Matchday Thread - Mansfield Town v Derby County (09/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

Still very early days in terms of our rebuild. So many new players with so little experience of playing together as a team.

I think under these circumstances they did really well tonight. We are still very much finding our feet and feeling our way.

I think we will do well this season.

Edited by Miggins

Really enjoyed Martin Fisher and Jamie Ward on RD commentary - both very intelligent and entertaining football analysts / commentators. Jamie Ward clearly keeps tabs on Derby and is up with all the fans opinions & talking points. Great analysis of Louie Sibley & advocating Sibbo to start  V Barnsley. 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Really enjoyed Martin Fisher and Jamie Ward on RD commentary - both very intelligent and entertaining football analysts / commentators. Jamie Ward clearly keeps tabs on Derby and is up with all the fans opinions & talking points. Great analysis of Louie Sibley & advocating Sibbo to start  V Barnsley. 

Sibley absolutely needs to start right now. We will see how things change with Didzy, but until then, we need him stretching defenders and helping Collins. I have nothing against Smith, Hourihane or Bird, as they’re all good players but they’re all a bit of the same to a certain extent and don’t provide much thrust or penetration. 

Yeah. They’re good. Where’s Ed Dawes?

Not heard of Martin Fisher before. Where’s he from?

also, rams player app working again. Managed to download as it had disappeared over the last few days 

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I always enjoy it when Jamie Ward is on, I liked him as a player and I like him as a pundit.

I'm not a big fan of the current arrangement of interchangeable Co-commentators. I'd much prefer having Jamie Ward or Adam Boulder on every game

Just now, Stripperg-ram said:

also, rams player app working again. Managed to download as it had disappeared over the last few days 

He actually lives in West Bridgford ...home of the Red Dogs BUT I also know he's a South Stand STH at Derby. He did say "we" and "our" a couple of times. Famously did the 10 men commentary  on BBC TV so has a chemistry with Jamie Ward.  Also commentator on MOTD. 

2 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Martin Fisher is a Rams fan and MOTD commentator.  Really enjoyed listening to both of them.

8 minutes ago, jono said:

So he’s had 3 games. All with players he’s never played with before, in, effectively a new team and he was a late joiner at that.

He has hit the post, had a shot cleared off the line, had a goalie pull a worldie, Tonight he scored but was had it ruled out for off side and then when clear on goal got pulled down. Meanwhile our results are :

Played 3 won 2 

Are you a supporter or do you fancy yourself as a pundit on Radio Snottingham ?

Good points. 

From what I saw Saturday, the lack of success looked largely due to unfamiliarity. A number of attacks broke down when a pass went in a different direction to the run. 

We need to keep working on our patterns and getting more attacking players closer to the ball. 

Collins is ploughing a lone furrow a lot of the time. 

So, in summary, 3 games in.

Won 1 - just - hard fought.

Lost 1 - one of those games where we mostly panned them then got sucker-punched.

Won another, cup game. Another hard fought, but class prevailed.

For saying we barely had a club, let alone a team a month ago, I'll take that thank you very much.

Loving football for football's sake, not money's sake.

I'm loving our club's big reset. It's a bit Roy of the Rovers stuff. Jumpers for goalposts anyone? ?

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

Sibley absolutely needs to start right now. We will see how things change with Didzy, but until then, we need him stretching defenders and helping Collins. I have nothing against Smith, Hourihane or Bird, as they’re all good players but they’re all a bit of the same to a certain extent and don’t provide much thrust or penetration. 

Agreed. Need to get Knight back in central midfield as well

He actually lives in West Bridgford ...home of the Red Dogs BUT I also know he's a South Stand STH at Derby. He did say "we" and "our" a couple of times. Famously did the 10 men commentary  on BBC TV so has a chemistry with Jamie Ward.  Also commentator on MOTD. 

Went to John Port in Etwall same class as my younger Bro 

No idea how we played, not overly concerned really, as at this stage of the season winning is great, but getting competitive minutes under the belt is just as important. Never easy games are League Cup games against a lower league outfit, especially one managed by a wily competitor. To progress is good, and nice to see we did it with a lot of youth - Odurah, Rooney, Thompson, Cashin, Dobbin and Sibley.  Up the Rams.

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I only caught the last 15 minutes but it was a pleasure to listen to calm balanced, informative commentary for a change. I agree Jamie award was also excellent.

2 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

So, in summary, 3 games in.

Won 1 - just - hard fought.

Lost 1 - one of those games where we mostly panned them then got sucker-punched.

Won another, cup game. Another hard fought, but class prevailed.

For saying we barely had a club, let alone a team a month ago, I'll take that thank you very much.

Loving football for football's sake, not money's sake.

I'm loving our club's big reset. It's a bit Roy of the Rovers stuff. Jumpers for goalposts anyone? ?

I'm always happy when the new footy season starts, that and the fact we have a club to support this season. Its great ?

18 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

It's good to see that the vast majority of people on here understand football. In my opinion Collins WILL get goals for Derby and WILL create goals for others, without a doubt.

I think that anybody who is prepared to write off a centre forward because he hasn't scored for three games is either on a wind up or needs an alternative hobby other than watching football.

Agree 100% with this.The man has played 2 and a bit games and been unlucky not to score.The way this has been commented on anyone would think he hasn't scored for 10 games.The whole debate is bloody ridiculous.