Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

Just now, Andicis said:

I'd take that yes. If we are actually able to reinvest the money and get a couple of million to strengthen up front, and replace Bird adequately I think it wouldn't be a bad move. I think overall the squad would benefit more.

Sales money hasn't been re-invested so far, so I won't be holding my breath if he goes

Just now, sage said:

Sales money hasn't been re-invested so far, so I won't be holding my breath if he goes

That's why I critically said IF. To be fair on sales so far, we've probably covered all of our other transfer dealings so would likely have a bit of wiggle room if we sold Bird. If we aren't able to reinvest then we may as well just hold on.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Agreed - think it's much more likely we go into the market for Matty Longstaff, Dan Gosling, Sam Clucas or perhaps Josh Onomah for a replacement. Longstaff seems to make the most sense to me looking at the options out there. Similar type of player. 

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Nothing to worry about then, miles apart on valuations. 

Depends entirely what the valuations are.  If they offered £1m and we want £5m then fine.  If they offered 50p and a Twix, and we're holding out for £1.50 and a six pack of Monster Munch then less fine.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Given Warne's penchant for saying 'we're nearly there in terms of valuations' (see Knight and Bristol City), 'derisory' and 'dramatically short' are pretty telling here.

I bet they tried to low ball us with <£1 million.

Would be okay with him going if we get about 2.5 million for him and we reinvest the money on a quality box to box player or number 10 and get another for depth. 

He's a good player but overrated imo, he doesn't score many, isn't physical or athletic and doesn't play well enough in the big games when we are up against it  or have the ability to run games and turn the tide of matches even at league 1 level. He is a good,tidy technical player and could be a good championship player as part of a good possession based side but I'd rather have 2 good league 1 players if we were going to reinvest the fee, maybe could help us sign a better striker. 

If we don't reinvest properly then I wouldn't be as keen on selling .We are lacking in central midfield as it is.

If we sell I'd put Robinson in until we get a replacement,  and register Johnson for the bench. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If it's £2-£3 million now or nothing in a year and he doesn't want to stay. Then he goes.

Absolutely no point in keeping a player who does not want to be here.

Due to age, we'd still be due compensation. We'd still get decent money for him due to already making 161 first team appearances (over 200 by the end of the season) and has captained the club numerous times.