Matchday Thread: 19/7/22Stevenage (a) 19:30ko.

ollycutts1982

Even though this is only a friendly, some things never change - the pattern and style we play stinks really - we piss about keeping possession at the back, passing side to side in our own half. Then when we eventually pass the ball forward, it’s usually a poor pass, we lose possession and straight away we are under pressure with teams bearing down on us. 
Let’s be honest, we can’t keep playing in this way - if hasn’t worked for for us ever, so why do we persist in trying to play this way ? 
if tonight’s match was about simply improving our fitness levels, then it didn’t - tippi tappi football never got anyone fit - they’d have been better spending the evening running round Allestree Golf Course like the squad used to do in the good old days !! 

Edited by Keepyuppy

8 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

My grandkids are at school in Singapore, Eddie.

Do they teach grumpy there or was you self taught?

?

Not really grumpy - I just inhabit a higher plane.

Imagine a 3-dimensional object - say a sphere - passing through 2-dimensional 'Flatland'. A 'Flatty' would first of all perceive a dot, which over time broadens into a circle, and which then shrinks to a dot before disappearing.

I'm the 3-dimensional object. You see me, but cannot see all of me - and what you see changes over time.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Imagine a 3-dimensional object - say a sphere - passing through 2-dimensional 'Flatland'. A 'Flatty' would first of all perceive a dot, which over time broadens into a circle, and which then shrinks to a dot before disappearing.

I'm the 3-dimensional object. You see me, but cannot see all of me - and what you see changes over time.

You are David Icke and I claim my £5.

0A606B84-D1ED-4A82-AE61-AF085252B150.jpeg

14 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Obviously you don’t want to read too much into preseason games, but the slightly concerning thing is that we’re carrying on last seasons pattern of playing well against footballing teams (Hertha Berlin), and struggling against teams that try to stop us playing (today). And in League one, there are going to be significantly more teams trying to stop us than trying to outplay us.

Very good point. Hopefully the manager is well aware of the challenge ahead. 

11 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Does Liam really need to play players out of their preferred position to learn that they play better in, er, their preferred position? 

Maybe I suppose you could make a case for the young unknown 20 year old. But hourihane is well into his 30s and is not known for playing the qb role. 

He's mostly played as one of two DMs since he joined Villa.

Absolutely needed tonight’s defeat in the heat to restore perspective. Let’s keep things in balance; we have recruited well. It will take time to gel. Teams will want to beat us. We have to learn how to deal with it. Flat performances happen pre-season as the lactic acid kicks in. We are playing catch-up fitness wise. Keep the positivity. All is well; flat performance. 

10 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

Even though this is only a friendly, some things never change - the pattern and style we play stinks really - we piss about keeping possession at the back, passing side to side in our own half. Then when we eventually pass the ball forward, it’s usually a poor pass, we lose possession and straight away we are under pressure with teams bearing down on us. 
Let’s be honest, we can’t keep playing in this way - if hasn’t worked for for us ever, so why do we persist in trying to play this way ? 
if tonight’s match was about simply improving our fitness levels, then it didn’t - tippi tappi football never got anyone fit - they’d have been better spending the evening running round Allestree Golf Course like the squad used to do in the good old days !! 

Not bothered about tonight really but I think you are absolutely spot on here.

We won 3 out of 23 away games last season. How we were set up Way clearly didn't work yet we just carried on playing the same way.

We can't seem to play against teams that press us. There's a time and a place to playing out from the back. 

I didn't get chance to watch it, but after two good friendlies then it's not surprising we eventually come unstuck. 

A good little reality check. I think the Leicester game will give us a little more insight and I think the preparation as we continue through this week will be focused on getting us ready for day one against Oxford - a team expected to be up there at the end of the season! 

Nothing to be concerned about, plenty of time to work and get ready for the start of the season. 

OK, not a great result or performance but I think we needed tonight for a number of reasons.

Firstly, the ground, the tight pitch & the opposition press - tonight was exactly what we're going to experience away at Accrington, Fleetwood, Cheltenham, Morecambe et al & was a more realistic taster after 2 games where we've had a lot of space & time to play. Secondly, whilst the heat can't have been enjoyable to play in - it was a great accelerator of fitness ahead of our opening game 11 days away. Lastly, it probably just takes the wind out of expectations that we're going to cruise this division (in fairness more Twitter than this forum).

To the game - as others have mentioned, the set up in front of the back 4 wasn't right at all & consequently we struggled to get any meaningful quality into the front men or moves started. Sibley isn't a LW (although didn't exactly shine at number 10 in second half) nor do I believe Hourihane should be playing that deep. We missed Bird first half & believe either he or Korey Smith will be essential to provide us with that platform to play this season. The overall accuracy of our passing was pretty ordinary too, even in the second half & quite disappointing given the heat would have allowed us to run Stevenage ragged.

Positives - thought Wildsmith looked at his most assured so far this pre-season & clear that Roberts is going to develop into a really useful player for us. Diallo looked quite bright in his second half cameo, pace & one very good cross - would like to see more of him.

Onto the bindippers & their Cup Final on Saturday. Be nice to put in a strong display to round off pre-season. COYR

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

are you drunk season 5 GIF by PBS

I'm guessing the lads have travelled down today - if so, that's one hell of a day before they even start. 

At no point did we have our strongest 11 on the field. If we did, I can understand the worry from some.

It was a friendly where the manager is trying to find the final piece to his jigsaw, not the first league game that we've just dropped 3 points. 

But, if some want to moan, let them.