Referees

Seaside Ram

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

The report talks about raising standards in the lower leagues. Our forum talks of “Bungs “and burning houses down. We need to get a grip. Start by trying to ref a kids game and see how Easy it is .

I'll tell you a little story, I'm a qualified referee, Passed my course in the 90s as A referee told me "if you think it's easy take a course" I did and refereed in the Derby Taverners League(Sunday Morning) You start at the bottom division and work your way up through good marks, I got to run the line in a Cup Final in my 1st year...not bad I thought, You may not be surprised how thick some players are when it comes to the rules, These are the ones who are out on the lash on a Saturday night...turn up Sunday Morning and still half cut and thought they were Paul Gascoyne 🙄 

So my story is this, I was refereeing a game Between and older mans team and a younger mans team, The older players thought they could take advantage of the younger lads...only the younger lads were just as enthusiastic and wouldn't back down, One tackle by a younger player embarrassed the older player...the older player(who I knew)shouted for a free kick...I told him he's been at it all game and he got what was fare, He then decides to get in my face(big mistake)and called me a Bast**d, Not having it, So I nutted him, Blood and snot all over his face, A few choice words were spoken by him and the rabble on the side-line, Water off a ducks back as they knew who I was.

Nowt came of it, But that was the last game I refereed as I resigned from the leagues referees, I'm a big critic of officials, It's not an easy job...but some make a rod for their own backs at times by poor performances...no it's not an easy job, But they make it difficult by the performances...ie the Bolton game.

The referee last season I think it was Chelmsford...a female Ref, One of the best displays last season I saw...I wonder why🤷‍♂️

I wrote to Rick Parry about this, and as with the two previous emails, I got a patronising, condescending and vacuous response from one of his oppo’s. It is the FA who take the lead re match officials, so he gave me a massive ducking of responsibility. He did take the time to tell me that referees are extensively trained to the highest standards! Standards of what? Incompetence? Inconsistency? Or how to take a bung?

Whichever way, it is clearly time for new trainers. 😡

19 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I'll tell you a little story, I'm a qualified referee, Passed my course in the 90s as A referee told me "if you think it's easy take a course" I did and refereed in the Derby Taverners League(Sunday Morning) You start at the bottom division and work your way up through good marks, I got to run the line in a Cup Final in my 1st year...not bad I thought, You may not be surprised how thick some players are when it comes to the rules, These are the ones who are out on the lash on a Saturday night...turn up Sunday Morning and still half cut and thought they were Paul Gascoyne 🙄 

So my story is this, I was refereeing a game Between and older mans team and a younger mans team, The older players thought they could take advantage of the younger lads...only the younger lads were just as enthusiastic and wouldn't back down, One tackle by a younger player embarrassed the older player...the older player(who I knew)shouted for a free kick...I told him he's been at it all game and he got what was fare, He then decides to get in my face(big mistake)and called me a Bast**d, Not having it, So I nutted him, Blood and snot all over his face, A few choice words were spoken by him and the rabble on the side-line, Water off a ducks back as they knew who I was.

Nowt came of it, But that was the last game I refereed as I resigned from the leagues referees, I'm a big critic of officials, It's not an easy job...but some make a rod for their own backs at times by poor performances...no it's not an easy job, But they make it difficult by the performances...ie the Bolton game.

The referee last season I think it was Chelmsford...a female Ref, One of the best displays last season I saw...I wonder why🤷‍♂️

It was Cheltenham, Rebecca Welch, and she is the referee at pride park today.

The question is will we all think she’s still the best referee, hope so.🤞🏻

15 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I thought she was good. If their goal was offside, then she was let down by the assistant ref.

The assistant ref in front of the East stand was dreadful - only raised his flag for throw-ins and corners - and then didn’t police where the throw-ins should be taken from….

1 hour ago, 1967Ram said:

I thought she was good. If their goal was offside, then she was let down by the assistant ref.

She was the best ref we've had this season, but you could clear that bar on your hands and knees. Not a patch on her last performance, and was happy to let Portsmouth play rugby for most of the match.

58 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

The assistant ref in front of the East stand was dreadful - only raised his flag for throw-ins and corners - and then didn’t police where the throw-ins should be taken from….

There was one tight incident where he waved his flag to signify a corner against Wildsmith so decisively, despite having to run up to do it as he was ten yards from the byeline, it made me laugh! 

I've no idea whether it actually was a corner as I wasn't in line. And neither was he.

I thought the ref was generally okay, but she let their number 6 get away with murder. He kept falling over and she kept giving him free kicks. Yet  he got away with mugging Waggy time after time.

Thought she was a good ref, loved it when she booked their player for asking her to card Cashin after he had fouled him.

got all of the major decisions right there maybe a hint of offside about the goal but too close to call on any replays I have seen.

Be happy if she reffed every week after the dross that normally officiates us

I thought she was great. Remember they don’t have VAR so that must affect their decision making knowing whatever they decide is final without any help.

When Collins was booked today we would have seen many of the other refs from League One send him off and totally ruin the game.

It made me laugh when our fans were moaning she didn’t let Hourihane back on the pitch after being injured…you have to be off a minimum of 30 seconds I think now after injury…often as fans we don’t actually know the rules but moan like we do! 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

If I'm being honest I thought she was poor today and the same standard of officiating we've had all season. Numerous imaginary fouls everywhere and missing obvious shirt pulls with no punishment. 

yeah, i thought she had a poor game compared to when we had her before. She wasn't helped by atrocious linesman. 

6 hours ago, nick_d said:

Thought she was a good ref, loved it when she booked their player for asking her to card Cashin after he had fouled him.

got all of the major decisions right there maybe a hint of offside about the goal but too close to call on any replays I have seen.

Be happy if she reffed every week after the dross that normally officiates us

She was close enough to spot the handball leading up to the equaliser but didn't.

The refereeing is poor but its the same ref for both sides.

Start playing well, Creating more chances & we'll find we'll get more decisions or the poor decisions will affect the game less if we are three up.

Yes the officiating hasnt been the best but its the standard for the division we find ourselves in. We need to stop moaning about it & start playing proper football 

6 hours ago, trappatoni said:

Impossible to tell on replays - and I've freeze framed it. 

When it's that close, I'm in favour of giving the benefit of doubt and allowing the goal. After all, the game football is  about scoring goals. Derby can't blame the officials for not seeing out the game. The ref actually did OK today. 

13 minutes ago, europia said:

When it's that close, I'm in favour of giving the benefit of doubt and allowing the goal. After all, the game football is  about scoring goals. Derby can't blame the officials for not seeing out the game. The ref actually did OK today. 

Spot on.

An ability to either keep possession or clear the ball from danger cost us 3 points, not the officials.