Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

4 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Warne loved Knighty. Was his favourite and how much did he sell him for? 1 year left the same. Will be gone if they Bid 1.5 and he wants to go

Knight was out of contract. It was just a compo situation. Bird has 1 year plus compo next summer if he doesn't go this summer. 

As we still need a striker, forward, LWB, and CM, someone surely must go to fund those transfers? We really don't have many sellable assets so Bird it is and make it 2xCM. 

One to be sacrificed for the greater good. I can live with that.

I rate Max Bird but if I'm honest I don't like the balance of a Smith, Hourihane, Bird midfield. Therefore if Warne has a more suitable replacement, that may offer a better balance, in mind then it probably makes sense

If, on the other hand this is a sale without a replacement in mind then it makes no sense.

6 minutes ago, inter politics said:

If we have a limit of 300K per signing, then it's going to be very difficult to replace Bird. Do we take the chance of keeping him, going up and then more chance of him signing a new contract or take the money before possibly losing him on a free.

We may or may not have a 300k limit. Think someone alluded to it could be Warne playing games so other clubs don't try and fleece us.

But if we do. That's now. If we sold Bird and added another £2-£3 million in to the mix then we would probably have a bit more than 300k to spend.

Just now, Loughborough Ram said:

I rate Max Bird but if I'm honest I don't like the balance of a Smith, Hourihane, Bird midfield. Therefore if Warne has a more suitable replacement, that may offer a better balance, in mind then it probably makes sense

If, on the other hand this is a sale without a replacement in mind then it makes no sense.

Agree with you on your first point. Just a shame that it’s the best of the three that could be going.

Who we bring in now seems under even more scrutiny.

At present, we’re down on quality in the creative department. If he goes (and I would be sad to lose him) let’s hope one or two go from out of budget to in budget.

7 minutes ago, inter politics said:

But would Woods drop down to L1?

I hope not. He was very good at Brentford but  relatively disappointing over the last four seasons at Stoke, Millwall, Birmingham and Hull. There's a reason why he has been moved on so quickly.

'kin 'ell... I was checking for updates on signings, not unexpected departures.

I hope Bird stays. He wasn't great last season but he's looked really good playing further up the pich in pre-season. Stonger, more bite and control. The midfield was looking good for the coming months.
He'd be worth keeping and letting go next summer, but I guess you can't force a player to stay against their will. He's not irreplaceable at League One level, but it's always a shame when academy players go for next-to-nothing.

26 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Ahhh yes. A man who bleeds black and white, who was part of the march to save the club. Spends about £50 million of his own money to sell a couple of young lads for about £4 million quid.

Ok I'll hold my hands up and admit that was an initial over-reaction by me because I was grumpy with the news and how long  I was having to wait in the barbers.

My point is though, we would've sold our two most prized assets and chances are we won't be allowed to spend a fee to replace them.

image.png.07713e7b732b2c7ebb6d1dcbe3daa605.png

Wasn’t too fussed about losing Knight, a good player but didn’t think he had much of an impact last season and not really sure what he is and where he fits. If we lose Bird, then I won’t deny, I will be in full on meltdown!! Our best run last season he was at the centre of everything our dip coincided with when he got injured. I haven’t watched preseason but from what I’ve heard he’s looked good, im expecting him to be the standout midfielder in the league this season. Seen comment that he’s overrated, on the contrary I think he’s underrated. Could do more in attacking third but good positional sense defensively excellent on the ball with a good passing range, said it before IMO he’s the best of his generation coming through the academy. Unless we’re going to use the money to improve the team, this makes absolutely no sense to me!!

We’ve got to get out of this league to stop likes of Bristol and Hull being able to take our best players, we’d have a better chance with Bird, price him out of a move and risk him leaving on a free or a small tribunal fee next summer. If we get promoted I reckon he’d sign a new deal!!

26 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

They spent £3m+ on three players last season, so definitely not a concern for them. The new owners there are happy to put their hand in their pocket and they've generated cash from Lewis-Potter - Bird was a favourite of Rosenior and Rooney, so no surprise they're in for him. I think they'll do whatever it takes to get him. 

Personally, I hope I'm wrong, but the writing is already on the wall - it's just how we best manage it. 

Could be right then, obviously I don’t check Hulls transfers and they are a team that go under the radar so just thought they didn’t spend much…

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Devils advocate. I’d like him to stay but - let’s say Clowes says ‘a bird sale was unexpected so any guaranteed income from it can go into this years budget’ and Warne can go and sign Moxon and Nombe with change and still bring in a 10 and LWB as he originally planned would we take it? 

Like that 👍🏻

I like Bird a lot but I can’t help but think a really balanced midfield 2, out of Bird, Smith and Hourihane, should probably have Smith in. And Hourihane isn’t going to recoup a 7 figure sum (obviously). Smith and Hourihane is a slow pairing but Bird doesn’t solve that anyway.

If the striker hunt is proving to be a real issue, requiring a fee at least, I can understand a sale of Bird to fund it. But I don’t really like it.

19 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Shaping up to be a fairly bog standard Derby County transfer window for me.

Sell Max Bird, sign some dross from Tottenham on loan, loan in Macclesfields 4th choice goalkeeper, get linked with Billy Sharp all window, Paul Warne to say "we will go with what we have got" and the circle of life continues.

Roll on Saturday!

Sad I Feel Sick GIF by Crispe