Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

It’s not the end of the work if Didzy does leave in my eyes. He has 2 more years max in his career and it was Derby who took the chance on him last year. I definitely wouldn’t be held hostage to any ridiculous demands like we had done so often done under the Mel regime. 

Just watching Luton on Sky . If their brand of football is the one we will be playing next season , I don’t suppose McGoldrick fancies it much . All players have to run themselves into the ground.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Just watching Luton on Sky . If their brand of football is the one we will be playing next season , I don’t suppose McGoldrick fancies it much . All players have to run themselves into the ground.

We need to get out of league one - then progress in the championship - then the premiership where hopefully we can play football in an attractive way as well as being good enough to be there - it’s a long process again 

10 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We need to get out of league one - then progress in the championship - then the premiership where hopefully we can play football in an attractive way as well as being good enough to be there - it’s a long process again 

Hmm. Other teams get promoted from the Championship (and League One) playing decent football. And arguably they find it easier to adapt to a higher level when they do.

If we play like Luton and it works then I won't be complaining. But it isn't the only way. 

11 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Bournemouth played good football right through from league 2 to the Premier league. You don't have to 'get out of this league' in a different way. 

On 13/05/2023 at 17:09, sage said:

This is the thread for all rumours you hear or read, to keep the yransfwr thread  clear of unsubstantiated stuff.

Isnt it this anymore? Or is it now what we think will be rumours like the other threads? Have there been any more rumours or just those on page 1? Sorry just read through 10 pages with no rumours 😂😂

After watching the industrial type of football Luton churn out I really hope in a way they don’t go up because it’s utter dross to watch …set pieces and physical ity obviously works for them and they’re good at it but jeeeez …that will only get you so far

Can’t believe a two bob club like Luton are knocking on the door of the elite division with their Wimbledon brand of anti football …..whilst we’re in division 3 ( thanks Mel ) there are some on here who would take any sort of success but to be sustainable surely we have to want to be better than that ….

I really like Warne ..I just hope we don’t go down the Luton percentage football route and he builds as side who can play different ways as I couldn’t sit and watch what Luton dish up week in week out …everyone to there own I guess 

5 hours ago, S8TY said:

After watching the industrial type of football Luton churn out I really hope in a way they don’t go up because it’s utter dross to watch …set pieces and physical ity obviously works for them and they’re good at it but jeeeez …that will only get you so far

Can’t believe a two bob club like Luton are knocking on the door of the elite division with their Wimbledon brand of anti football …..whilst we’re in division 3 ( thanks Mel ) there are some on here who would take any sort of success but to be sustainable surely we have to want to be better than that ….

I really like Warne ..I just hope we don’t go down the Luton percentage football route and he builds as side who can play different ways as I couldn’t sit and watch what Luton dish up week in week out …everyone to there own I guess 

They’ve just finished 3rd in the league despite having one of the worst budgets and now are through to Wembley. 

Think now is the wrong time to be slagging them for being a direct team. 

6 hours ago, S8TY said:

Luton or Coventry please...anyone but Middlesbrough.

I'd like Luton to go up, I felt they were unfairly treated with a 30 point deduction, pretty much at the same time as West Ham fielded 2 ineligible players and only received a fine.

Luton almost went out of business and were non-league for a bit. What a story if they climb all the way to the Prem.

8 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Bournemouth played good football right through from league 2 to the Premier league. You don't have to 'get out of this league' in a different way. 

Each time Bournemouth got promoted, was by spending vastly beyond their means and playing players too good for the championship. 

That's their way.

6 hours ago, S8TY said:

Football snobbery at its finest.

9 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Ipswich and Plymouth just got out of league one playing attractive football.  No reason why we can't do the same. 

16 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Would you not have said that about Didzy last season though? Guess how many games he played in 20/21 at 33/34 years old? 

I did and admit it. IIRC my comments were that I'd never been impressed by Didzy but hoped he'd prove me wrong. I was and he did. Still doesn't invalidate my thoughts. We have a recent history of getting players in who have had injury problems and kept that up at Derby. Didzy bucking the trend doesn't mean we should now target injured players.....

On 13/05/2023 at 17:30, Millenniumram said:

McGoldrick doesn’t want to renew. Will go to Notts County if they’re promoted.

Hope not - those who think we can replace his goals might want to watch a few of them again. 

Not to mention that if we do replace him up front, he’d be a dream playing behind the front line, spraying the ball around like a frisbee, then scoring the odd screamer from 40 yards 

it’s a romantic idea, the twilight of your career at ‘your’ club. Hopefully he’s negotiating tho’ . Also hope that Warne’s careless comments about him along the way haven’t pi$$ed him off 

1 minute ago, Rich3478 said:

Didn’t think Luton were that bad to watch personally.

Sunderland’s aimless sideways passing and no focal point up front was worse to watch.

Coventry were far worse on Sunday. They were aimlessly hoofing without any thought for holding it up, countering or even playing the channels. Interesting to see how they go tonight.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Luton or Coventry please...anyone but Middlesbrough.

I'd like Luton to go up, I felt they were unfairly treated with a 30 point deduction, pretty much at the same time as West Ham fielded 2 ineligible players and only received a fine.

Luton almost went out of business and were non-league for a bit. What a story if they climb all the way to the Prem.

And both were going to enjoy their party so much when we died despite knowing how shitty we must have felt..  Shame Sunderland didn't go up.

48 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Football snobbery at its finest.

It's a bit of a balance IMHO. Playing good football can definitely get you out of this division (as we saw with Ipswich) but you need to be very good at it to succeed with pure football alone. If you ignore the physical aspects of the game at this level then you are inviting trouble and can look forward to playing teams off the park with loads of possession and still end up drawing and losing too many games because they were just too strong on set pieces and crosses and the officials will utterly fail to spot that your central defender has been felled by an elbow in the wind pipe in the lead up to the sickening late equaliser.

The striking thing about Luton for me was that although they were direct, physical and 'in your face' (and some may not like that), I thought they were not really as agricultural as I was expecting. They were up against a much more purist football side in Sunderland so the difference in styles was quite obvious but ultimately Sunderland couldn't cope with them.  Sure, they were physical and direct and had plenty of bite but they were also mobile and strong and very determined and had surprisingly respectable first touch. I'm not saying that I'd want them to be the model for our football and I'd certainly like to see us build a side that can evolve as we go through the divisions so I'm keen that we don't become too 1-dimensional and direct, but I'd also love us to have at least some of the power, pace and physicality on show last night, right through the core of the team. Resilience and strength in defence so we don't get bullied, bite and energy in midfield to better control games and power and pace up front to ask different questions of the opposition defence and not just relying on some Didzy magic. Obviously we want to mix that up with some guile and craft too so we can create chances and pull teams around but it really feels like the blend is what we need to get out of this division. We also need to be much more effective at set pieces. That's an area that really let us down.

There is also perhaps a perception in some quarters that we were way better at home than away and that's actually not strictly true in terms of the home and away form table relative to other teams. We were 6th on home form and 8th in away form so our final position was perhaps not a surprise. Now I'd be the first to say that we need to be more resilient on the road because we tossed away loads of points but the reality is that if we wanted to really challenge at the top then we were a bit too brittle full stop, home and away. We won 13 home games but there were 10 that we failed to win too and that's a hell of a lot of potential points dropped.