Referees

Seaside Ram

On 17/12/2023 at 23:11, europia said:

Totally agree with that. However, meeting diversity targets shouldn't take precedence over ability, regarding the promotion of match officials. 

Totally agree. Taking the 3 games Rebecca Welch has officiated DCFC, she has done well in all 3. Not perfect but no ref, including me (retired last season at 69), is. I think she's being fast tracked but not because she is female but because she is good at the job.

She might be having an easier ride from players than her male counterparts because most players know that any angry "in her face" moments would be all over the press and social media in a flash and their wife/girl friend/ mother would give them a really hard time. That says more about players than it does about female refs.

On 21/12/2023 at 09:23, MadAmster said:

Totally agree. Taking the 3 games Rebecca Welch has officiated DCFC, she has done well in all 3. Not perfect but no ref, including me (retired last season at 69), is. I think she's being fast tracked but not because she is female but because she is good at the job.

She might be having an easier ride from players than her male counterparts because most players know that any angry "in her face" moments would be all over the press and social media in a flash and their wife/girl friend/ mother would give them a really hard time. That says more about players than it does about female refs.

From the games that I watched, one of the better match officials in the Qatar world cup was the French female referee. 

I'm interested to see how both Rebecca Welch and Chris Allison adapt to the PL. I have a hunch that the former will outperform the latter, but they'll both be facing greater scrutiny/criticism than they've experienced to date plus the minefield that is VAR. Still, if Stuart Atwell can survive there, anyone can.....

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

I'm interested to see how both Rebecca Welch and Chris Allison adapt to the PL. I have a hunch that the former will outperform the latter, but they'll both be facing greater scrutiny/criticism than they've experienced to date plus the minefield that is VAR. Still, if Stuart Atwell can survive there, anyone can.....

Sam Allison is quite possibly the worst referee I've seen at a match I've attended - he was dreadful in our game against Port Vale last season.