Lee Gregory (again)

Fraser_23

6 minutes ago, David said:

Without selling Cashin or Bird, we have nothing in the pot for permanent signings. We know that.

We’re left with loan options only, where many of the better players available on loan will already be out at clubs.

Unless we’re able to structure a deal with a club like the CBT one where a contract is expiring, we’re left scraping the barrel.

That’s the situation.

Gregory would not be an exciting signing, he will not sell extra tickets, nor is he Warne’s first choice in this situation, we all know that as well with the approach for Smith.

What it would be a short term loan until the end of the season giving us cover for Collins. I suspect he would be behind Washington as well if he can get himself fit.

It’s the final transfer window before restrictions are lifted and we get to see what Clowes and Warne can bring to the club.

Until then, we have to just get on with it and show a little understanding that none of this is an ideal situation for club, manager or fans.

Just to add, I fully blame journalists for linking us with all these players with other clubs fighting promotion.

It’s raised unrealistic possibilities of who we can bring in.

Not helped us at all.

37 minutes ago, David said:

Just to add, I fully blame journalists for linking us with all these players with other clubs fighting promotion.

Not helped us at all.

Think that's fair, but also feel there's a lot of space between 'unrealistic signing' and Lee Gregory. If he's really the best remaining option then we shouldn't have put ourselves in this position.

7 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I guess because he’s unproven as a goal scorer at this level in stark contrast to Gregory and Smith.

I appreciate we won’t know until he’s given a shot but quick results seems to be the order of the day.

True but we have one fit striker ?!?

1 hour ago, vonwright said:

Think that's fair, but also feel there's a lot of space between 'unrealistic signing' and Lee Gregory. If he's really the best remaining option then we shouldn't have put ourselves in this position.

Possibly, however can any of us seriously sit here and claim to have any knowledge of exactly who is available within the loan budget we have?

I mean both Smith and Gregory, we are refusing to pay the majority of the wages. Wouldn’t exactly be on mega money so is the refusal based on said budget or some other reason?

We could sit and throw suggestions out there all day long, as I say, we have no idea on the availability.

I actually liked Gregory the first time round. Big lad with a good footballing brain, I think he’d suit the way we play. I’m a fan of Collins but his actual hold up play leaves a lot to be desired, Gregory would definitely be an improvement in that regard. Whether he’s as much of a goal threat I’m not too sure but would be nice to have another option.

25 minutes ago, Justa said:

True but we have one fit striker ?!?

Yeah I’m not agreeing with the club per se but it would be a leap of faith to put Brown in the starting lineup. 

Sounds like Waghorn and Washington will be back in about a month. 

Collins and one other should be enough til then.

Thankfully we’ve had a number of different scorers and CBT should get a few.

Perhaps we’ll be able to offer a fringe player plus loan fee for Smith and get that one done. Gregory seems a second choice but not a bad one by any means if fit.

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yeah I’m not agreeing with the club per se but it would be a leap of faith to put Brown in the starting lineup. 

Sounds like Waghorn and Washington will be back in about a month. 

Collins and one other should be enough til then.

Thankfully we’ve had a number of different scorers and CBT should get a few.

Perhaps we’ll be able to offer a fringe player plus loan fee for Smith and get that one done. Gregory seems a second choice but not a bad one by any means if fit.

Would the Wendies want a fringe player of ours?

32 minutes ago, David said:

Possibly, however can any of us seriously sit here and claim to have any knowledge of exactly who is available within the loan budget we have?

I mean both Smith and Gregory, we are refusing to pay the majority of the wages. Wouldn’t exactly be on mega money so is the refusal based on said budget or some other reason?

We could sit and throw suggestions out there all day long, as I say, we have no idea on the availability.

We can't, but I think we can say with reasonable confidence our overall transfer strategy since summer has been poor. And that whether through a lack of planning or a lack of imagination, it's brought us to Lee Gregory. 

Edited by vonwright

3 hours ago, David said:

Without selling Cashin or Bird, we have nothing in the pot for permanent signings. We know that.

We’re left with loan options only, where many of the better players available on loan will already be out at clubs.

Unless we’re able to structure a deal with a club like the CBT one where a contract is expiring, we’re left scraping the barrel.

That’s the situation.

Gregory would not be an exciting signing, he will not sell extra tickets, nor is he Warne’s first choice in this situation, we all know that as well with the approach for Smith.

What it would be a short term loan until the end of the season giving us cover for Collins. I suspect he would be behind Washington as well if he can get himself fit.

It’s the final transfer window before restrictions are lifted and we get to see what Clowes and Warne can bring to the club.

Until then, we have to just get on with it and show a little understanding that none of this is an ideal situation for club, manager or fans.

Stop talking sense 

16 minutes ago, vonwright said:

We can't, but I think we can say with reasonable confidence our overall transfer strategy since summer has been poor. And that whether through a lack of planning or a lack of imagination, it's brought us to Lee Gregory. 

I'm personally happy with a bigger percentage of the transfers made this season. The way they got CBT over the line as well and structured was a decent move. I know he hasn't hit the ground running yet he was a play in big demand on here. 

We have to get cover for Collo. That's a mandatory condition. Crap luck that we lose three striking options to injury, but here we are. I think Warne and co probably had a few sexier targets, but clearly most players who improve the starting 11 have not been within our scope, so the next best option, given our current circumstances, is a short loan that offers decent cover and perhaps a different attacking option. I think Gregory meets those requirements well enough and has more than enough about him to be scoring against L1 defences when Collo needs resting.

5 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Our bench vs Cheltenham was -

Wildsmith Bradley Thompson Fornah Fapetu Robinson Ward

No matter your opinion of Gregory you cannot deny if yoy put him on that bench he instantly improves it. Is he the man everyone wants, no, but will he improve our bench & offer something as a sub, yes he would

He gives us an attacking option at least 😊

5 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Our bench vs Cheltenham was -

Wildsmith Bradley Thompson Fornah Fapetu Robinson Ward

No matter your opinion of Gregory you cannot deny if yoy put him on that bench he instantly improves it. Is he the man everyone wants, no, but will he improve our bench & offer something as a sub, yes he would

I quite liked him last time. He's got a real nose for goal and is decent around the pitch. #COYR

16 hours ago, David said:

Not helped us at all.

I think the Club must also take some of the responsibility here as well. All the utterances about having money to spend and how we were going to strengthen significantly in the Jan window so as to ‘not make the same mistake as last season’. Better comms from the Club to the fans in terms of realistic expectations might have helped too.

i might also add that our negotiating strategy in terms of trying to get Smith have been seriously impacted by the constant talk from mgmt of our desperate need for another striker. As much as that is true and obvious it’s just left the Wendies thinking they have us over a barrel….

I actually don’t mind us getting Gregory until the end of the season as he’s a perfect alternative to Collo and would fit in to how we currently play. But he won’t bring anything new to the team and won’t allow us to really play another way…I.e. adopt the much vaunted plan B and C often required in games as they develop.