Chants

Lander

Prioritising chants about the misfortune of others, over ones that support to revival of the club just doesn’t sit right for me.

Chants at Bradford about Birmingham City’s struggles that we’ve literally just come out of , & Collimore. Boring.

Chants today about German Bombers, Collimore and turning what should’ve been a friendly atmosphere into all but that. Boring.

Just a mini rant I guess, but every single time these chants occur I can’t help but cringe inside. I get we want to create hostile environments but can we focus on doing that by supporting our own team with incredible volume before we sing these pointless songs that aren’t going to motivate anyone.

On a positive note, we’re looking good already.

Some of the best chants are "banter".  Original, witty, off-the-cuff, and usually in direct response to something the oppo fans have just sang.  Often good enough to even make them laugh/smile too!

Problem is, some fans don't know where the banter stops, and offense starts.  There will always be a line, and some will always cross it. 
I guess all we can do is carry on cringing, refuse to join in, and keep them to a minimum... or start a more positive song/chant in direct competition, and hope more join you than them!

Even Blackpool fans had a sly dig (though NOT offensive, I hasten to add), with their "Jump around if you're staying up" whilst clearly goading/laughing AT us.  That could have easily resulted in tit-for-tat, but on this occasion, our response was perfect in everyway, so much so that the Blackpool fans smiled, joined in the banter, laughed WITH us, jumped around with us, and the party atmosphere was soon in full flow!  Now we're best mates!  

8 hours ago, Lander said:

I thought about this, but I still don’t feel comfortable with it. We don’t need to stoop down to their level.

No problem with songs about Birmingham. It’s just banter. The same when they sang about their party when we go bust. The Collymore song is a bit past it’s sell by date and should be dropped but it doesn’t really bother me. The bomber song is poor taste and refers to events so long ago it shouldn’t be used. 

My view?

World events of the past few years have demonstrated how much hatred and disrespect for others there is.

Football events from the past couple of years has shown how devastating it can be when the club you love is in danger.

Now that things have settled a little at least on the footballing front, it’s time to reflect on what’s really important.

Surely that’s enjoying our team not hating teams that play against us?

I don’t mind ‘Is this a library?’ and similar taunts to prompt a response but sheer hatred has no place in a football ground or anywhere else.

Football is entertainment. Be entertained, not hateful.

25 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I don't want Birmingham to go bust but I am enjoying their suffering and hope they suffer a whole lot more, like we have.

Spending my whole life surrounded by 'Bluenoses', I can tell you that Blues fans have spent their whole lives 'suffering'. Generally speaking, I find them to be self depreciating, constantly living in the shadow of their neighbours, who constantly harp on about a european cup win over 40 years ago.

50 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

My view?

World events of the past few years have demonstrated how much hatred and disrespect for others there is.

Football events from the past couple of years has shown how devastating it can be when the club you love is in danger.

Now that things have settled a little at least on the footballing front, it’s time to reflect on what’s really important.

Surely that’s enjoying our team not hating teams that play against us?

I don’t mind ‘Is this a library?’ and similar taunts to prompt a response but sheer hatred has no place in a football ground or anywhere else.

Football is entertainment. Be entertained, not hateful.

I think you’re over reacting a tad to what, in the most part, is just banter. The vast majority of fans didn’t really want to party if we went bust (IMO) and probably a good number of us don’t really hate Forest even if we do sit down or stand up as appropriate. Whilst there are clearly some distasteful ones that should be dropped most are, as I say, nothing more than banter that shouldn’t be taken seriously at all. I really don’t think the songs and chants really reflect “sheer hatred” (except for a few morons of course).

I don't sing them all but I have no problems with any of them.

If anyone takes offence at a football match and rattled them, the original fans chanting have been successfull ? I don't take too seriously what's sang in the moment, most fans are reasonable and don't wish death to another club, its just a way of winding you up and getting one up on you. 

My exception to this is personal insults where its unwarranted eg Billy Sharp, the bomber song to German fans. 

4 hours ago, Electric Ram said:

The German bomber song makes me shudder with embarrassment don't these idiots chanting this realise the war ended 77 years ago. 

Yes it sure did, Someone should have told the French Police when they were CS gassing Liverpool fans in May, They just can't forget Agincourt ?

I will join in with or start songs that I'm happy to sing and I won't sing songs I don't like. 

I will have a pop at people occasionally who start songs that I think are over the top or really offensive.

But what I won't do is sit tapping on a keyboard calling people "morons" or other names when I sit tutting in the stands and not have the nuts to say it to their face.

As I said on the other thread, we are no better or worse than anyone else, and if that offends some of our holier than thou fans,  tough.