Matchday Thread - Derby County v Peterborough United (27/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

Re: Stearman’s challenge, it was 50/50 I think and I’d be going mad if it was the other way round, but I think two things worked in our favour. 1) Stearman genuinely attempted to get the ball rather than the man. Whilst he went to ground there was no malice. 2) I think Clarke-Harris has gone to win the foul/ride the challenge rather than go round Stearman to go through. I say this because I think C-H wanted to go through I think he could have avoided Stearman (this being in the North Stand and being in line with it). I’m sure there are people going ‘well it shouldn’t matter’, but I fully disagree with them because I think it does. If C-H attempts to make the run and gets taken out then it’d be a red, but he wasn’t honest enough and actually kept Stearman on the pitch. 

just got home, Strange game for me where we had the lions share of the ball, Doing all the things LR is asking but some things we shouldn't...like giving them the ball when a easier ball was on, Sucker punch for their goal, Cross comes in and player ghosts in at the back post...0-1 against 10 men...we've been there before ?

Then we started to revert to type, Playing balls that a simple ball was the better ball, I couldn't see us getting back in the game, Another corner with the same outcome...No, Knight rises like a Salmon that's been stung by an underwater wasp...boom 1-1, Crowd is now up for it, This resonates to the players, I'm happy with a point, The players aint, Ball comes in, And an old head is there...enter Mr McGoldrick, A side foot into the net...and PP explodes, At my age I was whooping it up...thought I was 20 again, The noise from all 4 sides was electric, I even sang which is very unusual for me.

A deserved 3 points, Won by a little craft and an attitude of not giving up, The supporters WERE the 12th man...Boom!  

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Well we stole that - and it was a great ending!

Poor forward play for most of the game.

A game of two red card decisions. Thompson, who had been strong in defence, sent off for a second yellow as Barks broke the long jump record.

Stearman seeing yellow not red when last man (admittedly near half way)

Subs again made a difference. Smith was calm and accurate. McGoldrick the man we needed when the chance came.

Knight head and shoulders above the six out of tens.

Good to win ugly 

Cashin was behind him and likely to intercept the forward.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

As a general football comment, if I was a manager in this league I’d be exasperated by how wasteful strikers are when they are in good positions with time and space. Was the same for both sides today.

A bit of composure lads for christ sakes, a player willing to take a touch on the ball must be worth their weight in goal-d in this league

I guess that's why the strikers are in this league.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

He also showed us, as if we needed reminding, that he actually can’t play football outside of the box. Tried to score from half way and could barely kick it as far as the area, fell over the ball etc. He’s a curious footballer. 

Think he took the wrong club ?

Just a brief note on my post match experience. Unfortunately I had to get to London tonight in order to get a flight in the morning. After dashing away from PP, I ended up on a delayed London-bound train full of inebriated Posh fans.

Now I have been on many a boozy away day in my time. And probably annoyed locals in cities all around the country by being noisy and even unruly. But these guys were vile. Two late 40-something guys decided to intimidate an older lady,  travelling on her own, because she asked them to leave her alone when they tried to banter with her. They were disgustingly unpleasant to her constantly for the half hour that it took to get to Leicester, where they left the train. She was in tears after they had gone. This was done in front of their teenage sons who smirked and giggled throughout. The rest of the carriage was rammed and no less offensive. I can honestly say that I have never seen Rams fans behaving like that. Ever.

One of my minor concerns was not really having many clubs to hate in this league (other than Wycombe, of course). Posh have gone to the top of the list for me now. Tinpot club, vile fans.

I am SO glad that we broke their hearts today, in their cup final.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I actually enjoyed the game especially the first half. Obviously made sweeter by the win and two late goals.

I do get that and was as happy as anyone with the way it turned out but there was a degree of casualness that got to me. Simple un pressured passes that were too short or to far forward/back. A lack of movement and endeavour that was very much unlike our normal eagerness. I love Hourihan’s understated subtlety but today it looked more like going through the motions. I did wonder if the full blooded WBA performance had had an effect but either way we lacked polish somewhat, especially in the middle and despite their competitive nature and hard work, Peterborough individually looked bang average but we helped them look better than they were. 

What an absolutely bizarre game.

I don’t feel like we played well but we could have been 2 or 3 up in the first half. 

Peterborough fans feel like they played really well but I thought they were fairly average…their finishing was awful and I can’t see too much wrong with the red card. If you’re on a yellow you don’t even attempt that tackle.

Amazing what a difference McGoldrick made but not so sure he could last 70+ mins (at least yet).

My positives were Knight, Sibley, Dobbin (at times) and McGoldrick. Also thought Smith was pinging the ball about with purpose when he came on.