Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

For me it boils down to whether Bird is willing to sign a new contract with us. If he is, he’s invested in our project and likes the idea of playing nearly every match of the next season, then great. If he’d rather go to Hull for a pay rise and I imagine play less football, then fine, let’s cash in and bring in someone who wants to commit to us.

picking up a new decent midfielder to replace Bird and hopefully add more balance to our midfield doesn’t worry me as much as finding someone to inject some pace at the top end of the pitch.

I'd meant to start a midfield thread after Warne commented we needed another body there. I wasn't convinced. But if Max Bird goes, we will and it allows Warne to shape things more in his image. Lovely lad, but I feel Bird has not pushed on as he should. His goal should be to have become our Michael Carrick, but when I watch him I'm a bit meh. 

The issue is Clowes bought us to save the club. Without him, we were gone, but he does not have deep pockets and running a football club with ambition at our level is a seriously loss-making enterprise. It's now about balance, but I expect we have to sell before we buy and it seems apparent (and understandable) that not all monies received will be reinvested.

If this happens we look weaker than last season, but need to adapt and work with what we have. It's not what we want, but we're still living off scraps. I'm far from the only person on here to suggest Sibley has a higher ceiling than Knight and Bird. It should be up to young Louie and the manager to realize that potential. That's the kind of mindset we need for the moment. 

Showing my age now, but I remember Arthur Cox selling our prized asset Kevin Wilson in the old Div 3 to Ipswich.

Fans were shocked, but the money we got, allowed Cox to buy the likes of Geriant Williams and Gary MIcklewhite.

I suppose, if intentions are good at board level, then we have to trust the manager to do his stuff.?

1 minute ago, Mountain Ram said:

For me it boils down to whether Bird is willing to sign a new contract with us. If he is, he’s invested in our project and likes the idea of playing nearly every match of the next season, then great. If he’d rather go to Hull for a pay rise and I imagine play less football, then fine, let’s cash in and bring in someone who wants to commit to us.

picking up a new decent midfielder to replace Bird and hopefully add more balance to our midfield doesn’t worry me as much as finding someone to inject some pace at the top end of the pitch.

I’m not sure he plays less minutes. Liam was a big fan of him when here, so he obviously would be spending money to become part of his main XI.

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

I'd meant to start a midfield thread after Warne commented we needed another body there. I wasn't convinced. But if Max Bird goes, we will and it allows Warne to shape things more in his image. Lovely lad, but I feel Bird has not pushed on as he should. His goal should be to have become our Michael Carrick, but when I watch him I'm a bit meh. 

The issue is Clowes bought us to save the club. Without him, we were gone, but he does not have deep pockets and running a football club with ambition at our level is a seriously loss-making enterprise. It's now about balance, but I expect we have to sell before we buy and it seems apparent (and understandable) that not all monies received will be reinvested.

If this happens we look weaker than last season, but need to adapt and work with what we have. It's not what we want, but we're still living off scraps. I'm far from the only person on here to suggest Sibley has a higher ceiling than Knight and Bird. It should be up to young Louie and the manager to realize that potential. That's the kind of mindset we need for the moment. 

We’ve been saying that for about four years now.

During that time Bird and Knight have developed and that’s why it’s them and not Sibley that’s receiving attention from other teams.

Not that we’ve spent much to worry about FFP, but it’s worth considering that home-grown academy players are worth £0 in terms of outgoings, so any sale is all profit on a clubs books (at least that’s how I’ve interpreted cleverer peoples thoughts) selling Knight and Bird would make the books look a lot better this season.

If Bird wants to go, then Warne may well let him despite loving him as a man. I’d be sad, and would expect the club to bring in the necessary players to complete the squad (now looking at 5 - LWB, ST, CAM and CM x2?)

3 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Not that we’ve spent much to worry about FFP, but it’s worth considering that home-grown academy players are worth £0 in terms of outgoings, so any sale is all profit on a clubs books (at least that’s how I’ve interpreted cleverer peoples thoughts) selling Knight and Bird would make the books look a lot better this season.

If Bird wants to go, then Warne may well let him despite loving him as a man. I’d be sad, and would expect the club to bring in the necessary players to complete the squad (now looking at 5 - LWB, ST, CAM and CM x2?)

it means absolutely zero concelation if we cannot spend any incoming money which it looks like we cant

we should be building a team not dismantling one

Edited by alram

8 minutes ago, Betty Swollocks said:

Showing my age now, but I remember Arthur Cox selling our prized asset Kevin Wilson in the old Div 3 to Ipswich.

Fans were shocked, but the money we got, allowed Cox to buy the likes of Geriant Williams and Gary MIcklewhite.

I suppose, if intentions are good at board level, then we have to trust the manager to do his stuff.?

Spot on. Wilson was sold to Ipswich, and Arthur signed Gregory, Micklewhite, George Williams and Ross MacLaren with the money.

If Warney pulls that off this month then he is truly Midas.

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I like the positivity re Sibley and would agree that Max Bird is yet to fulfil his potential with us, but I remain convinced he's got the makings of a very good player (so for me the ceiling is higher in his case than the other two) and had hoped this day would never come... I feel similarly to when the news broke of Will Hughes to Watford, albeit we're dealing with different levels here. Either way: the player can do better than the club he is (rumoured to be) joining. Still, it's only reasonable that he should go to a higher division if he wants to, but it'd be a shame.

If he goes, I'm with you on trying to get Sibley producing the quality we know he's got. I saw Bird as having a real breakthrough season this year, but why not Sibley?

I would let him go for £1.5m.  The only change to that would be if he signs a new contract.  We cannot afford to let good players leave for free next year, and it would be decent business for a home grown talent in the last year of his contract.  Those listing Tom Davies as a replacement give your heads a wobble! 

Many of our Fans still think we are a top Championship team that can attract/afford players like Davies - hopefully in a few years but not now.  Bird has also come in for consistent social media criticism from so called Derby fans.  If Ryan Woods is prepared to drop a league would not be a bad replacement IMO.  

3 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Spot on. Wilson was sold to Ipswich, and Arthur signed Gregory, Micklewhite, George Williams and Ross MacLaren with the money.

If Warney pulls that off this month then he is truly Midas.

He certainly would be - I think most of those have retired (?)

5 minutes ago, r4derby said:

FFP isn't going to be relevant to us  - we're not in a position to make losses. We're going to be wheeling and dealing as best as possible, ultimately doing our best to get out of this division spending as little as possible and then surviving in the Championship spending as little as possible. 

Clowes doesn't have the money to make £14m losses a year - we're going to be in no danger of that going forward. 

Going to try and sum this up:

• Ideally keep him
  • Hopefully he wants to stay, but this will be key in everything. If he wants to go, then he will. No use keeping unhappy players.
  • If we then must sell, get fair value
  • Simply have to reinvest to replace if we lose him
  • Obviously, all of this could be absolute nonsense

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Did you see the points per game last season, with and without Bird? 

27 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Devils advocate. I’d like him to stay but - let’s say Clowes says ‘a bird sale was unexpected so any guaranteed income from it can go into this years budget’ and Warne can go and sign Moxon and Nombe with change and still bring in a 10 and LWB as he originally planned would we take it? 

I'd take that yes. If we are actually able to reinvest the money and get a couple of million to strengthen up front, and replace Bird adequately I think it wouldn't be a bad move. I think overall the squad would benefit more.