Matchday Thread - Derby County v Oxford United (30/07 15:00)

Sean

7 minutes ago, jono said:

My wife used to work in Leicester, about 4 floors up in an office block. Across the road there was a massage parlour called Palm Springs. I don’t think you mean that one though ?

No wonder you were always 30 minutes early picking her up from work. ? 

As expected, Knight at RB with Bird and Smith sitting behind Hourihane.

A bit defensive in midfield for my liking, but hopefully Bird gets a bit of freedom to find passes to hurt Oxford, with the presence of Smith to hold the defensive side of things.

Bit of a waste of Knights talents, but here we are and it’s been that way for a year or so.

Edited by Ramarena

ATB for the game.  Rubbish league.  Don’t do a Coventry and spend a few seasons in L1 then drop further.  

This will not happen of course. The Rams need a bit of luck in appointing good managers. None of us know what the next 46 games will throw up, but at least there are 4 weeks to bring in some more players and offload anyone who isn’t behind the team.   

There are some big clubs in L1. Shame…

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Bit like the Yeovil game a few years ago. Where are you in Cornwall?

Well, we never do things in a straightforward way, do we? It has all the hallmarks of that kind of game.

We live in a small village called Altarnun just off the A30 after Launceston. 

A long way from home!

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

As expected, Knight at RB with Bird and Smith sitting behind Hourihane.

A bit defensive in midfield for my liking, but hopefully Bird gets a bit of freedom to find passes to hurt Oxford, with the presence of Smith to hold the defensive side of things.

Bit of a waste of Knights talents, but here we are and it’s been that way for a year or so.

I suspect it might be more a 433 with Bird in the middle. It's what we switched to after about 15-20 minutes against Leicester.

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

When Knight was switched to midfield 2nd half v Leicester we were suddenly controlling the game & scored. Just sayin’ ?‍♂️

Oh I agree completely.

I'm not keen on a Bird, Hourihane, Smith midfield if I'm honest. Neither Smith nor Hourihane were doing enough to get into space, get on the ball and link things up. Smith being particularly culpable combined with often playing the way he was facing a fair bit. 

Knight moves into midfield and suddenly his movement starts to create space and we find it easier to control the game and progress the ball. Well at least until Forsyth and Sibley came on and things got a bit disrupted.

17 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Well, we never do things in a straightforward way, do we? It has all the hallmarks of that kind of game.

We live in a small village called Altarnun just off the A30 after Launceston. 

A long way from home!

I grew up in St Austell, lovely county ?