James Collins - Signed for 2 years

Ambitious

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I don’t think injury in football is just an age thing…Curtis played virtually every minute last season and Bielik not a lot….just bring in another striker regardless of age….

When I say someone not injury prone I mean not someone like marriot who although he fits the age bracket I would be confident that he wouldn't stay fit all season 

4 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Cybulski and Stretton won't cut it , which only leaves Collins who will be 32 in a few months and mcoldrick who will 35 in a few months , 46 league games plus early round starts in the fa Cup etc and the johnstones paint trophy cup so we are looking around 55 games , no way I'd be comfortable without someone between 20 and 30 that's not injury prone joining on top of Collins ,  that would be madness mate

Both are close to breaking through in my opinion - not first team standard yet I agree, but capable of making the odd sub appearance, particularly in cup games against generally weaker opposition. You’ve got to leave a pathway to the first team somewhere, these players won’t break through if they’re not given the chance.

Key thing you’ve not mentioned is that Barkhuizen can also play up front. If we have injury issues, we can move him up front and play someone else on the wing. We of course need to sign some more wingers for that to be possible though. That’s where I’d rather we focus our recruitment - a couple more good quality wingers, ideally younger players as you say since most of our signings have been ageing. We’ve got room for some loans left so might be a good place to use them.

22 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Both are close to breaking through in my opinion - not first team standard yet I agree, but capable of making the odd sub appearance, particularly in cup games against generally weaker opposition. You’ve got to leave a pathway to the first team somewhere, these players won’t break through if they’re not given the chance.

There is an extra chance to give younger players a chance to play in the first team this season - the Papa John's Trophy.

11 minutes ago, 48 hours said:

There is an extra chance to give younger players a chance to play in the first team this season - the Papa John's Trophy.

That’s correct but isn’t there a stupid rule that makes you select 7 players from any previous game 

32 minutes ago, 48 hours said:

Indeed, we’re going to be playing even more games this season than before, so a lot of rotation will be required. Plenty of chance to give the whole squad games, include some of the U21s.

1 hour ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Cybulski and Stretton won't cut it , which only leaves Collins who will be 32 in a few months and mcoldrick who will 35 in a few months , 46 league games plus early round starts in the fa Cup etc and the johnstones paint trophy cup so we are looking around 55 games , no way I'd be comfortable without someone between 20 and 30 that's not injury prone joining on top of Collins ,  that would be madness mate

First off, welcome James. 

plenty of strikers who don’t t rely on purely pace carry on scoring  goals well in to their 30’s. So much of it is about nous, guile and positioning. Finishing helps too 

secondly .. you have no way of knowing if Stretton and Bart will cut it. They are at the very start of their careers. That’s such a sweeping statement. 

The bench mark for hero strikers is 1 in 2 .. Collins looks like a 1 in 3 man but he was much more prolific in League 1 with Luton.

I am going to wait and see before writing anyone off. 

3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Wow - nobody is turning us down. 

I had a small feeling that no players would touch us with what the club has been through. How wrong was I? 

Goes to show players want to play in front of a crowd who stick by their team. 

100%

I'm lucky enough to know a few people in the game (not derby players) and every single one of them has said the crowds relationship with players (ie booing and singling out players) has stopped them from joining other clubs in the past. Villa and wolves were the clubs in question. Why would they want to go there if it isn't their only option if they think the crowd will turn on them after 10 games. Toxic atmospheres are noted and remembered by players and managers.

As fans we need to try and carry on this relationship and keep building.

3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Wow - nobody is turning us down. 

I had a small feeling that no players would touch us with what the club has been through. How wrong was I? 

Goes to show players want to play in front of a crowd who stick by their team. 

That's thing though, we are through the other side to a large extent. 

So we are now a mostly stable big league 1 club,who can pay better than average, who are likely to have a promotion push, who a player who comes in will likely get game time and with a galvanised fan base from last year.

As league 1 clubs we are actually a good proposition right now.