Ed Dawes

DarkFruitsRam7

RD’s not been worth listening to ever since the woke mob got rid of Craig Ramage’s valuable insights

I like it when he used to turn into the Alvaston Bob Dylan during the Mac 1 days

“There’s something special ‘appenin ‘ere”

(He’d say this after we’d just beaten Cardiff 1-0 on a Tuesday night or something equally innocuous)

7 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

RD’s not been worth listening to ever since the woke mob got rid of Craig Ramage’s valuable insights

I like it when he used to turn into the Alvaston Bob Dylan during the Mac 1 days

(He’d say this after we’d just beaten Cardiff 1-0 on a Tuesday night or something equally innocuous)

I used to play football for the blue Peter in the late 80’s early 90’s when Craig was playing for the rams, he was always at the bar reciting poetry and quoting Shakespeare 

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

That wasn't the conversation.

He was ok, but not much more. He was as likely to hit one over the Ossie End roof as into the net, and his control could be atrocious at times.

His record of 50 goals in 188 games was hardly prolific, and any legendary status he has now (which is debatable) is more down to his attitude, work rate and clear fondness for Derby.

H was the anti-Kitson who had a higher goal per-game rate and was more skilful, but was sulky and lazy.

You are entitled to your opinion Bob.

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I still miss Ted Mcminn on comms 

Presumably Ed Dawes will be commentating tomorrow given that Dominic Deitrich has said tonight that he will be in a box at Barnsley celebrating a mate’s wedding/stag night, unless RD have lined up someone else like Martin Fisher as they do occasionally. 

19 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Presumably Ed Dawes will be commentating tomorrow given that Dominic Deitrich has said tonight that he will be in a box at Barnsley celebrating a mate’s wedding/stag night, unless RD have lined up someone else like Martin Fisher as they do occasionally. 

He is...

sad winnie the pooh GIF

On 22/02/2024 at 09:39, Alty_Ram said:

I never really understood all the negativity myself. Personally I quite like to have the contrast on local radio of someone a bit more 'heart on sleeve', particularly if they are alongside someone a bit more analytical. For my tastes there is enough dry analysis of football these days from stat-grinders talking about XG or whatever so on local radio in particular I'm happy to hear a few instinctive and occasionally emotional comments and opinions as that is a much better fit for the game that I personally am following.

I definitely don't always agree with him but then that's not the point of his style I guess. He's a bit like that bloke at the pub after you drop in for a pint after the game. Sometimes you'll find yourself nodding to his comments and others you'll think nah, that's way too harsh on player X because player Y has constantly left him exposed by offering no cover.

Couldnt agree more 

2 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

He ruined the match commentary on the radio for me today. Never like it when miserable Eric Steele is on either. Switched it off. 

Sadly that was the same for me especially with Eric Steele. I have been able to listen to the commentary of away games recently but today briefly turned it on but only lasted a couple of minutes. It always sounds so negative and leaves me feeling depressed and angry. I’m aware some like it but I’m not one of them.

On 22/02/2024 at 12:04, StaffsRam said:

"And Wanchope treated the Manchester United defense with absolute contempt" is mine I think 😎

My three GR favourites are the entirety of the away play-off semi-final at Millwall, the two goals in 30 seconds against Leeds in our first PL game, and the Shane Nicholson Goal of the Century in the Cup quarter final against Sheffield Wednesday (all of which are available on YouTube btw).

Edited by DB83

9 hours ago, Sufferingfool said:

Sadly that was the same for me especially with Eric Steele. I have been able to listen to the commentary of away games recently but today briefly turned it on but only lasted a couple of minutes. It always sounds so negative and leaves me feeling depressed and angry. I’m aware some like it but I’m not one of them.

Exactly how I feel. I’ve been enjoying the commentary recently for the games I can’t get to, now I will be switching off again. So annoying 

11 hours ago, Sufferingfool said:

Whenever I hear Malcolm Christie, even if after the game, in terms of punditry his analysis seems good, you’re given a feel he knows what he’s talking about but he’s far more upbeat.

Steele may have been a good goalkeeping coach, knows his onions but boy us he dull on the radio this season; he’s full on grumpy old man.

After being highly critical of his commentating, I thought I should give him a chance and see if he’d used his absence from the airwaves to possibly listen to other commentators in order to improve - and to be fair, there were some improvements.
More often than not, I had a rough idea of where the ball was on the pitch (something lacking during his previous tenure), and I don’t think he mentioned anything about pigeons or trains (though I only started listening at kick off, didn’t listen at halftime and switched off at the final whistle so maybe he filled other parts of the program with his usual obsessions.
What I struggled with (other than the depressing tone of the whole affair with him and Eric trying to outdo each other in fault finding) is his utter obsession with proving how clever he is because he’s managed to qualify as a ref - several times he banged on about one of the Barnsley players having illegal shin pads - he kept putting himself in the place of the ref (“Don’t you talk to my assistant like that”) and tried to show off about his knowledge of the rules (“Most people don’t know that rule”) - geez it was tedious. He’s like the boring bloke in the pub that you try to avoid…

i wish him well in his recovery from whatever struggles he’s been going through but I can’t help thinking he’d be better served by joining his lad in the away end (has another RD football commentator ever felt the need to mention their family during a game?), possibly dressed in his full referee’s kit and waving cards towards the pitch. Dom (and dare I say the listeners) have been harshly treated by his return…

Personally I like Ed’s passion and Eric’s analysis. I’d rather have a Rams supporter commentating than some bog standard BBC employee and in Eric you get someone with an unrivalled knowledge of the game and our club. 
It seems to me that some on here just want uncritical, DCFC-can-do-no-wrong coverage on RD rather than actual opinion. If that’s what you want get a Rams TV pass and you can have that every game. 

8 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Personally I like Ed’s passion and Eric’s analysis. I’d rather have a Rams supporter commentating than some bog standard BBC employee and in Eric you get someone with an unrivalled knowledge of the game and our club. 
It seems to me that some on here just want uncritical, DCFC-can-do-no-wrong coverage on RD rather than actual opinion. If that’s what you want get a Rams TV pass and you can have that every game. 

That's absolutely not what I want - just asking for a basic level of competence when describing what's happening on the pitch - preferably unhindered by mindless drivel and showing off.....as I've said before, a radio commentator should be able to explain what's happening by painting pictures for the listener - Dawes couldn't paint a shed door....

19 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Not at all. I’d like them to stop all the ‘this is what they should have done’ and actually tell me what is happening. Preferably with less doom in the voice. 
‘it’s only a matter of time’ is one of his doom laden comments for example.