Serving crap beer in awful environments then moaning that supermarket prices have taken all their trade.

Funny how nice pubs with good beer are still going.

Anyway. I'm off to the pub.

Hmmm....I think Government legislation, punitive business rates, differential taxation between the pub industry and the big supermarkets etc, and the repressive pubco model must take the lion's share of the blame. Changes in demographics have had a big impact too. 

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Hmmm....I think Government legislation, punitive business rates, differential taxation between the pub industry and the big supermarkets etc, and the repressive pubco model must take the lion's share of the blame. Changes in demographics have had a big impact too. 

Definitely didn't help. It meant those pubs who didn't improve, or happened to be in a bad area struggled. But a lot of pubs needed to adapt to survive, and plenty didn't.

Agree totally with pubco pubs. I tend to avoid them where possible so I didn't take them into account with the above. I used to run one and we had to sneak our own beer barrels in, bought off the pub over the road. Was the only way we could afford to get beer in that we could sell for a profit. The pedigree the brewery sold us was about twice the price. It was like Marston's wanted us to die.

45 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Definitely didn't help. It meant those pubs who didn't improve, or happened to be in a bad area struggled. But a lot of pubs needed to adapt to survive, and plenty didn't.

Agree totally with pubco pubs. I tend to avoid them where possible so I didn't take them into account with the above. I used to run one and we had to sneak our own beer barrels in, bought off the pub over the road. Was the only way we could afford to get beer in that we could sell for a profit. The pedigree the brewery sold us was about twice the price. It was like Marston's wanted us to die.

We're obviously getting off topic here a bit but round my way, there has been a significant die-off of traditional pubs but very few that I'd miss that much. The good ones are still here and most have thought very carefully about their offering and we are probably at roughly the same density of watering holes overall but now have more 'bars' than traditional pubs, usually offering something a bit different to their pub predecessors though. For example, in amongst the usual pubs we have a tiny sports bar with an excellent array of good European lagers where you inevitably end up chatting to the people next to you because it's such a compact bar, a Belgian themed bar which is pricey but very good plus a totally new-build pub which is the taproom for the local brewery and has nice furniture and the floor isn't sticky with one of those carpets that you can't tell what colour or pattern is was originally 😉.

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

We're obviously getting off topic here a bit but round my way, there has been a significant die-off of traditional pubs but very few that I'd miss that much. The good ones are still here and most have thought very carefully about their offering and we are probably at roughly the same density of watering holes overall but now have more 'bars' than traditional pubs, usually offering something a bit different to their pub predecessors though. For example, in amongst the usual pubs we have a tiny sports bar with an excellent array of good European lagers where you inevitably end up chatting to the people next to you because it's such a compact bar, a Belgian themed bar which is pricey but very good plus a totally new-build pub which is the taproom for the local brewery and has nice furniture and the floor isn't sticky with one of those carpets that you can't tell what colour or pattern is was originally 😉.

You live in continental Europe then 😂

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You didn’t rate Gabbiadini….really?? Became a 🐏 legend in my view.

That wasn't the conversation.

He was ok, but not much more. He was as likely to hit one over the Ossie End roof as into the net, and his control could be atrocious at times.

His record of 50 goals in 188 games was hardly prolific, and any legendary status he has now (which is debatable) is more down to his attitude, work rate and clear fondness for Derby.

H was the anti-Kitson who had a higher goal per-game rate and was more skilful, but was sulky and lazy.

25 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

He was ok, but not much more. He was as likely to hit one over the Ossie End roof as into the net, and his control could be atrocious at times.

His record of 50 goals in 188 games was hardly prolific, and any legendary status he has now (which is debatable) is more down to his attitude, work rate and clear fondness for Derby.

H was the anti-Kitson who had a higher goal per-game rate and was more skilful, but was sulky and lazy.

We've had some fantastic sides that contrived not to get promoted over the years, but the best is a toss-up between the Johnson/Gabbiadini/Kitson side and the Mac I side. A crying shame that neither was tested in the top flight. 

As far as J/G/K go, I've followed Derby since around '87 and it's probably in my top 3 most-exciting forward lines during that time, along with Saunders/Goddard and Wanchope/Baiano/Sturridge. J/G/K seemed to complement each over quite nicely.

1 hour ago, WystonRam said:

You live in continental Europe then 😂

Feels like it at times ! They partly rebuilt our market next to the old site and turned the old building into a Bier Keller style eatery and drinks hall with different businesses with serving counters looking out onto the main hall. You order whatever sort of drink you want from the relevant serving hatch and likewise food so you can grab a pizza (proper pizza oven) and a glass of wine if that's your thing and sit down next to a mate who opted for a locally made pie and pint from regional and often local breweries.

It's amazingly successful but it's crazy busy at weekends so in truth I don't go very often! My excellent local is only 5 mins walk away so don't tend to get past that very often. I believe the market redevelopment won national awards as a redevelopment project.

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

J/G/K seemed to complement each over quite nicely.

I'd say exactly the opposite; they couldn't work together. The sums of their parts rarely equalled the whole. It was rumoured or maybe true, that Gabbiadini and Kitson hated each other. None of them were ever consistent enough

I thought the side under Arthur that went up was amazing. The speed that they could counter with Gee, Davison NC and GM was breathtaking.

15 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'd say exactly the opposite; they couldn't work together. The sums of their parts rarely equalled the whole. It was rumoured or maybe true, that Gabbiadini and Kitson hated each other. None of them were ever consistent enough

I thought the side under Arthur that went up was amazing. The speed that they could counter with Gee, Davison NC and GM was breathtaking.

It was Gee’s short shorts, he could how you say, really open his legs up with those hot pants on.  Not like today, they act like sails and slow players down.

Bring back short Shorts!!

Family Guy Summer GIF

22 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I was at a QA session with Gabbiadini at Pride Park a couple of years ago and his relationship with Kitson came up. safe to say that the rumours were true.

29 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Paul Kitson. Always flattered to deceive.

After leaving Derby he spent eight years at West ham and Newcastle United clocking up less than a hundred league appearances in those eight years as these site in their reserves.

What a waste of a talent.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

That wasn't the conversation.

Gabbiadinis second touch was usually a tackle, that’s why he looked like he worked hard.

Kitson was a technically a better player but always came across as a miserable sod