Matchday Thread - Mansfield Town v Derby County (09/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

12 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Don't know who scored. Watching through Bet365's 2D visualisation.

It's like watching battleships, circa 1970.

Oduroh (pre defensive zone 7)plays a one-two with Mendez-Laing (pre defensive zone 6) who then advances into zones 11 and 16, he crosses from zone 16, Barkhuizen has anticipated the cross from zone 16 and advanced from zones 14, 19a & 19b to head in the winner from zone 18b

You know it makes sense……………..the way forward for match day threads! ?

spacer.png

Thought we played well.

Few random observations:

Sibley needs to start. 

Rooney might be a better option than Thompson

A prolific striker would be a god-send

Collins needs a goal to get that monkey off his back

Every f****** game this season is going to be someone’s ‘cup final’, there will be no easy games ?

18 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Thought we played well.

Few random observations:

Sibley needs to start. 

Rooney might be a better option than Thompson

A prolific striker would be a god-send

Collins needs a goal to get that monkey off his back

Every f****** game this season is going to be someone’s ‘cup final’, there will be no easy games ?

Maybe Sibley should be able to score then ! 
Why can’t he score at this level !

Edited by Curtains

19 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Oduroh (pre defensive zone 7)plays a one-two with Mendez-Laing (pre defensive zone 6) who then advances into zones 11 and 16, he crosses from zone 16, Barkhuizen has anticipated the cross from zone 16 and advanced from zones 14, 19a & 19b to head in the winner from zone 18b

You know it makes sense……………..the way forward for match day threads! ?

spacer.png

In the early days of BBC commentary they used something similar - published a diagram in the Radio Times and during the commentary somebody next to the commentator would shout out the number of the square that the ball was in.

might be a useful job for Lineker

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Maybe Sibley should be able to score then ! 
Why can’t he score at this level !

Over the three games we've had this season, he's played 128 minutes. Why is he held to a much higher accountability than any other player in the squad? 

He makes things happen. We've played Smith in the role where (for me) Sibley should be playing and he's registered a fraction of the impact that Sibley has in a more significant amount of time. Sibley needs to afforded game time, he needs to be able to have bad games without the fret of being benched, perhaps then he won't have to feel he has to do so much in order to keep his place. 

In terms of talent, pure talent, and impact a player could have on our season - no one comes remotely close to Sibley. It's honestly my biggest frustration. The biggest myth is that he doesn't do the defensive side of the game when he's never shirked a tackle in his life. 

I honestly don't get it. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Over the three games we've had this season, he's played 128 minutes. Why is he held to a much higher accountability than any other player in the squad? 

He makes things happen. We've played Smith in the role where (for me) Sibley should be playing and he's registered a fraction of the impact that Sibley has in a more significant amount of time. Sibley needs to afforded game time, he needs to be able to have bad games without the fret of being benched, perhaps then he won't have to feel he has to do so much in order to keep his place. 

In terms of talent, pure talent, and impact a player could have on our season - no one comes remotely close to Sibley. It's honestly my biggest frustration. The biggest myth is that he doesn't do the defensive side of the game when he's never shirked a tackle in his life. 

I honestly don't get it. 

I get he isn’t as good as people think 

55 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

I’ve seen a negative few comments on here but in my opinion, James Collins will score 20+ goals this season.  

Went to the game last night and thought it was very entertaining. Sibley and Cashin looked like they could play at a much higher level. However as for Collins , I don’t think he will get more than 10 goals this season unfortunately. It takes him far too long to line the ball up to shoot.

12 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Went to the game last night and thought it was very entertaining. Sibley and Cashin looked like they could play at a much higher level. However as for Collins , I don’t think he will get more than 10 goals this season unfortunately. It takes him far too long to line the ball up to shoot.

He seems to lack the instinct,at the moment,that allows the best strikers to score out of almost nothing...

However,that could and should radically change given game time and a touch of confidence once he's scored a couple.

He's not going to replace CM (well actually,he has, but you know what I mean) but I reckon we will see a more effective player once we get mcgoldrick back playing with him.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I honestly don't get it. 

Not shirking a tackle and doing the defensive side of the game are not the same thing. He has a specific skill set. The things he does well he does well but the things he does badly he does very badly. He doesn't read other teams runs and shows poor defemsive judgement. 

I'm not sure you could start him in a midfield 3, especially away from home. Like Knight he is a good player in search of a position. 

He is doing better this season. He has come on against tiring League One teams and started against a League Two team so I'd be amazed if he wasn't. 

In the two league game so far, this is how Sibley ranks per 90 minutes:
Tackles - 2nd (behind Dobbin)
Dribbled past - Joint 1st (never beaten)
Interceptions - 4th (behind Bird, Davies and Knight)
Fouls - Joint 1st (0 fouls committed)
Passes blocked - 3rd (behind Forsyth with1 block in 6 minutes of game time, and NML)

A big criticism from me in the past was him getting involved in games. An AM must get involved in play and he rarely did that. This season he has improved significantly - passing the ball more regularly than Hourihane and Smith, and only a little bit behind Bird.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Passes blocked - 3rd (behind Forsyth with1 block in 6 minutes of game time, and NML)

A big criticism from me in the past was him getting involved in games. An AM must get involved in play and he rarely did that. This season he has improved significantly - passing the ball more regularly than Hourihane and Smith, and only a little bit behind Bird.

Don’t get me wrong I like the lad and he should do well this season.  It’s the constant he has to play stuff I hate. 
He went off last night and Derby immediately scored the 2nd goal. 
We have lots of good players and they will get in the team on merit with this manager 

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He is listening it would seem and now can be trusted in a front four but not yet starting in a midfield three IMO