Lee Gregory (again)

Fraser_23

9 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Which he absolutely had to. We had nothing. Every single club will spend more of their budget in the summer

yeah that worked out well ..... only Nyambe, Nelson and to some extent Wilson, the rest are bench warmers and treatment table hoggers ....lets be honest his recruitment wasn't great and we still rely heavily on the players that were here before he arrived , really has stamped his mark on this team.....not!

13 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

How much do you think 

Well we didn't manage to attract a striker bar gambles on TJJ, Washy and Waggy so most of it gone before them? Now who knows, didn't Warne say he didn't want to offer more for Smith?

41 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Lee Gregory would be fine if there is nothing else we can get in. He's experienced, will be a handful and I'd fancy him to chip in with a few goals.

What annoys me is I am reading some fans on twitter using this as a stick to beat Warne with. "I'm worried about Warne and our transfer policy if this is what we're doing"

Do you think if we sat Paul Warne in a room he'd say that Lee Gregory was his number one target and one he has always wanted?

No he wouldn't. Ideally he'd want a 24-27 year old proven league one striker who's ready to go and good enough to step up to the championship but if there are any available then 1. They aren't going to be sold and 2. If they were, we can't afford them. At all.

It's like our fans have seen that we have next to nothing, had to dip into a loan pot for CBT and are just ignoring that. 

If Gregory comes in he'll get my support, he's a stop gap for the season. Gives us an option. Is he what I want? No. He's not. But he might be the best we can get given our budget.

I've seen people say they'll be livid if we sign Gregory and we should have kept Brown. Livid? If be more livid if we didn't bring someone in.

Brown is nowhere near ready yet. Thrusting a young player in early can ruin them. 

I remember when we got linked with Jordan Rhodes and people were kicking off then. He's second top goalscorer now.

But alas, it's all Warnes fault. Warnes fault we've got no money, Warnes fault our midfield is poor when half of them are out injured. 

i get what you're saying but wheel and deal , sell Cashin and Bird if it means getting a few in that will matter, why is everyone so hung up on keeping our two academy products, would Brentford or Posh not sell and spend the money or reinvest etc ....Both of those players are not irreplaceable no one is in fact ...Bird could well be walking around PP at the end of the season waving goodbye when we could've used that money wisely, but here lies the problem for me...Warne does not seem to sign wisely so I'm with you , lets stay as we are and try and try and get up with what we have ................may well be in L1 though next season 

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

i get what you're saying but wheel and deal , sell Cashin and Bird if it means getting a few in that will matter, why is everyone so hung up on keeping our two academy products, would Brentford or Posh not sell and spend the money or reinvest etc ....Both of those players are not irreplaceable no one is in fact ...Bird could well be walking around PP at the end of the season waving goodbye when we could've used that money wisely, but here lies the problem for me...Warne does not seem to sign wisely so I'm with you , lets stay as we are and try and try and get up with what we have ................may well be in L1 though next season 

I agree. I wouldn’t trust warne with a single penny of the club’s money

Gregory's use to us should be similar to the use Lampard had for Nugent. Handy backup as a 3rd choice CF when playing with just 1 up top. If we were signing him for that role, I would be happy with it. However, we need someone who will play a more important role at this moment in time.

38 minutes ago, S8TY said:

yeah that worked out well ..... only Nyambe, Nelson and to some extent Wilson, the rest are bench warmers and treatment table hoggers ....lets be honest his recruitment wasn't great and we still rely heavily on the players that were here before he arrived , really has stamped his mark on this team.....not!

What bit of "We are under an EFL-agreed business plan, which was a condition of us coming out of Administration" do you find so difficult to comprehend?

19 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Personally don't think it would be wise to sell bird or Cashin at this point in the season could backfire massively if we bought in a couple of duds or someone who picks up a season ending injury  

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well we didn't manage to attract a striker bar gambles on TJJ, Washy and Waggy so most of it gone before them? Now who knows, didn't Warne say he didn't want to offer more for Smith?

That the position our restrictions have put us in.

38 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Cashin is, not so worried about Bird.

2 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

He was solid two years ago. But personally and I might only be speaking for myself here, I was hoping for an upgrade on Collins not a back up.

I don’t think we’re gonna get an upgrade on a guy with 18 goals with a third of the season left to play. Probably going to put score McGoldrick this year. Best we can hope for is good cover short term with a longer term replacement in the summer. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

I don’t think we’re gonna get an upgrade on a guy with 18 goals with a third of the season left to play. Probably going to put score McGoldrick this year. Best we can hope for is good cover short term with a longer term replacement in the summer. 

Fair point. 

I’d class Smith as an upgrade or on par. Gregory not so much, thus my displeasure.

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

Fair point. 

I’d class Smith as an upgrade or on par. Gregory not so much, thus my displeasure.

And yet he got 18 goals in 42 league 1 appearances last season for a promotion winning side who were top for chunks of the season. 

Collins is on 13 from 29. 

I hope Smith is an improvement. I hope we get him in and he can do well but not at the risk of having to hand out a 3 year contract or anything silly 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What bit of "We are under an EFL-agreed business plan, which was a condition of us coming out of Administration" do you find so difficult to comprehend?

Just because we're currently operating under a business plan doesn't mean we couldn't have signed players who would have played a greater role than the ones we did sign. A few free agents signed by L1 clubs which could have been alternatives to who we signed (and who they signed for):

Bradley: Pennington (Blackpool), Lopata (Barnsley), Jones (Charlton), Shaughnessy (Portsmouth), Poole (Portsmouth)
Elder: Sparkes (Portsmouth)
Ward: Dacres-Cogley (Bolton), Clark (Port Vale)
Fornah / Embleton: Morgan (Blackpool), Chislett (Port  Vale), Knibbs (Reading), Wing (Reading), Matt Smith (Wigan)
John-Jules / Washington / Waghorn: Martin (Bristol Rovers), Harris (Oxford), Rodrigues (Oxford), Smith (Reading)

Of the players listed, all are rated higher according to Whoscored than the players we signed, with the exception of Waghorn who is higher than Harris.