James Collins - Signed for 2 years

Ambitious

8 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

Obviously both will have a massive role but McGoldrick vs Collins who is our first choice CF on paper?

McGoldrick isn’t a proper striker really. He’s more of a second striker and his game is linking the play more than anything. He’s never been a goal scorer. 

6 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

He has had some prolific seasons for Ipswich in the past (some at L1 level). Not recently I agree though.

Chris Martin hadn't really scored that many when he signed for us either, just one good season for Norwich in League 1.  That type of link-up striker, that don't really create their own chances, can be very dependant on style of play and the players around them - get them in the right system and they'll score plenty.

Spoke to a Sheff Utd ST holder yesterday. He said we will adore McGoldrick. His attitude, work rate and desire, breaking up the play and fighting his heart out throughout the whole game just made his that much of a fans favourte. Agreed that he won't score that many, and will miss some easy chances, and therefore also agreed we need someone to regularly put the ball in the net but McGoldrick will be a big hit.

Also said even last season, he was fitter than most 20-somethings in the team line up.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Spoke to a Sheff Utd ST holder yesterday. He said we will adore McGoldrick. His attitude, work rate and desire, breaking up the play and fighting his heart out throughout the whole game just made his that much of a fans favourte. Agreed that he won't score that many, and will miss some easy chances, and therefore also agreed we need someone to regularly put the ball in the net but McGoldrick will be a big hit.

Also said even last season, he was fitter than most 20-somethings in the team line up.

He will tee quite a few up for others.

If we get Collins, I can see him and Barkhuisen scoring a lot.

I’m hoping Sibley and Stretton add to that but it is hope rather than expectation.

17 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He will tee quite a few up for others.

If we get Collins, I can see him and Barkhuisen scoring a lot.

I’m hoping Sibley and Stretton add to that but it is hope rather than expectation.

Maybe we could adopt the old Jim Smith style of attack when Ron Willems sat behind Gabbiadini & Sturridge - that attack was devastating in our promotion season .

For today, switch McGoldrick sitting behind a more central Barkhuizen & James Collins

47 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

He has had some prolific seasons for Ipswich in the past (some at L1 level). Not recently I agree though.

Wouldn't say he was prolific at Ipswich - one season with 14 then a next best of 7, but nevertheless a useful acquisition providing we have a goalscorer playing alongside him and at League One level Collins might well fit the bill

I do wonder, and especially considering the shape of the sides in the game against Bradford, whether Rosenior might be looking at a 4-4-2 system this season. 

Or perhaps something a little more akin to the 4-4-2 that Harry Redknapp used at Spurs, where the two contains a 9 (Crouch) and a 10 (Van Der Vaart) who feeds off him and links with the midfield.

That duo for us might be Collins as the 9, with McGoldrick linking to the attack. Sibley may also come into that role. TB and NML as your two wide players, with Hourihane and Stephens in midfield. And into that the possibility of Bird, Knight, etc. 

Not bad!

22 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Maybe we could adopt the old Jim Smith style of attack when Ron Willems sat behind Gabbiadini & Sturridge - that attack was devastating in our promotion season .

For today, switch McGoldrick sitting behind a more central Barkhuizen & James Collins

Isn't it lovely to have a squad with different options not just in the first eleven but in the formation and everything. It's so refreshing to see a balanced squad with options to have several different match plans that wouldn't look out of place being the main plan, not just shoehorning players left and right for the sake of it.

5 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Isn't it lovely to have a squad with different options not just in the first eleven but in the formation and everything. It's so refreshing to see a balanced squad with options to have several different match plans that wouldn't look out of place being the main plan, not just shoehorning players left and right for the sake of it.

I agree mate. Seems we are actually signing players for roles that they’re good at. But just signing someone off a purple patch and shoe horning them in out of position. Well done to LR and the team

1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

I agree mate. Seems we are actually signing players for roles that they’re good at. But just signing someone off a purple patch and shoe horning them in out of position. Well done to LR and the team

The obvious one is Vydra, buy him for big money then immediately push him on the wing, he flops. We start playing him as a striker down the middle and he's top scorer with 20 odd. I'm surprised we didn't buy a goalkeeper then play him left back.

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

That first season under Jim was outstanding and that game against Palace at the Baseball Ground to seal promotion was fantastic. A pacy striker like Sturridge being fed by Mcgoldrick would fit the bill

6 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

The obvious one is Vydra, buy him for big money then immediately push him on the wing, he flops. We start playing him as a striker down the middle and he's top scorer with 20 odd. I'm surprised we didn't buy a goalkeeper then play him left back.

Pearson bought Vydra for his 442, playing alongside Wilson with Bent as 3rd CF. Only for Wilson to last just a couple of games before injury, then Pearson only last a couple more games after that. Then we shifted to 433.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Excellent news, hopefully we can get this one wrapped up tomorrow. That will sort out the ST position Imo.

Cybulski and Stretton won't cut it , which only leaves Collins who will be 32 in a few months and mcoldrick who will 35 in a few months , 46 league games plus early round starts in the fa Cup etc and the johnstones paint trophy cup so we are looking around 55 games , no way I'd be comfortable without someone between 20 and 30 that's not injury prone joining on top of Collins ,  that would be madness mate

5 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Cybulski and Stretton won't cut it , which only leaves Collins who will be 32 in a few months and mcoldrick who will 35 in a few months , 46 league games plus early round starts in the fa Cup etc and the johnstones paint trophy cup so we are looking around 55 games , no way I'd be comfortable without someone between 20 and 30 that's not injury prone joining on top of Collins ,  that would be madness mate

I don’t think injury in football is just an age thing…Curtis played virtually every minute last season and Bielik not a lot….just bring in another striker regardless of age….