Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

44 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

What a complete mess up.

If it was clear that PW needed the Bird sale to fund other players, then we should have pushed the deal through as quickly as possible, and not played him.

Now, as others have pointed out, we have a player with little, if any, sale value, who might not want to be here, playing in a system that might not suit him.

And when he is fit, do we try and fit him into the team (by which time hopefully we have settled on a formation, playing style and team) knowing he probably leaves next summer?

Complete mismanagement of the situation all round.

I see where you're coming from in terms of the implications we now face, but I think your main bugbear is with fate here.

As others have already replied, if PW was intending to sell Bird (presumably either despite or because of the "head turned" issue) he couldn't wrap him in cotton wool waiting for a sensible bid, or alternatively push the deal through for peanuts.

Two other points:

Anyone "might not want to be here", whether today or tomorrow. The difference (from some) is that Bird's contract expires next summer. I am yet to see any sign that the player doesn't want to be here while under contract, regardless of the alleged turned head.

I also have no reason to believe Bird wouldn't sign another contract if we were to be promoted at the end of this season. His own contribution is not independent of that; if he returns to fitness and plays well, he can help us to get there. If he doesn't (on either count) it might affect the calibre of club who comes in for him anyway.

I can understand the disillusionment apparent in your comment concerning the club's handling of personnel, but I don't think it's reasonable to be quite so risk averse when it comes to possible injuries. On the one hand we have a small(ish) squad and need to take sensible precautions; on the other, we don't have the strength in depth to leave out one of our best players in the "hope" (not mine) that we can get a sale for him. (My own disillusionment concerns the likelihood that we wouldn't use any Bird money to bring in a player who is or is likely to become as good as he is!)

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...