James Collins

Sean

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'll have you know, the ref on Saturday awarded a freekick for grappling from a corner. However, it was mutual grappling and Port Vale were awarded a freekick. Defenders always seem to get away with it, whereas attackers are punished. That is unless you're a big strong defender like Davies, and then you shouldn't get thrown to the floor by someone as small and weak as Ikpeazu.

I agree defenders get away with this nearly all the time and it is bizarre that they do... although Fulham didn't at the weekend.

Pointless to appeal, does anyone in their wildest dreams think that the EFL would overturn it in Derbys favour!!! 

News flash from EFL, the ref has been rewarded with the FA cup final as a bonus for his outstanding perfomance in refereeing Derby v Port Vale and ensuring that Derby did not win, videos are in the post to all L1 refs to ensure the outcome will be the same when they officiate against Derby County.

7 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

Pointless to appeal, does anyone in their wildest dreams think that the EFL would overturn it in Derbys favour!!! 

News flash from EFL, the ref has been rewarded with the FA cup final as a bonus for his outstanding perfomance in refereeing Derby v Port Vale and ensuring that Derby did not win, videos are in the post to all L1 refs to ensure the outcome will be the same when they officiate against Derby County.

It would be the FA

1st peno - Its irrelevant whether it was or not, the ref couldn't see and the lino took far too long to decide. Which i'm interpreting as that he's guessed. 

2nd peno - Correct decision and the most stonewall of the lot.

Red card - I've seen the video about 50 times and still can't decide what the right decision is. Although as others have said it would appear that Collins was hauled to the ground by the defender. 

My personal opinion with the red is that it wasn't clear either way and apart from the 2 PV defenders and Collins nobody on the pitch seemed to acknowledge it so could the ref have turned a blind eye and let the match carry on even stevens at 1-1? I say this as whether its right or not home teams/bigger teams tend to get the decisions when its a 50/50 shout. For the ref to go out of his way and go against the home/bigger team on two occasions is mind boggling to me. 

Anyway, lets hope McGoldrick is fit because Osula looks very much a work in progress.

Edited by TomTom92

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

1st peno - Its irrelevant whether it was or not, the ref couldn't see and the lino took far too long to decide. Which i'm interpreting as that he's guessed. 

2nd peno - Correct decision and the most stonewall of the lot.

Red card - I've seen the video about 50 times and still can't decide what the right decision is. Although as others have said it would appear that Collins was hauled to the ground by the defender. 

My personal opinion with the red is that it wasn't clear either way and apart from the 2 PV defenders and Collins nobody on the pitch seemed to acknowledge it so could the ref have turned a blind eye and let the match carry on even stevens at 1-1? I say this as whether its right or not home teams/bigger teams tend to get the decisions when its a 50/50 shout. For the ref to go out of his way and go against the home/bigger team on two occasions is mind boggling to me. 

Anyway, lets hope McGoldrick is fit because Osula looks very much a work in progress.

Can I suggest you stop wasting your time and move on. It's not going to change anything. ?

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'll have you know, the ref on Saturday awarded a freekick for grappling from a corner. However, it was mutual grappling and Port Vale were awarded a freekick. Defenders always seem to get away with it, whereas attackers are punished. That is unless you're a big strong defender like Davies, and then you shouldn't get thrown to the floor by someone as small and weak as Ikpeazu.

I am fully aware whilst I personally would like to see a couple of penalties awarded to each team in the first twenty minutes for each side to get  them to stop it

I really found it a very strange decision to make.

I thought that the officials had to have seen the infringement. 

Looking at the footage I would say at best they would have had a partial view at best.  More likely is that they have not seen the the unraveling of the incident meaning they were heavily swayed by the PV appeals. Effectively should it goe to appeal the officials are unlikely to admit that they made a decision without having full line of sight.

Edited by HectorsHouse

On 09/10/2022 at 22:39, Tamworthram said:

From the Twitter clip earlier on this thread it looks to me like he did make contact but with the inside of his arm and certainly not his fist. Therefore I reckon it must have been photoshopped. 

I doubt he intended to make contact with the player but in real time, and from where the officials would have been positioned, I can see how it would have looked like violent conduct.

I agree about the dodgy referee and theatrics from the PV player but reckon the ref got this one right. I think he would have been sent off even if the PV player had just lay there rubbing his head so I don’t think we can blame anyone other than Collins. It was a stupid thing to do and very likely cost us at least a point but he isn’t the first, and won’t be the last, senior player to do something foolish that cost us not only in the game but also for the next three.

All very proper and no doubt right by a rule book but it completely disregards sporting ethics which to me are above any rules. They scuffled and fought for a ball. I doubt Collins made contact in any case, but even if he did, the opponent felt nothing and was not hurt in any way. The opponents behaved deliberately to gain an unfair sporting advantage. Fine, it’s within the rules and Collins got sent off. C’est la vie …. But it’s stinks to high heaven and I would say the same about any Derby player doing the same thing. If anyone claims to be sporting yet thinks it was fundamentally right for Collo to be sent off then they sadden me to the core. That’s not sport, fair play or anything remotely decent. It’s the wink and a chuckle brigade when you “do” someone for your own gain in an underhand way. Clever , maybe. “Right” .. no way. 

6 hours ago, SirBrian said:

I love the self fulfilling prophesy merchants on here whom would be happy for us to appeal only to have it turned down to therefore reinforce their own internal biased view of the EFL or FA.

Rather than accept that the decision may be the correct one. 

10 minutes ago, jono said:

All very proper and no doubt right by a rule book but it completely disregards sporting ethics which to me are above any rules. They scuffled and fought for a ball. I doubt Collins made contact in any case, but even if he did, the opponent felt nothing and was not hurt in any way. The opponents behaved deliberately to gain an unfair sporting advantage. Fine, it’s within the rules and Collins got sent off. C’est la vie …. But it’s stinks to high heaven and I would say the same about any Derby player doing the same thing. If anyone claims to be sporting yet thinks it was fundamentally right for Collo to be sent off then they sadden me to the core. That’s not sport, fair play or anything remotely decent. It’s the wink and a chuckle brigade when you “do” someone for your own gain in an underhand way. Clever , maybe. “Right” .. no way. 

I hate the play acting and cheating in the game and our own players over the years have not been entirely innocent. However, as I said before, I really do think he did make contact. In no way did it justify the reaction from the PV player but I still reckon if he’d just lay there rubbing his head, the ref would have sent Collins off. The PV player overreacted but it was nether the less a foolish thing for Collins to do and probably did look like violent conduct to the referee.

Having said all of that, there is no point in holding it against Collins. As far as I’m concerned, he was a silly boy, left the ref no alternative but to send him off and probably cost us the game but it will all be forgotten in my mind when he next plays.

13 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Did you hear the conversation between the lino and the ref?  Or are you guessing ?

Well if the lino thought it was stonewall he would've flagged straight away and same for the ref. What's there to discuss? It wasn't like there was another Port Vale player in the mix that might have clashed with his own player or another Derby player that might have committed an offence. 

Secondly who's the lino? Rosie Jones?