Summer Rumour Mill

sage

33 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Fair play to him if he goes to Notts County - finishing his career at his boyhood club must have a pull. Notts County aren't bankrolled like Wrexham, though, so it would be a substantial wage cut to make that move - he's probably on close to £10k a week here. He'd have to more than half his wages to make that move - not to mention the tighter restrictions in the EFL. 

Wish him all the best where he goes. 

If he was a cheat code in League 1, imagine what he'd be like in League 2. 

There's something beautiful in a move like that, not enough of that in the modern game.

Top bloke, classy player. Will always be glad we got to watch him for a season if he does go.

11 hours ago, MarsdenRam said:

I'm starting to think that if McGoldrick was staying it would have been announced by now...

He has already played for Nott County so it's not that he hasn't ever had the chance to play for them.  More likely he's after a higher wage/longer contract than were prepared/able to offer.  He could get a years deal, on better money with less game time expected as an option for a mid table championship side.  More likely I'd say.

12 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Me too. Still time yet, but with people saying they are hearing he isn't happy with the amount of games, I worry slightly.

My concern would be whether its the amount of games he isn't happy with, or the intensity of training?

Of course at his age and stage of his career the training maybe an issue if it’s to intense but there’s another way of looking at it ….

Warne has obviously done something right with Didzy as he played a lot more games than I expected him too and had one of his best ever goalscoring seasons so perhaps the fitness regime was good for Didzy ?

also let’s not forget he did not have a plethora of clubs after him at the end of last season and by his own words contemplated hanging up his boots so one more season won’t hurt ..finish the job off of promotion …great way to sign off 

I think we might be a better side without him if Warne undertakes the right recruitment. Don’t get me wrong I loved seeing him play but it’s always alarming when you’re over reliant on a single player. I’d rather three players spread out say 18, 15, 10 goals and we become challengers rather than relying on a 35 year old to get 20 goals which I don’t think we would do next season 

9 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Is that based on anything other than your own opinion?

I appreciate there hasn’t been a decision announced yet, that doesn’t mean anything either way other than we have to wait to find out. 

From talking to a few people in football, I actually bumped into a few derby players this week plus a few other EFL players at the bar in borrowash it’s a haven for a efl who’s who 

9 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

If he was a cheat code in League 1, imagine what he'd be like in League 2. 

There's something beautiful in a move like that, not enough of that in the modern game.

Top bloke, classy player. Will always be glad we got to watch him for a season if he does go.

It would be nice to think that it would be a fan's motivation behind such a move.

Putting myself in his shoes, had a reasonably successful career, money no longer a motivation, what better way of signing off your career, but going to YOUR club and helping them in their first year back in the EFL?

Also, an easier year at a much more comfortable pace and lower level opposition, than the high energy scenario that he would be facing at Derby.

3 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

I think we might be a better side without him if Warne undertakes the right recruitment. Don’t get me wrong I loved seeing him play but it’s always alarming when you’re over reliant on a single player. I’d rather three players spread out say 18, 15, 10 goals and we become challengers rather than relying on a 35 year old to get 20 goals which I don’t think we would do next season 

But then we all moan that we dont have a 20 goal a season striker lol

theres no winning lol

Find it strange how relaxed people seem about the prospect of McGoldrick leaving, when we don't yet have any solid links for who's supposed to come in and help replace any of the 25 goals (either directly or through assists).

Even the players we've been linked with and/or suggested amongst ourselves, I don't get the impression all  that much is really known about their overall abilities and how they'd fit into the sort of team we want to see?

I certainly don't feel able to make any suggestions myself because I pretty much exclusively watch Derby, I'm just hoping other people have at least seen maybe 5, 10 performances by the players they're suggesting.

We don't yet have any reason to trust our recruitment under the new guy, despite a decent record previously - it's just a leap of faith at this stage!

Edited by Kokosnuss

4 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Find it strange how relaxed people seem about the prospect of McGoldrick leaving, when we don't yet have any solid links for who's supposed to come in and help replace any of the 25 goals (either directly or through assists).

Even the players we've been linked with and/or suggested amongst ourselves, I don't get the impression all  that much is really known about their overall abilities and how they'd fit into the sort of team we want to see?

I certainly don't feel able to make any suggestions myself, just hoping other people have at least seen maybe 5, 10 performances by the players they're suggesting.

We don't yet have any reason to trust our recruitment under the new guy, despite a decent record previously - it's just a leap of faith at this stage!

It's early days.   If there was a week left Id be worried.  

4 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I certainly don't feel able to make any suggestions myself because I pretty much exclusively watch Derby, I'm just hoping other people have at least seen maybe 5, 10 performances by the players they're suggesting.

I suppose you could just as easily say we don't have any reason to distrust our recruitment under the new guy in a proper transfer window (as apposed to the January lottery) when they have a bit of money (however small) to play with.

Like you, I couldn't offer up any possible replacements and know very little (if I've even heard of them) about the names being banded around.

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Two things stop me worrying:

1. His age; while this isn't an issue in terms of individual ability, we're looking at a squad overhaul/rebuild, ideally we'll be signing a striker or 2 to build a team around, which can't happen with a 35 year old as our main striker. 

2. While the prospect of losing a 25-goal a season striker seems daunting, next season the goal responsibility has to be shared more evenly amongst the squad. If we get this balance of play right, we shouldn't need a single talisman to bag 20+ goals. I'd argue it's better to have 3 players hitting 10+ than a single player on 30+...

So while ideally he'll be sticking around, I don't believe it's catastrophic if he does leave, we'll just need to be astute with our recruitment.