Ed Dawes

DarkFruitsRam7

Sorry to hear this, and I hope Ed feels better soon.

Not living in the area I don't get to listen to live commentary on BBC Radio Derby, but I download the Rams Daily podcasts and enjoy listening to what he has to say in his analysis and interviews. 

Shan't get into that can of worms that is the ills of social media, but no job should mean you have to take directed vitriol if someone doesn't agree with you or like what your doing. I recall the grief he got over reporting/breaking the news that the Chris Kirchner deal was about to collapse. Must be hard to take.

Located where I am, my radio picks up several different football commentaries, there's some terrible waffle on many a local station. Some barely talk and sound like they're commentating on snooker or cricket, others mention the game probably once a blue moon. It's a horrendous listen. 

Whilst anything is obviously subjective, the job Ed does is for me very good indeed. He balances the actual game commentary with a Derby supporters angle. If I can't get to a game, I want to feel that I'm at the game. With Ed and any of the pundits, I do feel that I'm at the game with the excitement, the groans, moans and everything in between.

Sure, there's the odd occasion that I don't agree with some conversations, but that's natural, it's an opinion lead sport. Just look at the lineups given by posters here pre match, different selections, formations and tactics. That's football.

Shame she had to, but good for her for calling out that moron. Over the months he’s perfectly embodied the entitled element of our fan base who seemingly blanked out that we nearly went bust and that this isn’t football manager. Confidently stating Clowes should sell up if he doesn’t have the ambition required of a club our size and other troll-tastic quips only possible if you’ve swapped your brain for excrement. And if that’s really your opinion (and we’re entitled to not not all agree), but then stand by your convictions, instead of deleting when called out. Says it all really.

And Ed isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, fine, but he gets far more stick than he deserves and I hope he’s in a place to feel he can come back soon.

41 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Located where I am, my radio picks up several different football commentaries, there's some terrible waffle on many a local station. Some barely talk and sound like they're commentating on snooker or cricket, others mention the game probably once a blue moon. It's a horrendous listen. 

Whilst anything is obviously subjective, the job Ed does is for me very good indeed. He balances the actual game commentary with a Derby supporters angle. If I can't get to a game, I want to feel that I'm at the game. With Ed and any of the pundits, I do feel that I'm at the game with the excitement, the groans, moans and everything in between.

Sure, there's the odd occasion that I don't agree with some conversations, but that's natural, it's an opinion lead sport. Just look at the lineups given by posters here pre match, different selections, formations and tactics. That's football.

Was going to post similar. I've listened to match commentary from several other local radio stations and not one compares favourably with Radio Derby. I think sometimes we take RD for granted. It's so intertwined with the club. Graham Richards, Colin Broomfield and Ed Dawes have been the voice of Derby County for so many.

Personally, I really enjoy Ed's commentary. Yes, he gets swept up in the moment sometimes...but so do I when watching Derby County play. What's the point if you don't get passionate?

I'm so sorry to hear that Ed is struggling. We nearly lost our club and the man was in tears. I kind of remember a saying - we're all Derby aren't we? Maybe a show of support for a true Ram?

Can we do a clap on Saturday? Anyone got any ideas on an appropriate minute?

26 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Was going to post similar. I've listened to match commentary from several other local radio stations and not one compares favourably with Radio Derby. I think sometimes we take RD for granted. It's so intertwined with the club. Graham Richards, Colin Broomfield and Ed Dawes have been the voice of Derby County for so many.

Personally, I really enjoy Ed's commentary. Yes, he gets swept up in the moment sometimes...but so do I when watching Derby County play. What's the point if you don't get passionate?

I'm so sorry to hear that Ed is struggling. We nearly lost our club and the man was in tears. I kind of remember a saying - we're all Derby aren't we? Maybe a show of support for a true Ram?

Can we do a clap on Saturday? Anyone got any ideas on an appropriate minute?

Another to agree with this. Certainly as far as local radio commentary goes, RD is bloody good. The standard of commentary/ journalism we've had is great.

8 hours ago, DiggerB said:
10 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Who said in 2010 that Eric was the best goalkeeping coach in the world and also employed Eric as United's defensive coach.

In my opinion if you don't like listening to Eric Steele talking about football you simply don't like football and shouldn't bother listening in the first place.

Bit passive-aggressive there buddy. I don’t mind his commentary, and think he makes some insightful points. But the constant name-drop is a little tiresome now. We know Eric, we know!

Not aggressive at all, just an opinion and it wasn't directed at what you'd said but the person who you'd responded to. You pointed out that he'd worked with Ferguson; I now see from what what you said that you were having a dig at him for name-dropping. He didn't really have to because in his second autobiography Ferguson goes overboard in praising Eric. Eric worked with Ferguson and other top guys in football, including Jim Smith and Steve McLaren and the England coaching set-up. He's entitled to name-drop them. But really he's so well known in football that he shouldn't have to name-drop; football people should know him. If ever you see him out, just go and talk to him; he's a really friendly and approachable guy who will talk football to you all day if you want.

If I'd been lucky enough to work with Brian Clough, Dave Mackay, Arthur Cox, Jim Smith or Steve McLaren, I'd be dropping their names out all over the place, wouldn't you? Eric Steele's a top guy who's been there, done it and got the T-shirt in football. He loves Derby County, never wanted to leave when Mac1 departed and in my opinion deserves respect on here. If you disagree that's fine, we'll just agree to differ but Eric's a gentleman and a top football man as far as I'm concerned, who's well worth listening to. If he bores you, I think you're missing a trick.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

13 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

Sorry to hear this, and I hope Ed feels better soon.

Not living in the area I don't get to listen to live commentary on BBC Radio Derby, but I download the Rams Daily podcasts and enjoy listening to what he has to say in his analysis and interviews. 

Shan't get into that can of worms that is the ills of social media, but no job should mean you have to take directed vitriol if someone doesn't agree with you or like what your doing. I recall the grief he got over reporting/breaking the news that the Chris Kirchner deal was about to collapse. Must be hard to take.

Are you aware you can pay a small monthly sum to listen to games with RD commentary online?

I don't mind Ed Dawes - he's no Graham Richards but who is.   I'd much rather have a Derby fan in that role than not.  That's also why I'd have Ramage back but that's another debate.  

It's all subjective but I really like Eric Steele and Darren Robinson for the knowledge of the game they bring.   Not a fan of Dietrich  as an interviewer/ presenter.   Worst ever for me is Colin Gibson. 

Edit - eas Dom Dietrich 

Edited by trappatoni

17 minutes ago, sage said:

Are you aware you can pay a small monthly sum to listen to games with RD commentary online?

Yes, thanks, I did this for a while but then started going to more games with a ST and around 50% of away games if they geographically fit from the midlands-ish south.

I would pay on a game by game basis for radio commentary for those I can't get to, as can be done for video streaming on RamsTV, but I can't justify £60 a year for this as it isn't a huge number of games.

56 minutes ago, sage said:

I do.

Sometimes I then have to watch the full match back on ramstv a day later to see for myself.

TBH I've always felt that commentating is one of those things everyone thinks is easy to do until they actually have to do it. It's not that ed Dawes is particularly bad at it, there are plenty worse, but when his description is all you're going off and you're getting frustrated with it he ends up being the thing that people vent at.

I know I've joked about his tears on radio Derby after the club was saved, but the joke is made in the context of "we actually all very deeply understand where it came from and they were entirely genuine " - I'm going to stop making that joke.

13 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Are you deliberately missing the point? Never for one moment claimed it to be any of my business.

The point being that if anyone is absent from work the most likely explanation is some health or other personal issue. You suggest it would have been better to explain the issue to stop people saying stupid stuff. But personal issues are just that, no one’s business but theirs. If someone is taking time out they just want a break from everything and not worrying about having to explain things to every douchebag on twitter. 

33 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

The point being that if anyone is absent from work the most likely explanation is some health or other personal issue. You suggest it would have been better to explain the issue to stop people saying stupid stuff. But personal issues are just that, no one’s business but theirs. If someone is taking time out they just want a break from everything and not worrying about having to explain things to every douchebag on twitter. 

Indeed.

It's almost as if it's Ed Dawes' fault for people saying horrible stuff.

4 hours ago, trappatoni said:

I don't mind Ed Dawes - he's no Graham Richards but who is.   I'd much rather have a Derby fan in that role than not.  That's also why I'd have Ramage back but that's another debate.  

It's all subjective but I really like Eric Steele and Darren Robinson for the knowledge of the game they bring.   Not a fan of Dietrich  as an interviewer/ presenter.   Worst ever for me is Colin Gibson. 

Edit - eas Dom Dietrich 

I may be wrong but I believe Graham Richards is.