Ed Dawes

DarkFruitsRam7

21 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I enjoyed last night's Sport scene, particularly because it didn't have anyone from the fan panel (some of whom are great, but some of whom get away with saying things which are inaccurate or just plain wrong), though the caller who questioned whether Adams had been "found out" had me pulling my hair out.

As for the Rams TV coverage, I think it's far superior to anything I've seen at this level and is probably better than most clubs at Championship level.

Agree. Mainly because of the objectivity imo.

I watched the Debrief on Sunday and commented to Mrs Bat that it's always good to see that @Owen87ITK and SB can be critical when they feel it's appropriate rather than it being some sort of club Pravda output.

I like the rams daily podcast. Living far, far, away from derby its a great way of keeping up to date.. along with RamsTV.

It'll be a massive shame when the BBC run out of money and they have to have one broadcast for each game.

Back in the mel era when I guess the budget was a bit higher, I really enjoyed the RamsTV meets series.

Edited by alexxxxx

7 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I like the rams daily podcast. Living far, far, away from derby its a great way of keeping up to date.. along with RamsTV.

It'll be a massive shame when the BBC run out of money and they have to have one broadcast for each game.

Back in the mel era when I guess the budget was a bit higher, I really enjoyed the RamsTV meets series.

Similar for me.  Having the commentary etc on RamsTV and the daily podcasts made moving away from Derbyshire a lot easier - I'd be lost without them.

It was great to hear Ed Dawes back commentating (although I liked Dom's commentary as well) and I enjoy the different personalities they have on each week.  Some are arguably better than others and some more biased than others but when you listen to local coverage you expect a bit of that, its not like you're listening to a generic game on Sky this is our club!

Question: do BBC Radio Derby have an archive?? In particular, Derby County commentaries, and specifically back to the Graham Richards era (early 80’s onwards, was it??)?? The reason I ask is that there are of course a few YouTube videos preserving the magnificent GR commentaries, but I know that there was so much more. Preserving more of his commentaries would be something I could get passionate about tbh. If anyone has any clue how to do this, I’d be very interested to know more. It would be a tragedy if the voice of one of the best football commentators ever were to be mostly lost. Let’s not wait until he dies to begin this project.

6 hours ago, DB83 said:

Question: do BBC Radio Derby have an archive?? In particular, Derby County commentaries, and specifically back to the Graham Richards era (early 80’s onwards, was it??)?? The reason I ask is that there are of course a few YouTube videos preserving the magnificent GR commentaries, but I know that there was so much more. Preserving more of his commentaries would be something I could get passionate about tbh. If anyone has any clue how to do this, I’d be very interested to know more. It would be a tragedy if the voice of one of the best football commentators ever were to be mostly lost. Let’s not wait until he dies to begin this project.

All archived on the Beeb, used to work years ago, not anymore. 👍😁

https://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/rams/derby_county_interviews.shtml

4 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Well he's been back for two games and we've lost both - that can't be a coincidence.....bring back Dom 😉

Errr, not sure we can actually pin that on his shoulders lol. 

I’ve noted he’s been more positive in the last two matches and when he has been negative has paused and changed subject.

3 hours ago, Top Lino said:

To be fair to Ed it must be very difficult to commentate on Derby games this season which on the whole have been dull even when we win.

What do you comment on with Derby. And there the ball gets lumped up again to no one. I’d hate to commentate on Derby games 

2 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

What do you comment on with Derby. And there the ball gets lumped up again to no one. I’d hate to commentate on Derby games 

I don’t think you need to worry, can’t see you getting called up any time soon.

It is of course totally the fault of Ed Dawes that we have lost the last two games. But, I also wore a new jumper. So, as much as I hate to say, it may well be my fault rather than Ed’s… sorry everyone 😝

1 hour ago, DB83 said:

It is of course totally the fault of Ed Dawes that we have lost the last two games. But, I also wore a new jumper. So, as much as I hate to say, it may well be my fault rather than Ed’s… sorry everyone 😝

You treacherous swine - bring back the old jumper! I haven't worn the same pair of lucky underpants since 1983 for pleasure you know!

• 1 month later...

The thing with Ed Dawes, is it's easy to forget there are much much worse commentators littering local radio coverage. He's genuinely not that bad, and imo much better for the absence of the rammage banter.

He cares, he does his best, he's frequently been on the end of fans venting frustrations far beyond not liking his commentary.

Graham Richards, Ross Fletcher, Colin Bloomfield (who was not a natural sports commentator and really had to work at it) Owen, Dom, Colin Gibson, Radio Derby genuinely do a really good job of covering DCFC and I'm pretty sure that's because they do love the club beyond doing the job.

I had the choice to go to either the pub or the golf club yesterday to watch the match live but decided to stay home and listen on the radio - the passion and genuine feelings towards Derby made it a memorable afternoon and, for me at least, much more enjoyable than going out to watch in a pub in North Yorkshire!

They have their critics, but personally speaking I have really enjoyed the matchday team on Radio Derby this season. Its been good to have Ed Dawes back and I hope he sticks around for a good while longer.