Ed Dawes

DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Personally I like Ed’s passion and Eric’s analysis. I’d rather have a Rams supporter commentating than some bog standard BBC employee and in Eric you get someone with an unrivalled knowledge of the game and our club. 
It seems to me that some on here just want uncritical, DCFC-can-do-no-wrong coverage on RD rather than actual opinion. If that’s what you want get a Rams TV pass and you can have that every game. 

I think Eric has become as big a dinosaur as Ian Hall was to be honest. 

On 24/02/2024 at 21:59, DB83 said:

My three GR favourites are the entirety of the away play-off semi-final at Millwall, the two goals in 30 seconds against Leeds in our first PL game, and the Shane Nicholson Goal of the Century in the Cup quarter final against Sheffield Wednesday (all of which are available on YouTube btw).

“He’s dropped it, Shilton’s dropped it” comes quite close 😀

Thought Ed was very much improved, more balanced and less moaning at the officials. Actually commentating on the game. To say he's not been commentating for awhile, excellent from him. 

I get the impression Eric Steele can't stand Paul Warne football. He used to be more upbeat and positive with his analysis, for example when Cocu was in charged. Maybe he is more of a fan of the possession based style rather than Warne's counter attacking set up. He definitely simmers his opinion on the football being presented, rightly or wrongly.

I wish Malcolm Christie still lived in the area. He would be an excellent full time commentator alongside Ed or Dom. You can tell he has got his passion back for football and tries to gain positives out of performances with his insights.

100% agree with @archram re Ed's return to work. 

If ever I stumble upon other local radio match commentaries, I find myself thinking that I'm very lucky to have Radio Derby as one of my daily sources of news, post-match analysis and, when I can't get to matches, live commentary.

Some local stations are no better than the BBC website text commentary......"goal by Garnacho from edge of penalty area" .....for his overhead worldie.

ED is more like the text cricket commentary with a bit of humour, off-piste stuff ......and DCFC bias, which I understand is a matter of taste but which I think is much better than local radio average.

Over the years we've been very lucky to have some tremendous commentators and co-commentators who are hard acts to follow or work alongside........the legendary Graham Richards, who has been referenced multiple times here, more recently Chris Coles and even this season we've had Martin Match of the Day Fisher setting a pretty high bar. And, of course Dom D has been brilliant.........but, in my humble opinion, that doesn't make ED anything other than much better than average for local radio.

Similarly for co-comms......We've had some that are brilliant, less brilliant, and some that are more or less upbeat. Out of the current crop, I find Adam Bolder the best all-round package and invariably Darren Robinson has some interesting angles on games.......but it's local radio - and I think Eric is much better than local radio average.

5 hours ago, Jayram said:

Personally I like Ed’s passion and Eric’s analysis. I’d rather have a Rams supporter commentating than some bog standard BBC employee and in Eric you get someone with an unrivalled knowledge of the game and our club. 
It seems to me that some on here just want uncritical, DCFC-can-do-no-wrong coverage on RD rather than actual opinion. If that’s what you want get a Rams TV pass and you can have that every game. 

Have you watched RamsTV, Jay? Because that isn’t what you get on RamsTV.

Not quite sure why you feel the need to bring that in. 

6 hours ago, Gaspode said:

his utter obsession with proving how clever he is because he’s managed to qualify as a ref

My teenager qualified last year, it's incredibly straight forward to do it. It's about £150 and a weekly evening session for about 2 months. They did everything possible to make you pass, there's no exams, you basically just have to attend the evening sessions then they "watch" the first 5 games.

Usually for youngsters refereeing junior football, it'll be the league organiser just walking around the many pitches they have going on at once. A quick glance over at your pitch to see if all is fine and that's it really. 

7 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

My teenager qualified last year, it's incredibly straight forward to do it. It's about £150 and a weekly evening session for about 2 months. They did everything possible to make you pass, there's no exams, you basically just have to attend the evening sessions then they "watch" the first 5 games.

Usually for youngsters refereeing junior football, it'll be the league organiser just walking around the many pitches they have going on at once. A quick glance over at your pitch to see if all is fine and that's it really. 

Surely they have to answer a questionnaire to make sure they hate Derby?

Fwiiw, because I see a bit of nitpicking over the last few pages, but Radio Derby’s coverage has been really good since the administration days. I have long thought that how the dealt with that season was very under appreciated by our fan base, but between Ed and Chris Coles they provided excellent interviews, discussion and updates pretty much every single day in a clear manner. I always remember Ed talking to the Wigan administrators early on who basically called what would happen ie, you’d get someone who claims themselves to be your saviour, they’ll fail and it’ll cause a serious contender to put their hat in the ring and get it sorted. Also the now infamous Knighton interview (KNIGHTON!)

But since then, I think Dom has been a welcome addition and really grown into his role but I do think the coverage has really stepped up with Colin Gibson returning. Tonight’s sportscene with Eric Steele was an excellent listen and was all from how Colin Gibson steered the conversation and they both made great points about Saturday and a couple of underlying problems. 

I know this post isnt really about Ed, I get he’s marmite but I do think he takes the brunt of a lot stuff that isn’t really his fault. I kinda see it that he’s a bit of an anorak and think he needs someone with a bit of ‘colour’ rather than maybe having two guys who are trying to elbow in their opinions, stats etc. But I still don’t think as an overall package you’ll get a better resource to following your club than what I hear most days through the Rams Daily podcast (sprinkled with a few looks on DCFCFans ofcourse and a bit of RamsTV when available), I’d really recommend people  take advantage of what we get through Radio Derby so we don’t end up bemoaning the fact it’s gone when it’s too late.

8 hours ago, Owen87ITK said:

Have you watched RamsTV, Jay? Because that isn’t what you get on RamsTV.

Not quite sure why you feel the need to bring that in. 

We are lucky to have both high quality local radio coverage and club's own coverage. Probably 2 more quality outputs than most other club's supporters get.

Yet still we moan and moan. Struggle that people actually refuse to listen to Radio Derby coverage because of who is commentating. Don't you want to follow the game? What do you do instead? Refresh BBC text commentary?

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Don't you want to follow the game? What do you do instead? Refresh BBC text commentary?

So you're saying the text commentary doesn't make for a exciting and gripping experience? 

Goal! Barnsley 0, Derby County 1. Sonny Bradley (Derby County) header from the centre of the box to the top right corner. Assisted by Conor Hourihane with a cross following a corner.

It's almost like being there....

18 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

100% agree with @archram re Ed's return to work. 

If ever I stumble upon other local radio match commentaries, I find myself thinking that I'm very lucky to have Radio Derby as one of my daily sources of news, post-match analysis and, when I can't get to matches, live commentary.

Some local stations are no better than the BBC website text commentary......"goal by Garnacho from edge of penalty area" .....for his overhead worldie.

ED is more like the text cricket commentary with a bit of humour, off-piste stuff ......and DCFC bias, which I understand is a matter of taste but which I think is much better than local radio average.

Over the years we've been very lucky to have some tremendous commentators and co-commentators who are hard acts to follow or work alongside........the legendary Graham Richards, who has been referenced multiple times here, more recently Chris Coles and even this season we've had Martin Match of the Day Fisher setting a pretty high bar. And, of course Dom D has been brilliant.........but, in my humble opinion, that doesn't make ED anything other than much better than average for local radio.

Similarly for co-comms......We've had some that are brilliant, less brilliant, and some that are more or less upbeat. Out of the current crop, I find Adam Bolder the best all-round package and invariably Darren Robinson has some interesting angles on games.......but it's local radio - and I think Eric is much better than local radio average.

I find Christie better than Bolder. 

Robinson is technically excellent but I know a lot of people find his stuff too detailed for RD.

9 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

So you're saying the text commentary doesn't make for a exciting and gripping experience? 

Goal! Barnsley 0, Derby County 1. Sonny Bradley (Derby County) header from the centre of the box to the top right corner. Assisted by Conor Hourihane with a cross following a corner.

It's almost like being there....

Needs to read in the positive chirpy American auto reader voice to really have it's full impact.

I enjoyed last night's Sport scene, particularly because it didn't have anyone from the fan panel (some of whom are great, but some of whom get away with saying things which are inaccurate or just plain wrong), though the caller who questioned whether Adams had been "found out" had me pulling my hair out.

As for the Rams TV coverage, I think it's far superior to anything I've seen at this level and is probably better than most clubs at Championship level.