Chants

Lander

On 16/07/2022 at 23:01, Andicis said:

Birmingham fans were happily chanting about us dying again today. I think it's fair game to chant back at them, personally. 

Exactly this. It is a time honoured ritual and part of being a fans of opposing teams prior to the battle on the pitch. 

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The German bomber song is pathetic. I'd personally never join in with it. It kills the atmosphere of getting behind your club and players in my opinion. Its not supportive of DCFC, its not funny and its a fecking miserable dirge.

The only thing you can do is not join in and moan about it to those around you and hope it dies down quickly.

Why is it pathetic? 

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The German bomber song is pathetic. I'd personally never join in with it. It kills the atmosphere of getting behind your club and players in my opinion. Its not supportive of DCFC, its not funny and its a fecking miserable dirge.

The only thing you can do is not join in and moan about it to those around you and hope it dies down quickly.

3 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Why is it pathetic? 

Doesn’t the bit in bold answer that for you?

2 hours ago, jono said:

Exactly this. It is a time honoured ritual and part of being a fans of opposing teams prior to the battle on the pitch. 

I don’t think in the 50s and 60s you’d have heard anything like the Billy Sharp chants, or chants insulting players’ wives. And anyway, there are a few time honoured rituals that have rightly fallen out of favour. 

I think the club should take a stronger stance against offensive chants. Not least because last season showed us what an impact positive support has on the pitch 

Just now, Redshaw_Ram said:

This idea that you can only criticise inappropriate chanting if you're 'brave' (read: stupid) enough to challenge a drunk Neanderthal in the heat of the moment during a football match while it's happening is boneheaded.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Redshaw_Ram said:

This idea that you can only criticise inappropriate chanting if you're 'brave' (read: stupid) enough to challenge a drunk Neanderthal in the heat of the moment during a football match while it's happening is boneheaded.

Don't forget "possibly off their tits on Charlie".

The idea that someone criticising the behaviour of other, non-specific, individuals or groups, on an internet forum wouldn't have the front to say it to their faces is a bit presumptuous anyway. 

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I don’t think in the 50s and 60s you’d have heard anything like the Billy Sharp chants, or chants insulting players’ wives. And anyway, there are a few time honoured rituals that have rightly fallen out of favour. 

I think the club should take a stronger stance against offensive chants. Not least because last season showed us what an impact positive support has on the pitch 

It’s not an easy one. I’m all for a certain sort of offensive goading chants .. but some, as you suggest, go beyond and break certain moral rules in my book. When they are grossly personal or as we have mentioned before race/faith/child abuse/disabilities. 

The difficult thing is who writes the rules ? Who defines what is offensive. Will all references to someone being a self abuser be disapproved of ? Will the work Duck be banned ? How does one signify disapproval of a serial diver or injury faker “I say old boy, it can’t be that bad, play the game” ? 

It is a battle and insults (within bounds) are to my mind essential. Sport has forever been a way to stop people going to war for real. The catharsis of a match in a pulsing stadium satisfies our lizard brains and keeps worse things at bay. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, curb said:

I quite like this one, stolen from Luke Bowden on Twitter:

Going on up to the spirit in the sky

Gonna see Cloughie, and Dave Mackay

Gonna reminisce and have some fun

About the 2 league titles that we won

Man Utd fans sang this tune , the last time they came to P P. All about Georgie Best and it went on for a full 20 minutes not letting rams fans start any kind of chant. Good this week to see Liam get some support from the terraces.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has the person making up these new chants got a small wang or something? 

Thats 2 songs now that involve a massive one.

They’re good songs on the whole but couldn’t they quite easily have been something slightly better lyrically, the Erin Cashin one could simply be he’s got a massive head? Explaining to kids what c*#ks and wangs are is becoming tedious.

Having said that, the Mendez Laing one sounds great in the stands and contributed to a great atmosphere yesterday. 

1 minute ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Has the person making up these new chants got a small wang or something? 

Thats 2 songs now that involve a massive one.

They’re good songs on the whole but couldn’t they quite easily have been something slightly better lyrically, the Erin Cashin one could simply be he’s got a massive head? Explaining to kids what c*#ks and wangs are is becoming tedious.

Having said that, the Mendez Laing one sounds great in the stands and contributed to a great atmosphere yesterday. 

The Cashin one started with calves, which makes much more sense (assuming the majority of men singing his chant don't have actual knowledge of the other!)