Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

TBF, Alex Scott is a superb player and will be wanted by Top 6 clubs in about 2 years when he does well at Bournemouth/Wolves and has won the U19 Euro's. £20m is a lot, but it's a good investment for any prem club.

Your talking apples and oranges. What Pearson says he won’t sell Scott for less than, and what the club will eventually accept may be vastly different. As likely is the valuation from a lower half champ team for a L1 player than that of established PL teams for a champ midfielder, regardless of age.

Edit. Not directed at you Jubbs but the original post.

Edited by DiggerB

I'd be less bothered about selling Bird (for a suitably high fee) if I had any confidence the money would be reinvested, and reinvested well. By which I mean e.g. selling a promising young player for £2m and reinvesting in e.g. two other players for (say) 500k or 750k each. The sale of Knight doesn't fill me with much confidence now we are scratching around in the Rhodes/Waghorn/Sharp bargain bin for ageing out of contract strikers. 

The midfield and attack needed strengthening even before we lost Knight, McGoldrick and now perhaps Bird. If we can't or won't pay fees for quality (preferably youngish) players out of the profits from sales, then given the frees on offer to us then I'd rather we didn't sell.

We have strengthened really well at the back but there were so many times last season we got outworked and outplayed in midfield and lacked pace and guile up front. If we go into next season with the squad we have, I imagine the same will happen again. Even more so if we lose Bird without signing adequate reenforcements. 

Edited by vonwright

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Been told the bid from Hull for Bird was 300k 🤣

No wonder its way off & derisory

Did they miss a 0 off the end?

With Knight going for somewhere in the region of £1.7m given his identical contract situation and similar age then clearly nothing under £1m would be entertained, and even then I suspect we'd negotiate considerably upward.

Interesting Warne said that he could spend £300k on one player if he wanted, but couldn't get anyone of the required quality in for that. Sounds like Rosenior read it and said "challenge accepted" 

9 hours ago, Big Trav said:

They've been sniffing around Birdy all summer long. We are going to get to crunch time soon with him only having a year left on his deal 

Strange - thought it was the perfect opportunity to say that the Club have approached Max about a new contract /extension - but no mention and seems they haven’t - now would be the perfect time for both parties I would think .::

9 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Would have to bring someone in before he left in my opinion.

We are already short in midfield so selling him with no replacement would be daft.

Not sure if we got a relatively decent fee for him (£2 million) that this would allow Warne to spend maybe half of it.

If we replaced him with a midfielder who chips in with more goals then I'm ok with it.

He's only got a year left. So he either stays and signs a new deal or moves on.

The way PW spoke of the Knight money on the radio it seems that even if we sold Bird we wouldn’t necessarily be able to use some or all of it to buy a replacement ..

11 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Strange - thought it was the perfect opportunity to say that the Club have approached Max about a new contract /extension - but no mention and seems they haven’t - now would be the perfect time for both parties I would think .::

He did say they want Bird to sign a new contract. There is a link to it on one on the many threads. Might even be in the Derby Telegraph now as well 

23 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Been told the bid for Birdy was 10x lower than what they value him and was laughed off 

Your source baffles me. Only knows things if someone is physically in the building, but also seems to know how much incoming bids are. Unless multiple members of staff were walking round laughing all afternoon I guess. 

You would think there is a new contract to be agreed that would suit all parties because Hull are not the most tempting proposition surely?

Contract extension with a slight raise/incentives this season. A promise of a decent increase for next season and a bigger one if we go up, plus a reasonable buy out clause if we don't.  

He's taking a risk if he doesn't sign and gets injured. Let's him know if he backs himself and plays well eg £3m will get him a move to the Championship regardless. He hasn't exactly bossed this League so let's see him do that.

I'm not overly worried, as others have said him, Hourihane, Smith is a little one-paced and lacking in dynamism anyway. We just need to know.

54 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

You would think there is a new contract to be agreed that would suit all parties because Hull are not the most tempting proposition surely?

Contract extension with a slight raise/incentives this season. A promise of a decent increase for next season and a bigger one if we go up, plus a reasonable buy out clause if we don't.  

He's taking a risk if he doesn't sign and gets injured. Let's him know if he backs himself and plays well eg £3m will get him a move to the Championship regardless. He hasn't exactly bossed this League so let's see him do that.

I'm not overly worried, as others have said him, Hourihane, Smith is a little one-paced and lacking in dynamism anyway. We just need to know.

A nice compromise suggested there, wonder if the business plan would allow it? 🤔 We’ve given contracts to 2 young prospects in Rooney and Brown so there must be some allowance on that front. 
But yeah I like the idea of making Bird top earner, add a % increase if we’re promoted which is a fairly normal clause in football contracts I think, and a sensible release clause if we’re not. 

10 hours ago, Srg said:

Your source baffles me. Only knows things if someone is physically in the building, but also seems to know how much incoming bids are. Unless multiple members of staff were walking round laughing all afternoon I guess. 

Honestly I agree with you😂 we speak pretty much every day and I’ve been begging them to give me names.