Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

1 hour ago, JaLoRam said:

Sad situation but while we're in league one, clubs like Hull and Bristol are big fish compared to us. Warne has to give Bird an ultimatum to sign a new deal or cash in. The worry is if he isn't able to spend the proceeds, we're in real trouble

It’s not as easy in just signing a new deal. A new deal will probably mean paying more per week and that might not be something we can do. 

Two things

1) never outright trust a report from another local newspaper! I take it as Hull are frustrated at a lack of progress and are trying to force Derby’s hand here.

2) In a bit if good news, it might show the market is beginning to move if a champ team who had previously expressed interest are now coming forward with a bid. Suggests movement in the market and once deals start getting done in the champ then it wouldn’t surprise me if a couple of Warne’s targets start being made available by their clubs. 

Also! It’s just occurred to me, Derby so far aren’t currently saying he’s not for sale…we all love Bird but Smith and Hourihane have so far been playing in his preferred position and Bird has played a role that would suit Sibley in pre season.

Not saying im right or wrong, gonna be interesting what Warne says tonight tbh.

I guess it all depends on the fee, and if we can reinvest it. Something we didn’t do with Bielik or Knight money. 

Even if he didn’t sign a contract this year he still could next year or we would get compensation. 

I don’t like the fact we’re selling our youngsters and bringing in older players with no resale value. It’s not a good business model. Although if our Browns and Robinsons in the academy are seen as players that can step up then that may be where our future capital comes from.

Time will tell

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Also! It’s just occurred to me, Derby so far aren’t currently saying he’s not for sale…we all love Bird but Smith and Hourihane have so far been playing in his preferred position and Bird has played a role that would suit Sibley in pre season.

He will probably say the same has he always does when asked the. question.

"We are are under no pressure to sell and want Max to stay I think the world of Max and he had not said he wants to go.However if a mega bid is made and it is good for the club we will have to consider it

If selling him enabled us to sign 2/3 replacements, Wood, Forshaw, Tunicliffe then I’m all for it. I feel like for too long we’ve been saying this is his year and he has never really improved for me. People are quick to say Thommo isn’t progressive enough but Bird, barring the rare worldie pass, isn’t much better. I thought him and Knight would dominate L1 but neither did. If letting them go enables us to get players to get us out this division then let’s crack on. 

14 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I’m sure the official line for the club has been that we can’t afford to let players go on a free, so if they don’t want to sign new contracts they will be sold.

1 minute ago, ollycutts1982 said:

If selling him enabled us to sign 2/3 replacements, Wood, Forshaw, Tunicliffe then I’m all for it. I feel like for too long we’ve been saying this is his year and he has never really improved for me. People are quick to say Thommo isn’t progressive enough but Bird, barring the rare worldie pass, isn’t much better. I thought him and Knight would dominate L1 but neither did. If letting them go enables us to get players to get us out this division then let’s crack on. 

Agree totally on this, just the bringing replacements in that worries me

Timing is everything.

If you had asked many fans a few weeks ago when we were active in the market and making promising and shrewd looking moves, they likely would have been in favour of Bird moving on and getting a fresh start.

Our midfield does need a shake up.

But at the moment, at a time when our business has ground to a halt and the recruitment team appear to have exhausted all avenues, it will raise concerns that another important player is on their way out and we don’t seem to have a succession plan in place.

I have been quite relaxed so far, but today this news is the first sign of concern for me. 

8 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

My concern is another 22 year old going out of the door and the replacements on offer Wood (29), Forshaw (31) and Tunicliffe (30). 

If we're in League One next season, we don't have a Bird, Bielik and Knight to sell and propping up our budget to the tune of £5m - there surely needs to be some emphasis on bringing in players who we could potentially recoup some value otherwise we're going to be recycling through free agency and cast-offs again next year - except with a £5m shortfall in the budget. 

If there was a player we should be pulling out of every stop to tie down to a longer deal it’s Bird. 

Might be an unpopular opinion but we won’t be able to replace him with anyone that’s even remotely within the current restrictions. 

If there was no other option, and Bird decided there was no way he would sign an extension then we have to be looking at 3 million plus for him, anything less would not be worth what we would lose over the next year in a promotion push. 

Feel like this is a truly defining situation for Warne and Clowes. I’m one of the biggest supporters of both but if they can’t keep Bird then I think we will see a lot of fans turning on both quickly this season if results do go the right way. 

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Timing is everything.

If you had asked many fans a few weeks ago when we were active in the market and making promising and shrewd looking moves, they likely would have been in favour of Bird moving on and getting a fresh start.

Our midfield does need a shake up.

But at the moment, at a time when our business has ground to a halt and the recruitment team appear to have exhausted all avenues, it will raise concerns that another important player is on their way out and we don’t seem to have a succession plan in place.

I have been quite relaxed so far, but today this news is the first sign of concern for me. 

Really? I rather think far more would have wanted to keep him and still do. 

I stopped being relaxed when it was apparent we can't/won't spend  a decent proportion of the Knight and Bielik fees. 

He’s a good player and I’d be more than happy for him to stay, however this is going to come down to finances and whether the players head has been turned.

If Warne feels Bird would rather go, then I’m betting he won’t fight to hang onto him.

On the financials, if this allows us to remodel our midfield and strike force with 2-4 players who’ll have a big impact, then it’s going to happen.

People need to remember where we are and where we’ve just come from.

image.gif.2bdc2611b7bf09bb60f1ec14b42dfe44.gif

5 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

He’s a good player and I’d be more than happy for him to stay, however this is going to come down to finances and whether the players head has been turned.

If Warne feels Bird would rather go, then I’m betting he won’t fight to hang onto him.

On the financials, if this allows us to remodel our midfield and strike force with 2-4 players who’ll have a big impact, then it’s going to happen.

People need to remember where we are and where we’ve just come from.

image.gif.2bdc2611b7bf09bb60f1ec14b42dfe44.gif

If is a big word. 

This is unfortunately where we are now. A L1 club with talented youngsters, who’ve shown what they can do in the league above, and who are all in the final year of their deals. Expect Cashin to be next, and we’ll be left with Sibbo and Thommo who are probably playing at their level in L1. Times, they are a changing. If we can get a fee that helps us strengthen where we are, reluctantly they will be sold.

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

True. I use the term as I haven’t got a clue who we are after/who it’s possible to get. 

The club will have a much better idea and will make that decision accordingly.

I wasn't thinking about who we could get, more would a fee of say £2.5m be fully invested in the squad along with Bird's wages.

That is the 'if'