Lee Gregory (again)

Fraser_23

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not sure why this is being mocked. I thought he did a pretty good job for us when we were struggling in the Championship. 

Anyone seen him play recently? Just hoping his legs haven't gone.

He was solid two years ago. But personally and I might only be speaking for myself here, I was hoping for an upgrade on Collins not a back up.

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not sure why this is being mocked. I thought he did a pretty good job for us when we were struggling in the Championship. 

If he’s fit he will:

Always give 100%
Score goals
Be a viable sub
Not upset existing players 

Okay, it’s not exciting, but if it’s that or no signing, we need back-up.

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

3 years ago and had a couple of injuries since then. Wednesday fans don't like him either and say his legs are gone.

Incredibly uninspiring. Warne specifically said we were looking abroad at players, yet come the end of the window we're looking at ANOTHER Wednesday player, over the age of 30 and on big money. 

What's the scouting department doing? Or is Warne ignoring them?

Looking at Thomas' signings for Oxford, there's absolutely no correlation.

4 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

3 years ago and had a couple of injuries since then. Wednesday fans don't like him either and say his legs are gone.

Incredibly uninspiring. Warne specifically said we were looking abroad at players, yet come the end of the window we're looking at ANOTHER Wednesday player, over the age of 30 and on big money. 

I think we’re in a bit of a bind with short-term vs long-term strategy. 

A smart, patient League One club with a long-term strategy doesn’t pay £300k to release a 26 year old League One winger from his contract a few months early. But it sounds like we really need to get promoted sooner rather than later. And if the CBT signing and other short-term moves get us promoted, it may all be worth it.

The question is, if we were to get promoted, I have no idea if we would be more strategic or we’d just carry on with the scattergun approach.  

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

Not sure beggars can be choosers at this stage, we need back up for Collins at least and Warne knows that. Gregory knows the fanbase and expectations and all that jazz Warne thinks is important, moreso than a young loanee.

Yes it would be nice to have a Pesch type player that offers a big man little man combo with complimenting skills, but we do have players who can play off Collins if needs be. What we don't have in our squad or if Collins is missing (that suspension can't be far off) is more of a target man. 

I want Smith and I think because he has history with Warne he'd be a better fit for hitting the ground running.

Reckon we'll find a way to get Smith in on a permanent tomorrow. That would stop the wages proportion and loan fee issue. Taking over his contract for 18 months would suit all parties I'd expect.

Guess we'll see. 

14 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Leosandro Gregorio - welcome to Derby!

10 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think we’re in a bit of a bind with short-term vs long-term strategy. 

A smart, patient League One club with a long-term strategy doesn’t pay £300k to release a 26 year old League One winger from his contract a few months early. But it sounds like we really need to get promoted sooner rather than later. And if the CBT signing and other short-term moves get us promoted, it may all be worth it.

The question is, if we were to get promoted, I have no idea if we would be more strategic or we’d just carry on with the scattergun approach.  

I don’t think there is any bind, to be truthful.

Almost everything that happens football-wise is incredibly short term.

This is just another signing we make that anyone on this forum could think of within 5 minutes of being asked. Maybe he’s still alright, maybe he’s not but I find it incredibly uninspiring either way. 

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I’ve been told that Mansfield are still after Gregory but are arguing over his wages.

Wednesday are after a forward from America and then hopefully we will get Smith.

Same source that told me Flint was nailed on 😂

To be fair I think Flint was nailed on, Warne opted to sign someone else instead.

3 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I’ve been told that Mansfield are still after Gregory but are arguing over his wages.

Wednesday are after a forward from America and then hopefully we will get Smith.

Perhaps, and I’m not 100% confident on this, we can compete with Mansfield for Gregory if push comes to shove on deadline day

5 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Is this guy saying we are interested in Gregory legit?

I sincerely hope that we have other options rather than relying on Wednesday to play ball.  Understand they need to look after their own interests, but dealing with a notoriously difficult owner.  I can see no deals for Gregory or Smith as a likely outcome  - time will tell.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Is this guy saying we are interested in Gregory legit?

Didn’t mention us in regards to Gregory, more that he was supposed to be going to the Stags.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that they have been talking amongst themselves and Derby have offered Gregory what he’s looking for as a backup, but that’s just a guess.

Lee Gregory would be fine if there is nothing else we can get in. He's experienced, will be a handful and I'd fancy him to chip in with a few goals.

What annoys me is I am reading some fans on twitter using this as a stick to beat Warne with. "I'm worried about Warne and our transfer policy if this is what we're doing"

Do you think if we sat Paul Warne in a room he'd say that Lee Gregory was his number one target and one he has always wanted?

No he wouldn't. Ideally he'd want a 24-27 year old proven league one striker who's ready to go and good enough to step up to the championship but if there are any available then 1. They aren't going to be sold and 2. If they were, we can't afford them. At all.

It's like our fans have seen that we have next to nothing, had to dip into a loan pot for CBT and are just ignoring that. 

If Gregory comes in he'll get my support, he's a stop gap for the season. Gives us an option. Is he what I want? No. He's not. But he might be the best we can get given our budget.

I've seen people say they'll be livid if we sign Gregory and we should have kept Brown. Livid? If be more livid if we didn't bring someone in.

Brown is nowhere near ready yet. Thrusting a young player in early can ruin them. 

I remember when we got linked with Jordan Rhodes and people were kicking off then. He's second top goalscorer now.

But alas, it's all Warnes fault. Warnes fault we've got no money, Warnes fault our midfield is poor when half of them are out injured. 

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

But alas, it's all Warnes fault. Warnes fault we've got no money, Warnes fault our midfield is poor when half of them are out injured. 

How much of our budget for the season do you think he spent on his summer signings?