James Collins - Signed for 2 years

Ambitious

Good signing at this level if it happens.  With McGoldrick I’d let CKR go and use Stretton and Cybulski as the other 2 strikers. With the amount of games we have we’ll need 4 strikers.  Maybe let Cybulski go on loan to L2 and loan in a youngster from the Prem/Championship.

46 league games, Papa Johns trophy, which I think we should try and win, plus starting in the earlier rounds of the FA Cup and League Cup we could have going on for 55ish games next season.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

6 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Good signing at this level if it happens.  With McGoldrick I’d let CKR go and use Stretton and Cybulski as the other 2 strikers. With the amount of games we have we’ll need 4 strikers.  Maybe let Cybulski go on loan to L2 and loan in a youngster from the Prem/Championship.

46 league games, Papa Johns trophy, which I think we should try and win, plus starting in the earlier rounds of the FA Cup and League Cup we could have going on for 55ish games next season.

If funds allow I'd keep hold of CKR as he's big and muscular and not easily intimidated and would be useful being on the bench, Stretton and Cybulski are both young talents but league 1 is a very physical place if you let it be.

Adebayo Akinfenwa did an excellent job for WW not someone you'd want to mix it with

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

If funds allow I'd keep hold of CKR as he's big and muscular and not easily intimidated and would be useful being on the bench, Stretton and Cybulski are both young talents but league 1 is a very physical place if you let it be.

Adebayo Akinfenwa did an excellent job for WW not someone you'd want to mix it with

My only concern is his recent injury record.  We’re still on a budget so I’d be a bit concerned with 3 30+ strikers, especially if one struggles to stay fit. Stretton & Cybulski do need to show they can handle themselves with the big boys.

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen may well be two of the top 10 fastest players in the football league. I think that’s why they were recruited early. 

Honestly, i cant remember much of Barkhuizen other than hop smashing in that screamer against us a couple of yesrs ago.

FM have him down as 16 and 15 for acceleration and pace respectively. Mendez-Laing is the same. For some comparison, Festy is 15 and 18, Jozwiak 15 and 15, and that Sotona guy we were linked with is 18 and 18.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Honestly, i cant remember much of Barkhuizen other than hop smashing in that screamer against us a couple of yesrs ago.

FM have him down as 16 and 15 for acceleration and pace respectively. Mendez-Laing is the same. For some comparison, Festy is 15 and 18, Jozwiak 15 and 15, and that Sotona guy we were linked with is 18 and 18.

Barkhuizen I’ve always had done as a one dimensional player, sticks really wide to the touch line and gets his head down. He’s very quick, grafts.. again, a player who will never be faulted for his commitment. 

2 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

If we sign Collins I just don't see what CKR really gives you as an option when you've got Collins and McGoldrick. We are only likely to play 1 up top Collins and McGoldrick both can lead the line. Stretton and Cybulski competing for the 3rd spot leaves us in a decent position.

22 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

If we sign Collins I just don't see what CKR really gives you as an option when you've got Collins and McGoldrick. We are only likely to play 1 up top Collins and McGoldrick both can lead the line. Stretton and Cybulski competing for the 3rd spot leaves us in a decent position.

You could play Mcgoldrick behind the striker almost as a deep lying forward/attacking midfielder. He has played there often for Sheffield United and it suits his game now

6 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

You could play Mcgoldrick behind the striker almost as a deep lying forward/attacking midfielder. He has played there often for Sheffield United and it suits his game now

When he's done it's been more or less two up front. And even then that's always been with a pure poacher ahead of him. You'd want to pair him with someone of that ilk in that case; probably not Collins and definitely not CKR. The only person we have you'd want to do that for is likely Stretton.