So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

Everything in football is a gamble. I hope Clowes is talking with good people to see if they will come. Names we should be considering/sounding out are: McClaren, Wilder, Jones, Round, Potter, Solksjaer, Carsley. With the offer of a big promotion bonus and the chance to manage a club that would not look out of place in the Premier League.

Often these decisions are a case of "be careful what you wish for", but my take is 95% of football managers would have done better than Warne had they been given the job instead. It's a shame, but anyone would likely be better.

On 22/10/2023 at 09:56, CBRammette said:

Would be on phone to Frank and Jody saying we have no money, I cant you pay much but you've got unfinished business here and a managerial reputation to rescue. Do it the right way. But that wont happen. 

Wouldn't have Lampard back after that team selection against Villa. 

Talk about sliding doors. They're top 6 prem, we are 12th League 1. Mmmm 🤔

On 22/10/2023 at 15:15, europia said:

Not quite sure whether the clamour for Eustace is due to the fact that he was briefly a Rams player, or because he's done reasonably OK at Birmingham City?

I would imagine (and it's highly unlikely) if he did come to DCFC some time soon, we would at best be looking at this time next season for any signs of being a top six team. 

Probably a mixture of reasons.

He was at Derby during a time where McClaren was manager. He also joined McClaren at QPR as assistant after a decent spell in charge of Kidderminster where they were praised for their good style of play.

The Birmingham job seems to enhance the opinion that he has the tools to be a decent manager.

Another reason is he had a playing role where intelligence is needed.

You can reach a decent level at centre-back on physicality alone. Wingers and forwards are generally blessed with pace, acceleration and timing. 

Midfielders are often the brain of the team. They see the pitch from a unique viewpoint, and it’s their intelligence of movement and vision which separates them. It’s no coincidence that Pep, Arteta, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, De Zerbi, Spalleti, Luis Enrique, Ancelotti, Unai Emery - the list of leading coaches were all midfielders. Even if they never reached a top level as a player, they still had the brain.

Eustace, as a holding midfielder, strikes me as an intelligent coach. Gary O’Neill too.

Plenty of good managers former defenders - usually CBs - Nagelsman, Postecoglu, Tuchel, Klopp, Howe, Pellegrini and Wenger and Southgate (though they did start in midfield their peak was CB).

I think it's more forwards and  wide players are under represented.    That said Clough, Ferguson and Cruyff (arguably more forward than midfielder) make a fair case for forwards 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Is that the same Graham Potter reputedly being considered to take over from Ten Hag at Manchester United?

If so, we'd better get in quick with an offer of all the Jaffa cakes he can eat.

In my working life I publish books, and I'm lucky that some are by the world's finest thinkers. When I first got a job like this, naturally I read a book about how to do it. Written by a woman, and acknowledging the sexism in the advice she was being offered in a similar position to me, by a publishing grandee, he told her:

"Authors are like women - they love to be asked."

It's advice that has stood me in very good stead and I think it does no harm to apply it to managers. I've published books by three Nobel-prize winning physicists and many other prestigious people, who other editors probably didn't dare go and talk to. Graham Potter would probably be the first name on my list, just in case I could sell him on the idea of falling in love with the Derby project. Proving himself as one of the managing greats, by taking us through the divisions into the Premier, and able to challenge at the top. He'll likely say no, but what if he says yes? What if there's some quirk in his upbringing that sees him want to come here - follow in Cloughie's footsteps? It's my job as an editor to try to find what might make someone want to write for me, and it's Clowes' job to do the same with managing Derby. Find something they have in common - show Potter how much Graham would enjoy working together at Derby. Sell him the dream, and hope he buys it.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

In my working life I publish books, and I'm lucky that some are by the world's finest thinkers. When I first got a job like this, naturally I read a book about how to do it. Written by a woman, and acknowledging the sexism in the advice she was being offered in a similar position to me, by a publishing grandee, he told her:

"Authors are like women - they love to be asked."

It's advice that has stood me in very good stead and I think it does no harm to apply it to managers. I've published books by three Nobel-prize winning physicists and many other prestigious people, who other editors probably didn't dare go and talk to. Graham Potter would probably be the first name on my list, just in case I could sell him on the idea of falling in love with the Derby project. Proving himself as one of the managing greats, by taking us through the divisions into the Premier, and able to challenge at the top. He'll likely say no, but what if he says yes? What if there's some quirk in his upbringing that sees him want to come here - follow in Cloughie's footsteps? It's my job as an editor to try to find what might make someone want to write for me, and it's Clowes' job to do the same with managing Derby. Find something they have in common - show Potter how much Graham would enjoy working together at Derby. Sell him the dream, and hope he buys it.

You could've just said "Arthur Cox".

On 23/10/2023 at 06:35, IlsonDerby said:

We are limited in our knowledge over who is available and who we could tempt. 

I’d be surprised if CVS didn’t arrive in their absolute tens if the job became available but as fans it isn’t really our job to know every manager who’s available and could improve us. That’s our owner and his boards job. 

Id wager we wont be sacking cos of cost and if we did recruiting an already in work manager 

so that leaves the others that are u employed for a reason 

23 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Everything in football is a gamble. I hope Clowes is talking with good people to see if they will come. Names we should be considering/sounding out are: McClaren, Wilder, Jones, Round, Potter, Solksjaer, Carsley. With the offer of a big promotion bonus and the chance to manage a club that would not look out of place in the Premier League.

Often these decisions are a case of "be careful what you wish for", but my take is 95% of football managers would have done better than Warne had they been given the job instead. It's a shame, but anyone would likely be better.

Potter, are you for real 🤣🤣🤣

On 23/10/2023 at 23:35, oomarkwright said:

Wouldn't have Lampard back after that team selection against Villa. 

Talk about sliding doors. They're top 6 prem, we are 12th League 1. Mmmm 🤔

The sliding doors moment that always niggles me is choosing Gregory instead of moyes