Referees

Seaside Ram

5 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Could I just say congratulations to Rebecca Welch who will be officiating in the Prem tomorrow.

Best ref we’ve seen in League One.

Much deserved recognition.

Won't she just be holding up the subs numbers and watching to see if more than one person stands in the technical area?

31 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Won't she just be holding up the subs numbers and watching to see if more than one person stands in the technical area?

WON'T SHE JUST?????? Wow.

I say, well done to her. We all have to start somewhere. Clearly one of the best if not the best at our level. Has officiated in the championship. Why not the Premier. 

37 minutes ago, ossieram said:

4th official for a premier League game is part of the preparation for upcoming referees before they get given the opportunity to referee at that level isn't it?

So yes, of itself might not be as headline grabbing as it at first appears but does show she's held on the regards that she could be a premier League ref in the future.

40 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

4th official for a premier League game is part of the preparation for upcoming referees before they get given the opportunity to referee at that level isn't it?

So yes, of itself might not be as headline grabbing as it at first appears but does show she's held on the regards that she could be a premier League ref in the future.

It's a tick box exercise. 

I'm not saying she isn't good enough and won't go on to have a great career,  but rushing people through before they are ready results in people like Atwell. 

54 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I'm not saying she isn't good enough and won't go on to have a great career,  but rushing people through before they are ready results in people like Atwell. 

She stands out as being the best referee  we have had by a distance. I am pleased to see her progress. To say it is a tick box exercise is strange. 

2 hours ago, bcnram said:

She stands out as being the best referee  we have had by a distance. I am pleased to see her progress. To say it is a tick box exercise is strange. 

She is certainly the best ref we’ve had this season but there’s still a problem if she gets drawn into the PL world, that she then isn’t available to ref matches further down the pyramid unless it’s a punishment for an error.  So we see a good ref with potential to be a very good ref in what has to date largely been a man’s world, running the line or holding up the numbers whilst holding back Mr Klopp or, worse, sitting in front of a bank of TV screens trying to work out whether the ball hitting a hand is actually handball. Or not.  She might get the main job once in a while and do well, but the rest of us (the majority of professional football teams in this country) have to make do with another EFL numpty trainee in her place.

8 hours ago, ossieram said:

Being 4th official is not rushing through. Throwing her into match referee is rushing her through.  4th official is breaking her in gently, giving her the experience of being involved in a big match, large crowds, better standards etc. 

Not wishing to take anything away from Ms Welch's fine achievements, but this reference to box ticking does take a little of the shine of it, imo.

It's the latest step taken by the PGMOL to increase diversity in the professional game after Bhupinder Singh Gill became the first Sikh-Punjabi to act an assistant referee in the Premier League in January.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12998938/rebecca-welch-to-become-first-female-fourth-official-in-premier-league-this-weekend-for-fulham-vs-man-utd

It's hardly 'tick box' if there is a determined effort to increase diversity across the board by PGMOL. That's a plan.

Tick box is when there is a small concession to appease people whilst largely carrying on as before. Often by appointing someone not good enough to do the job.  That's the illusion of a plan.

Personally I think that good referees should be promoted and drawing attention to the fact that they are good will only encourage new people from more diverse backgrounds to take up refereeing and it become the norm.

I remember when there were comments about Sian Massey-Ellis on here every time she ran the line at our game. Now she doesn't even warrant a mention! She was, of course, very good again on Tuesday night. 

Wished all our assistant referees were as good as Sian and referees as good as Rebecca. 

31 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's hardly 'tick box' if there is a determined effort to increase diversity across the board by PGMOL. That's a plan.

Tick box is when there is a small concession to appease people whilst largely carrying on as before. Often by appointing someone not good enough to do the job.  That's the illusion of a plan.

Personally I think that good referees should be promoted and drawing attention to the fact that they are good will only encourage new people from more diverse backgrounds to take up refereeing and it become the norm.

I remember when there were comments about Sian Massey-Ellis on here every time she ran the line at our game. Now she doesn't even warrant a mention! She was, of course, very good again on Tuesday night. 

Wished all our assistant referees were as good as Sian and referees as good as Rebecca. 

First off, I reiterate my desire to not take away from Ms Welch's achievements (or ability, for that matter).  She is clearly highly regarded, seemingly by peers and fans alike.
Secondly, apologies if my reference to "box ticking" is in fact the incorrect phrase.  I'm no wordsmith.

But when the PGMOL outwardly state that this is "...The latest step taken by the PGMOL to increase diversity in the professional game..." then I get the impression that this is the reasoning behind this "promotion".  Why would I not?  They're telling me it is!

Had they announced:  "This is the latest step by the PGMOL to ensure those with appropriate ability are suitably rewarded", then my view would have a full on and hearty "Bravo Rebecca"!

I'm not one to baulk away from admitting my dumbness, but if there's any misunderstanding in this instance, I'm blaming the PGMOL, for stating their reasons behind this as being primarily (If not solely) diversity related, and not achievement related.  

🤷‍♂️

EDIT:
Just realised my emboldened quote is actually from Sky, not the PGMOL themselves.  Without seeing the actual direct statement from PGMOL, I may well be doing them a disservice, so apologies to them, if indeed Sky have misinformed the reading public!  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Mucker1884

10 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

First off, I reiterate my desire to not take away from Ms Welch's achievements (or ability, for that matter).  She is clearly highly regarded, seemingly by peers and fans alike.
Secondly, apologies if my reference to "box ticking" is in fact the incorrect phrase.  I'm no wordsmith.

But when the PGMOL outwardly state that this is "...The latest step taken by the PGMOL to increase diversity in the professional game..." then I get the impression that this is the reasoning behind this "promotion".  Why would I not?  They're telling me it is!

Had they announced:  "This is the latest step by the PGMOL to ensure those with appropriate ability are suitably rewarded", then my view would have a full on and hearty "Bravo Rebecca"!

I'm not one to baulk away from admitting my dumbness, but if there's any misunderstanding in this instance, I'm blaming the PGMOL, for stating their reasons behind this as being primarily (If not solely) diversity related, and not achievement related.  

🤷‍♂️

Spot on

Rebecca Welch is clearly good enough to referee professional football...as seen at PP, Football in the EPL maybe quicker, Better in the dark arts, More open to VAR and high profile, But, It's still a game of football.

Sticking her as a 4th official is like saying...we think you're good enough to referee but as you're a female we don't want to rush you into the game, Women are more diverse than men, Women are more patient than men, Women can quell an incident better than men, Diversity blah blah blah...if you're good enough you're old enough.

Simples 👍

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

🤷‍♂️

One of football's official bodies not being clear (or maybe they are?) in their statement. Who'd a funked it?