Referees

Seaside Ram

14 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

I would agree with this post, watching live I was certain she was going to reach for the red card when Hourihane had a heavy touch and slid in trying to redeem himself. On another point , do we train with footballs that have higher air pressure as we can’t control the match balls at all.

She took her time with the Hourihane booking. Perhaps sought the opinion of the asst referees. I feared the worst.

I think the NML card was a worse foul than many thought at the game..

She allowed Wycombe to play her completely. They got away with fouls that earned our players a booking. Sibley effectively got booked for a timewasting offence and apart from reciprocating for the same offence one of their players in the second half, she did nothing about their constant gamesmanship. The incident with Taylor simply made her look weak. The FA should charge Taylor because what he did was utterly disrespectful, but she should also be spoken to by her association and shown where she needs to improve.

I think if you're using the textbook definitions then many of the decisions today were correct, even if we as a fanbase broadly seem to have disagreed. Wycombe weren't kicking us to bits or anything like that and the team making most fouls was clearly us.

I think that's where the performance fell down today though, and I think it may have been influenced by the fast-tracking - it wasn't the performance of a ref who understood the nature of the specific fixture or the teams involved, who knew how to manage the game even when sometimes it may have called for some leniency against the pedantry of officialdom.

It feels wrong to criticise an official for being officious (!), and I can understand that when all eyes are on you you may default to making sure you tick all the boxes, but today felt like a game which needed a little more nuance and understanding, even in situations where the rulebook might not necessarily be followed to a tee. That's something which can only come with experience though, and she's shown plenty in past matches to be allowed to continue gaining that experience, and now at a higher level. We (mostly) all thought she was brilliant until today.

What that doesn't excuse is the lack of awareness and added minutes for all of their first half time wasting, the lack of a retrospective booking for their player after (correctly) playing on, or the drop ball where Wycombe were allowed to gain an advantage despite her getting in the way of a pass from us.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

There are plenty of regular male refs we have that would have totally lost control of that game, from watching at home I got the feeling the people in the ground were getting caught up in a shared emotion that did not reflect reality. Hourihane should have been sent off IMO, extrmemely lucky, thought she did well in an ugly game. If Derby played the way Wycombe did i'd be absolutely ashamed.

16 minutes ago, sage said:

She took her time with the Hourihane booking. Perhaps sought the opinion of the asst referees. I feared the worst.

Hourihane's yellow was a 50/50. One player rolled around (then got up with minimal treatment), one player didn’t. If Hourihane rolled around and theirs didn’t, theirs would’ve got a yellow. 

I feared the worst as I always do when players charge straight over. Their captain is very good at it (also tried to get Sibley sent off when they weren’t even in the same postcode). He was the same v Shrewsbury last year. 

In the first half it felt like if a Wycombe player had tried to sell her an out of date turkey she’d have bought it. 

Edit: should say I do think she did well to regain her composure wrt the Hourihane incident. Dont agree with the decision but she took her time when it looked like she was reaching for her back pocket quite quickly 

Edited by nottingram

1 minute ago, Gritstone Ram said:

At least she didn’t fall for the theatrical falling down of several Wycombe players but the drop ball was a load of tosh when the ball hit her and I still think NML was fouled in the box.

That's the rule. They had the ball. It restarts with an uncontested drop ball.

31 minutes ago, sage said:

Hourihane seems to do those sorts of fouls quite often, a bit flat footed or just slow and dives in with a straight leg. He did something quite similar in the second minute, thought he could have even got booked for that. 

Agree on the NML foul, certainly a booking - overran it and caught the man high. Bird's was an obvious yellow and Collins kept on going with their player even when she called them over so can't really complain. I thought the Sibley one was a little harsh as he wasn't trying to waste time but the players all know kicking the ball away runs the risk of a yellow. 

26 minutes ago, ben_dcfc said:

Hourihane seems to do those sorts of fouls quite often, a bit flat footed or just slow and dives in with a straight leg. He did something quite similar in the second minute, thought he could have even got booked for that. 

Agree on the NML foul, certainly a booking - overran it and caught the man high. Bird's was an obvious yellow and Collins kept on going with their player even when she called them over so can't really complain. I thought the Sibley one was a little harsh as he wasn't trying to waste time but the players all know kicking the ball away runs the risk of a yellow. 

Warne was saying refs have been told to take a tougher line with kicking it away.

Retuning Ram, completely agree with you re the physio comment, same near me, just ignorance,, maybe those calling for her head can explain to me which booking was wrong , which penalty was wrong, she kept up with play unlike most of the males we get here. I wish her well, but she was not to blame for our appalling inability to see a game out yet again which is why Warne had no complaints about her because he knows where the blame lies 

12 hours ago, dilkie said:

As Taylor was being subbed, she told him to go the shortest way, he ignored her and did as he pleased. She was an absolute joke and if that is the acceptable level of referring in this woke world, then God help the professional men’s game. 

12 hours ago, 1of4 said:

He didn't just ignore her, he physically brushed her aside as he headed towards the dugout.

Hypothetical question, as I don't think Taylor had already been booked anyway...

should/could this be a bookable offence?
...And if it had been a second yellow = red... what then happens with the sub, seeing as that substitution had already been "officially announced" (By putting up the subs board, otherwise he wouldn't be walking off at all, in any direction!).

I know cards can be issued after the final whistle, so just wondered what "could" happen in a situation like this? 🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, ziggazagga said:

Retuning Ram, completely agree with you re the physio comment, same near me, just ignorance,, maybe those calling for her head can explain to me which booking was wrong , which penalty was wrong, she kept up with play unlike most of the males we get here. I wish her well, but she was not to blame for our appalling inability to see a game out yet again which is why Warne had no complaints about her because he knows where the blame lies 

No-one is calling for her head, but she isn't beyond criticism. Booking 5 of our players in the opening half-hour, but none of the opposition, was ludicrously one-eyed. None of those defending her performance seem to have noticed that she failed to penalise Wycombe players for waving imaginary cards in her face or for completely ignoring her instructions to leave the pitch by the shortest route and barging her out of the way. She started out trying to show how tough she could be (and to be fair she handled the handbags stuff well) but ended up with her authority being effectively ridiculed by Taylor and let him get away with it. I'd like to think that the FA will have a look at that incident but I won't hold my breath.

I think it will be in her own interest to have an honest review of her overall control of the game. I agree that plenty of male referees would have been conned by Wycombe's antics yesterday, but they wouldn't be exempt from criticism either.

I couldn’t really argue with any of the yellow cards, though she didn’t help herself by being so keen to book Sibs early on which set the tone - my issue was her refusal to clamp down on the diving/rolling around as if you’ve been shot/simulation that Wycombe were guilty of all game - their number 10 clearly simulated a foul right in front of the linesman to try and get Sibley sent off yet there was no action until Collins took offence at the cheat - and then she booked them both for handbags….Taylor collapsed to the ground at one point clutching his head trying to get Cash sent off - if it was an elbow (it wasn’t), Cash should have been sent off, if she thought it was simulation, she should have booked the red dog….. and she should certainly issue a card when he ignored her instructions to leave via the nearest byline….

13 hours ago, sage said:

Rubbish.

She got every major call right.

Warne had no arguments with the bookings or penalty.

She could have been tougher on their time wasting and general shithousery, but every booking was correct, as was the penalty.Hourihane could have had a red.

She was awful! She told us to hurry up everytime yet they got to take as longs as possible! Throwings in wrong places and we were getting told to stay where we were. Also our bookings were bookings apart from collins where they had quite a few which she didnt book early on which caused her to have a rod for her own back! She got quite a few corner/ goal kicks wrong in the game. Granted she cant have a good game everytime but she should not be ref in the premier league. 

5 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

She was awful! She told us to hurry up everytime yet they got to take as longs as possible! Throwings in wrong places and we were getting told to stay where we were. Also our bookings were bookings apart from collins where they had quite a few which she didnt book early on which caused her to have a rod for her own back! She got quite a few corner/ goal kicks wrong in the game. Granted she cant have a good game everytime but she should not be ref in the 

So you agree with the bookings except one and you agree with the penalty.

But, she is terrible.

They'll be giving women the vote next 

9 minutes ago, sage said:

So you agree with the bookings except one and you agree with the penalty.

But, she is terrible.

They'll be giving women the vote next 

So you think she got every decision right, even those where she didn't penalise or caution players for clear offences?

50 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

If she is deemed an elite / premier league standard referee then there can only be one reason why she's been promoted! 

I think you'll find Seaside that there's been a good few "new recruits" from the EFL to the EPL this season, Howard Webb who's head of the PGMOL is trying to freshen up or Box Tick 🤷‍♂️ for reasons he only knows.

34 minutes ago, Crewton said:

So you think she got every decision right, even those where she didn't penalise or caution players for clear offences?

She got the vast majority right. Far more than the crowd thought both at the time and on here. No glaring errors.

She could have maybe booked one of theirs when she played advantage, but it wasn't stonewall. The problem was yesterday that the crowd were in mass hysteria and howled about every decision with a pack mentality.

Not aimed at you, but being female and giving decisions against Derby outraged many with some awful comments at the game and on here. 

She could have dealt with their shithousing better. Hurried them along and spoken to them about the playacting. However the outrage is laughable.