Ed Dawes

DarkFruitsRam7

I think this just proves that some people like some broadcasters, while other people think they’re crap.

And other people like other broadcasters, while some people think *they’re* crap.

Guess what? You’re all right. 

Personally, I’ve got no issue with criticism and no problem with someone who doesn’t particularly rate me. I don’t really mind them telling me that either. But that’s just me. 

33 minutes ago, Owen87ITK said:

I think this just proves that some people like some broadcasters, while other people think they’re crap.

And other people like other broadcasters, while some people think *they’re* crap.

Personally, I’ve got no issue with criticism and no problem with someone who doesn’t particularly rate me. I don’t really mind them telling me that either. But that’s just me. 

Oh come on, it's not nearly as much fun if we know that it doesn't affect you. So how does Shawn Barker feel about criticism?

7 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

The point being that if anyone is absent from work the most likely explanation is some health or other personal issue. You suggest it would have been better to explain the issue to stop people saying stupid stuff. But personal issues are just that, no one’s business but theirs. If someone is taking time out they just want a break from everything and not worrying about having to explain things to every douchebag on twitter. 

Come on mate.  That's a bit harsh.  
Accusing @therealhantsram of using twitter?  Steady on!  👀

2 hours ago, Owen87ITK said:

I feel a poll coming on.

I thought you were good btw and the best summariser was Gary Rowett going back many years. 

2 hours ago, Owen87ITK said:

"I think you're crap"

... is a fair comment to make, if that be the case.  (See what I did there!) 👀

After all, what are internet forums for, if not for opinions?

But I feel some have been guilty of making comments that go beyond... or should that be "below"?... what most folk deem acceptable, when spouting their opinions on the interweb. 
You don't need me to tell you there is a world of difference between criticism and personal abuse.  It appears that Owd Dawesy has had more than his fair share of personal abuse, over recent years.  
Yeah, some are strong enough to bat such anonymous keyboard warriors away, but not all.  And being unable to do so does not make one weak... imo.

For the record, I'm not a regular RD listener, but when I do tune in, it's all a bit meh for me.  I hear enough to keep me updated, so I guess he is getting the message across... which is what he gets paid for.  I ain't listening specifically to be entertained, as such.

I wish him well, and hope he is feeling better... and back in the fold... sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, Owen87ITK said:

I don't mind you but that Owen Bradley guy is crap, I'm glad he left radio derby. 

The root problem here is that many people think those who work in front of the camera or on the radio are like cartoon characters, and not real human beings. Social media exacerbates this because it invites us to judge people and pile on.

I'm not drawing a connection between some not liking Ed's work and his current mental health, I'm just saying "lets all be a bit more kind and think before we speak about others".

On 23/09/2023 at 20:48, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Alternatively, he seems to have got into the habit of doing things like reading texts and then telling people not to text in if that's their opinion.  Not ideal for a fella doing the commentary.

Yes it's probably that aspect of his work that some people don't like. In the past I listened to the RD commentary if I couldn't get to games, but I don't like the RD sportscene prog anymore, so I just don't tune in. I tend to listen to the 5 Live roundup, where you will also catch Chris Coles with his 30 second input from some or other game, usually championship. 

9 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Well I think you are excellent and where have you been lately? I miss your commentaries - sorry Michael.

Thank you. I still think commentary is the thing I’m not as strong at, FWIW. 

Currently on my honeymoon. Back for Blackpool next Tuesday, but then missing the Saturday for my little brother’s wedding.

Here til the bitter end after that!