Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I did say many weeks ago that Hull were trying to get Bird from us !

Anyway the worrying bit for me is in the Hull paper article where it says Hull are speaking to Derby and have spoken to Bird himself ( if true) 

we as a club cannot afford to let half decent transfer fees not come in if players can walk away in a years time for nothing but fortunately we would still get a decent fee for his development if that did happen. Ultimately if Bird wants to see his future in Hull then good luck to him.

Another concern is that my expectation is that we get promoted this season but we would then need a range of better players again next summer so it would be very difficult recruiting with little money for transfer fees at that point.

If he doesn’t want to stay I’d expect Warne to sell him and I couldn’t blame him 

in terms of a fee I can’t imagine Hull would go anywhere near the £2 million we got for Jason Knight so it would be sub £1 million no doubt - personally I would like him to stay get promoted with us and earn a good move to a premiership club where we genuinely get a decent transfer fee.

Bird is a different type of player to Knight but he's also a better one. We should be looking for at least what we got for Knight. More really

11 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I did say many weeks ago that Hull were trying to get Bird from us !

Not saying you didn’t, but did you?

You definitely said they were after Knight.

Either way, what should the club or we-the-fans have done with your information/intuition? Is the point that the writing was on the wall and hopefully we have his replacement lined up and ready to go (or should have)?

2 minutes ago, jameso said:

Not saying you didn’t, but did you?

You definitely said they were after Knight.

Either way, what should the club or we-the-fans have done with your information/intuition? Is the point that the writing was on the wall and hopefully we have his replacement lined up and ready to go (or should have)?

You have lost me with that 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

Bird is a different type of player to Knight but he's also a better one. We should be looking for at least what we got for Knight. More really

I didn’t want to lose either of them but ultimately it’s about opinions and personally the one with all the international caps, an ability to play in multiple roles and score goals would have the higher ceiling but like I said I wanted to keep both of them, it just a shame to look at all those youngsters we have been forced to lose 

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

You have lost me with that 🤷‍♂️

I am asking what to do with the news that you told us previously that Hull were trying to sign Bird - whereas, for example, I didn't know they were trying to sign him, although there are obvious reasons why they'd be interested.

Should we not now be surprised because you told us, and/or should the club have a Bird-replacement ready because, if you knew it, they should have seen it coming too?

The rest of your post I made sense of without assistance. It was just that bit.

18 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

In the last year of his contract? Not capped at international level. One goal last year. I can’t see it. 

Not got in the England team ahead of Rice or Phillips who cost a combined £160m?

1 goal and 5 assists for a player who spent most of the season as a DM... Do you know how mamy young CMs bettered Bird's assists last season? No L1 CM aged 23 or younger got more from open play last season. 2 players in L2 did, Watt (8) and Brieley (6), none in the Champiomship, and only Willock (6) got more in the PL.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not got in the England team ahead of Rice or Phillips who cost a combined £160m?

1 goal and 5 assists for a player who spent most of the season as a DM... Do you know how mamy young CMs bettered Bird's assists last season? No L1 CM aged 23 or younger got more from open play last season. 2 players in L2 did, Watt (8) and Brieley (6), none in the Champiomship, and only Willock (6) got more in the PL.

@Ghost of Clough strikes again with facts. Nobody better on this forum for this 👍🏻

If we sell Bird, and can't get adequate replacements or reinvest much of the money into the squad. What was the point of Warne dropping a division to manage us. It would be totally baffling to sell him now.

Edited by JPRamFan

Just now, Gerry Daly said:

I didn’t care much about Knight, but I will be very, very disappointed and upset if we sell Bird for some pocket money(in todays market) fee to Hull

It’s not that simple though is it. If he expressly asks to go, keeping an unhappy player who isn’t committed isn’t going to help anything. 

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

so what’s he worth in your opinion? Realistically? I’ve just seen a tweet of Birmingham’s incomings this year. Nothing above 2 million so far apparently , and I get the feeling big fees are a thing of the past, even at a bankrolled Champ club.

Edited by DiggerB

15 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

so what’s he worth in your opinion? Realistically? I’ve just seen a tweet of Birmingham’s incomings this year. Nothing above 2 million so far apparently , and I get the feeling big fees are a thing of the past, even at a bankrolled Champ club.

Bristol are selling a CM for over £20m, having alreqdy rejected 1 bid matching that amount. He's 19 and got only 1 goal and 5 assists from a more advanced position than Bird played last season. 

Due to his worth to us with regard to our current CM options and difficulty getting other players in and our aim for promotion, I wouldn't accept anything below £5m.