Lee Gregory (again)

Fraser_23

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

And yet he got 18 goals in 42 league 1 appearances last season for a promotion winning side who were top for chunks of the season. 

Collins is on 13 from 29. 

I hope Smith is an improvement. I hope we get him in and he can do well but not at the risk of having to hand out a 3 year contract or anything silly 

Agree I’d want Smith on loan. I’d be equally as peed off he signed permanently. 

I guess all will be revealed but I’m hoping we can offload one to fund a midfielder as well (providing it’s not a 35 year old codger).

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

i get what you're saying but wheel and deal , sell Cashin and Bird if it means getting a few in that will matter, why is everyone so hung up on keeping our two academy products, would Brentford or Posh not sell and spend the money or reinvest etc ....Both of those players are not irreplaceable no one is in fact ...Bird could well be walking around PP at the end of the season waving goodbye when we could've used that money wisely, but here lies the problem for me...Warne does not seem to sign wisely so I'm with you , lets stay as we are and try and try and get up with what we have ................may well be in L1 though next season 

In the summer maybe. But now, Cashin in particular would be silly.

If we sold Cashin. The money would have to be reinvested in a centre half. Not on the areas of the pitch we need.

With Bird I honestly think we'll get more for him in compensation than any offers now. Makes no sense selling two if your regular starters half way through a season when you're going for promotion.

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

3 years ago and had a couple of injuries since then. Wednesday fans don't like him either and say his legs are gone.

Incredibly uninspiring. Warne specifically said we were looking abroad at players, yet come the end of the window we're looking at ANOTHER Wednesday player, over the age of 30 and on big money. 

What's the scouting department doing? Or is Warne ignoring them?

Looking at Thomas' signings for Oxford, there's absolutely no correlation.

That's like saying I'm looking to buy a Ferrari but at the moment I only have enough cash for a down payment on a Lada.

Still doesn't stop me looking at Ferraris though.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

That's like saying I'm looking to buy a Ferrari but at the moment I only have enough cash for a down payment on a Lada.

Still doesn't stop me looking at Ferraris though.

Well said. We will be looking abroad with a view to next season when we aren't under restrictions anymore.

We are under a business plan, working under restrictions following administration and people are moaning that we aren't signing players from abroad. I give up 

January is a tricky window.  Realistically any striker we’re looking to loan, as that’s all we can pay a small fee for unless we sell is going to look at Collins form with 18 goals and realise they’re 2nd choice, maybe lower than that once one of the others is fit.  That means there not going to be playing regular at their parent club.  If you’re that striker do you swap one bench for another?

Also, it makes getting a young PL loan tricky.  If you’re a PL club, do you loan your young striker to a club knowing he’s back up for the rest of the season?  Ideally you’ll want him playing around 75% of th3 time, may even stipulate it in the deal.

The summer is easier as it’s a clean slate and easier to cement your place.

Anyway, Gregory wouldn’t be a bad back up and will do a job, but I think I’d rather have Smith. 

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just because we're currently operating under a business plan doesn't mean we couldn't have signed players who would have played a greater role than the ones we did sign. A few free agents signed by L1 clubs which could have been alternatives to who we signed (and who they signed for):

Bradley: Pennington (Blackpool), Lopata (Barnsley), Jones (Charlton), Shaughnessy (Portsmouth), Poole (Portsmouth)
Elder: Sparkes (Portsmouth)
Ward: Dacres-Cogley (Bolton), Clark (Port Vale)
Fornah / Embleton: Morgan (Blackpool), Chislett (Port  Vale), Knibbs (Reading), Wing (Reading), Matt Smith (Wigan)
John-Jules / Washington / Waghorn: Martin (Bristol Rovers), Harris (Oxford), Rodrigues (Oxford), Smith (Reading)

Of the players listed, all are rated higher according to Whoscored than the players we signed, with the exception of Waghorn who is higher than Harris.

Knibbs, Wing and Smith were three I really wanted in the summer. Can't see how Reading would've been able to pay more than us?

Both Smith and Gregory are cast off’s from a team who are struggling like mad at the bottom of the championship. Big decisions are needed to be made in the summer if we are going down this route re recruitment.

You can see why the club are struggling this window. The summers budget was blown on Ward, Elder and Bradley, all of which have turned out to be disasters. It also didn’t help that we went into the season with a 3-5-2 which clearly didn’t suit the group. 

Who knows what the rest of the season will bring but we need a revaluation no matter what division we are in! 

Another proper underwhelming window. We're told we need to get a few in in January, but yet we're again about to start panic buying for the likes of Lee flipping Gregory. This is an all time low as a Derby Fan for me at 35. I appreciate our situation the last couple years but MY GOD. 

Trying to get the cast off rejects from bottom of the table Wednesday and even that's not guaranteed. What a fall from Grace.

I would honestly rather have Chris Martin back. Atleast we'd have the feelings of nostalgia with it, aswel as the slight chance of him rekindling his link up play for us.

Lee Flipping Gregory.

🙃🙃

3 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Another proper underwhelming window. We're told we need to get a few in in January, but yet we're again about to start panic buying for the likes of Lee flipping Gregory. This is an all time low as a Derby Fan for me at 35. I appreciate our situation the last couple years but MY GOD. 

Trying to get the cast off rejects from bottom of the table Wednesday and even that's not guaranteed. What a fall from Grace.

I would honestly rather have Chris Martin back. Atleast we'd have the feelings of nostalgia with it, aswel as the slight chance of him rekindling his link up play for us.

Lee Flipping Gregory.

🙃🙃

Agree..Smith, yes, Gregory no!

Chris Martin, yes...

Sack the recruitment manager, sack Warne...and bring back McClaren!

45 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Well said. We will be looking abroad with a view to next season when we aren't under restrictions anymore.

We are under a business plan, working under restrictions following administration and people are moaning that we aren't signing players from abroad. I give up 

People are moaning ...FTFY

17 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Lee Flipping Gregory.

🙃🙃

Bottom of the table Wednesday are still in the league above us.

If they had any decent players they would hardly be trying to punt them to a League 1 side without a couple of brass farthings to rub together. 

57 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Both Smith and Gregory are cast off’s from a team who are struggling like mad at the bottom of the championship. Big decisions are needed to be made in the summer if we are going down this route re recruitment.

You can see why the club are struggling this window. The summers budget was blown on Ward, Elder and Bradley, all of which have turned out to be disasters. It also didn’t help that we went into the season with a 3-5-2 which clearly didn’t suit the group. 

Who knows what the rest of the season will bring but we need a revaluation no matter what division we are in! 

Exactly this …why doesn’t anyone seem to recognise that we brought in so many duds in the summer when we are supposedly potless so every signing would be crucial don’t waste it on players that when fit still don’t get selected …so we end up with Ward RWB - not needed Elder - LWB - not needed there’s two places we could’ve spent more wisely players bought for a for a system that doesn’t work did we really need Vickers ? Not the players fault they don’t fit Ward must be thinking why was I signed ? Does Clowes now think he’s wasted a lot of his budget on non starters ? I would 

have a plan of how you want us to play with a couple of different formations get those players to play that who suit then get cover for those positions utilising the youth in academy when required 

1 hour ago, valakari said:

Agree..Smith, yes, Gregory no!

Chris Martin, yes...

Sack the recruitment manager, sack Warne...and bring back McClaren!

Is that Joe, the former head of recruitment...?

29 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Exactly this …why doesn’t anyone seem to recognise that we brought in so many duds in the summer when we are supposedly potless so every signing would be crucial don’t waste it on players that when fit still don’t get selected …so we end up with Ward RWB - not needed Elder - LWB - not needed there’s two places we could’ve spent more wisely players bought for a for a system that doesn’t work did we really need Vickers ? Not the players fault they don’t fit Ward must be thinking why was I signed ? Does Clowes now think he’s wasted a lot of his budget on non starters ? I would 

have a plan of how you want us to play with a couple of different formations get those players to play that who suit then get cover for those positions utilising the youth in academy when required 

People often suggested that during the run-in last season, we lost our way because we had a small squad that burnt out.

I think the thinking was that signing the likes of Vickers, Elder, Bradley, Ward, Washington and Waghorn would improve our depth and give us more options towards the end of the season.

It’s just unfortunate that four of them have spent significant time out with injuries and not had the desired impact.

The ones where the recruitment should be questioned is gambling on John Jules and Embleton who were both very clearly big risks in terms of picking up future injuries and swallowing up resources.