James Collins

Sean

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Forums are for opinions but it’s clear there’s only yours that matter and we should all believe what your trying to sell. 

I don’t think there’s one Derby supporter that would want one of their own players to not do well. That’s illogical, don’t you think? 

Are you sure about that?? ?

17 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

He was not excellent and he didn’t take his goal well. 

Didzy was excellent and his assist was brilliant. Won the ball and laid it on a plate to score. 

McGoldrick was excellent but I’ve read the post match comments and wondering if I’m the only one that noticed that shot he had in the second half when we were still 2 up?

Can’t remember the full move but he ran and shot, which was either blocked or pushed wide. Collins though was a few feet further on, not offside and unmarked. Said to blokes around me he should’ve passed to Collins; only for one bloke to say he’d have blazed over. Can’t fathom why he thought that, as I’ve not noticed him do it yet. Seems he really has to win a lot over, a 2nd goal and us going 3 up might have done that.

This is just my opinion, as I noticed it at the time and thought we might regret that miss.

7 hours ago, Zag zig said:

McGoldrick was excellent but I’ve read the post match comments and wondering if I’m the only one that noticed that shot he had in the second half when we were still 2 up?

Can’t remember the full move but he ran and shot, which was either blocked or pushed wide. Collins though was a few feet further on, not offside and unmarked. Said to blokes around me he should’ve passed to Collins; only for one bloke to say he’d have blazed over. Can’t fathom why he thought that, as I’ve not noticed him do it yet. Seems he really has to win a lot over, a 2nd goal and us going 3 up might have done that.

This is just my opinion, as I noticed it at the time and thought we might regret that miss.

Collins last season 3 goals in 23 appearan es, couldn't hit a barn door.

He might have changed of course ... 

8 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Said to blokes around me he should’ve passed to Collins; only for one bloke to say he’d have blazed over. Can’t fathom why he thought that, as I’ve not noticed him do it yet.

17 shots in total so far : 5 on target, 5 blocked, 1 hit post, 6 off target.

No real strong evidence of above average inaccuracy or "blazing over" which I can't recall any examples of either. Certainly a couple of missed opportunities that don't appear in those stats, but some fans are convinced he's a disaster and he'll need to score every match for the rest of the season to change their entrenched opinion. 

23 hours ago, Zag zig said:

McGoldrick often takes the rather selfish option of shooting from a long way out when other players are far better placed. But, given our overall shot-shyness, I try not to mind because at least he shoots. But if I were his teammates, I'd be annoyed. 

On 04/09/2022 at 21:52, Ghost of Clough said:

The goal was very well taken, with Collins showing excellent technique with his finish.

I fully agree with this, especially when you consider the pressure on him after not scoring so far. With lack of confidence, you'd expect him to panic and take a wild shot, which could have gone anywhere. But, no it was a very delicate and deliberate finish.

On the other hand, although he created his opportunity brilliantly, I think that NML just lashed at his shot, when he scored, but with the same result.

Taking out the goal on Saturday I actually thought it was his best game for Derby on Saturday( That wasn't hard though). Having McGoldrick along side him would have obviously helped.

From what I have seen of him so far though I'm far from convinced. Aside from the not scoring I don't think he really adds much to the team. I think Saturday was the first time i saw him win a header. Generally he gets little involvement in the game and the opposition defenders seem to have him in their pocket all game. On current form I can't see him scoring more than 10 goals over the season. I guess the question comes do you stick with him or bench him. That's a tough call. I think give him a couple more games to see if he can show something. If not I think you start giving Osula a chance.

12 hours ago, Magicman said:

He was free, he has a good physical presence and will get 10 goals average per season. I would have preferred CKR for another year but ce'la vie 

He was free for a reason.

I haven't seen any physical presence from him. he seems to get easily muscled out of it by defenders. seems quite lightweight to me.

CKR, now that's physical presence

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely cracking emphatic finish today. What happened with the red ? .. did he have a mad brainless moment ? Or was he wronged ? 

Can’t deny I like the man. He is a team player and gutsy. Not perfect for sure, but a good line leader and is that 4 goals in 3 games ? Going to miss him with the suspension.