Matchday Thread - Derby County v Oxford United (30/07 15:00)

Sean

15 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Does anyone know how many tickets have been purchased? I keep hearing about a full house but can't see it. If that's the case then the support must be one of the best in the country. 

I'm sure it will be one of, if not the most attended game across the EFL this weekend. 

13 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

There’s any even bigger issue, that I suspect many fans have yet to realise the true magnitude of…

WhoScored detailed match stats only go down to the championship, so we’re out of scope this season ?. How will we argue about who’s the better winger when we can’t compare their average crosses per minute played? How will we know who’s the best midfielder when we can’t cross reference their pass completion stats to their key passes per 90 minutes? We might have to actually watch the games ?

We’ve already decided Sean Robertson is the new Pele based on one game against Alfreton ?

We didn’t even need stats for that!

Only one sleep before it starts. Like a kid at Christmas I can't wait. The walk to the ground after a couple of shandies,the smell of the burger vans,the mingling of the crowd,the buzz of excitement. Walking through the turnstiles,up the stairs,the loud hum getting louder, up more steps and you are there. The noise of the crowd getting louder through the music, the expectation of what the season holds. The 'We are Derby' poem belted out, the roar when the teams come out. This is football. This is what I love. The season starts tomorrow at 3pm. I CANNOT WAIT! UTR!

55 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

More Sky TV EFL games for September were announced today. All championship, no league one or two. 

I guess this is the reality of playing in League one, little to no TV coverage.

But many match going fans will be happy as kickoff times won't be moved. 

I'm so happy with the regular 3 pm Saturday kick-off times.

The lack of Sky coverage won't hurt me personally as I am usually at the games. However, the lack of income will hurt the club. I wonder how much of this they might make back by increased take up of Rams TV and quick trips over to the continent? ?

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I'm so happy with the regular 3 pm Saturday kick-off times.

The lack of Sky coverage won't hurt me personally as I am usually at the games. However, the lack of income will hurt the club. I wonder how much of this they might make back by increased take up of Rams TV and quick trips over to the continent? ?

Bolton made 500k last season from streaming, and the article I read reckoned we'd top a million. 

The Accrington chairman makes many fair points about streaming, especially now the revenue isn't split between home and away teams, but for us it could be a major plus. 

It used to be that on away streams, the hosting side got everything up to a certain cut off point, which may have been 500, then the away team would benefit from any further customers, but now whichever team sells the stream keeps the cash. 

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2022/july/accrington-chairman-andy-holt-wants-to-leave-efl-s-ifollow-streaming-service

https://theathletic.com/3423113/2022/07/18/efl-ifollow-streaming-tv?source=user-shared-article

Sorry to link The Athletic, but this is the piece with Boltons 500k, also mentions Ipswich pulling in 750k.

Edited by Rev
Added link.

So excited for tomorrow. I know I will feel really emotional walking out into the stadium for the first time this season. At times really thought wouldnt get to do that again when CK bid died. So I'll be the emotional one hiding in the biggest sunglasses i can find looking at the pitch with a huge smile on my face in west upper

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

There’s any even bigger issue, that I suspect many fans have yet to realise the true magnitude of…

WhoScored detailed match stats only go down to the championship, so we’re out of scope this season ?. How will we argue about who’s the better winger when we can’t compare their average crosses per minute played? How will we know who’s the best midfielder when we can’t cross reference their pass completion stats to their key passes per 90 minutes? We might have to actually watch the games ?

Clearly the only solution is to nominate a brave soul from the forum to document it all for us. 

How else will we be able to talk about anything ?

Expect a 4231 tomorrow - 

GK - Wildsmith

RB - Knight

CB - Chester

CB - Davies (C)

LB - Roberts

CDM - Smith

CDM - Bird

RW - NML

CAM - Hourihane

LW - Barkhuizen

ST - Collins

Subs - Loach Oduroh Stearman Forsyth Thompson Sibley Stretton

Not much attacking wise on the bench. Would be concerned how Knight does at RB if they put Wildschut up against him as he has pace to burn.

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

I half wonder if we might end up with something like Roberts playing when Davies and Chester do (because we want a quicker fullback to be able to cover in behind those 2), but Forsyth plays when Cashin is in there (because Cashin is a bit more mobile than the other 2, but we'd like an experienced head on both sides of him).

I actually think its got more to do with how we want to set up tactically on the ball more than anything. 

Roberts, Bird and Knight having been making a line of 3 when we have the ball for the most part. With Knight and Roberts tucking in. And they a primarily responsible with starting the play. 

Roberts seems very good and comfortable at doing this. Where as frankly Fozzy wouldn't be.

So when Fozzy has played we've tended to do something a bit different and basically pushed him high,  wide and frankly out of the way. Typically another midfielder comes and plays that role then, with the left winger also tucking in field (as opposed to staying very wide). It's why I think Fozzy and Sibley have often been tried as a pair on the left. 

Either way I think that's firmly a plan B (especially as it hasn't particularly looked functional so far) and has been devised mostly with the recognition that are squad has players that don't quite fit plan A past the first team.

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Expect a 4231 tomorrow - 

GK - Wildsmith

RB - Knight

CB - Chester

CB - Davies (C)

LB - Roberts

CDM - Smith

CDM - Bird

RW - NML

CAM - Hourihane

LW - Barkhuizen

ST - Collins

Subs - Loach Oduroh Stearman Forsyth Thompson Sibley Stretton

Not much attacking wise on the bench. Would be concerned how Knight does at RB if they put Wildschut up against him as he has pace to burn.

Wot no Cahsin?