Lee Gregory (again)

Fraser_23

10 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think both Smith and Gregory could do a decent job for us, just through until the end of the season and the end of the financial restrictions.

So you believe DC is itching to throw more money at the club?  I am not convinced but time will tell

15 minutes ago, Spanish said:

So you believe DC is itching to throw more money at the club?  I am not convinced but time will tell

No, just bring a striker in on loan until the end of the season…got to watch the pennies.

50 minutes ago, Spanish said:

You indicated financial restrictions end at the end but of the season.  I am yet to be persuaded the budget will not change much.

I don't think the budget will change much, but I think we'll be changing tact from high earners on a free (to fit in with the 'business plan'), to lower earners that cost a transfer fee...

12 hours ago, S8TY said:

Ward would only be needed if we were thinking of 352 as he’s not a RB even posh fans said he was defensively weak 

Elder I agree on and has played well recently apart from his slip against Burton but that happens but he still doesn’t get in front of Fozzy so basically we were getting cover players ? So wasn’t better than what we already had 

I thought we were signing players in the summer who were starters 

Nyambe was a good signing but I still don’t think we needed either Ward or Elder as a sensible loan or 2 to cover LB /RB would have been sufficient or god forbid we look for players that can play a couple of positions 

on the whole I’ve found PW’s signings underwhelming that’s all im saying 

when Clough signed players like Brayford, Coutts Bryson, Martin etc they were an improvement on what we had and I could see why 

all managers get some signings wrong but I just think in our current predicament I would’ve liked to have seen more right than wrong 

Sorry mate I would disagree here.

Forsyth was our only left back on the books in the summer. He signed a one year deal and most agreed he would have been a good squad player to have. We then signed Elder, who pretty much we all agreed on that it was a really good signing. 28 years old, won league one previously, had 10 assists from left back. Unfortunately for him he was injured in pre season and missed most of it. Missing pre season is massive for any player as they are playing catch up.

How do we know that he wouldn't get infront of Forsyth of he'd been fit and firing all season? We don't. He's clearly plenty good enough.

His other signings.

Wilson - Has potential to be really good. 

Bradley - Everyone was absolutely buzzing when we signed him. Didn't start great. Made a couple of mistakes (which is all you need to do in our fans cases before we write someone off) and he's unfortunate that Cashin and Nelson have been so good. We probably signed him expecting Cashin to go.

Fornah - Definitely has potential. Still young. Hardly any experience. But there's definitely a player in there. Sometimes to laid back but he'll learn.

Washington - A player Warne trusts. Just starting to see glimpses (the go against Northampton) of what he could do at this level, getting up to speed. Then he's injured on international duty.

Ward - Obviously with 352 in mind. But now he just looks like he's surplus to requirements. I might be wrong. But I just don't see him getting a game or even on the bench soon.

Waghorn - Steady played. No world beater. Cheap, convenient and will still contribute when he's back fit.

Nyambe - Brilliant signing. Really good defender. 

Vickers - A keeper. Not really don't anything wrong.

TJJ - Massive risk we felt we could take. Obviously looked at his ability and thought we couldn't get much better if we can get him fit. It's not worked out. 

Embleton - Can barely judge this. He did his thigh taking a corner in training.

Some signings don't work out as you hope. It's the way it goes. 

But we don't seem to give anyone a chance before we want them gone or say they are s****. I've seen some having a go at CBT already after playing 80 minutes of football for us.

I've just seen Brighton are letting Dahoud go. A midfielder they signed from Dortmund in the summer. Clearly not worked out it happens.

We're a league one club, with hardly any money, working to restrictions. We can only do what we can do. 

I fear there is too much expectation on Dejaune Brown.  Some people appear to be expecting him to walk into the side and play at a level he has never been near to before.

Yes, he’s a prospect, but when we’re looking at a very raw player, we have to nurture him and that is why sending him out on loan to Gateshead is beneficial for him in the longer term.

If he was up to the level that we’re looking at, I would expect him to have had more time on our bench, and the fact that he got 13 mins off the bench on Saturday means he’s still got some development to go.

15 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Forsyth was our only left back on the books in the summer. He signed a one year deal and most agreed he would have been a good squad player to have. We then signed Elder, who pretty much we all agreed on that it was a really good signing. 28 years old, won league one previously, had 10 assists from left back. Unfortunately for him he was injured in pre season and missed most of it. Missing pre season is massive for any player as they are playing catch up.

How do we know that he wouldn't get infront of Forsyth of he'd been fit and firing all season? We don't. He's clearly plenty good enough.

His other signings.

Bradley - Everyone was absolutely buzzing when we signed him. Didn't start great. Made a couple of mistakes (which is all you need to do in our fans cases before we write someone off) and he's unfortunate that Cashin and Nelson have been so good. We probably signed him expecting Cashin to go.

Fornah - Definitely has potential. Still young. Hardly any experience. But there's definitely a player in there. Sometimes to laid back but he'll learn.

Washington - A player Warne trusts. Just starting to see glimpses (the go against Northampton) of what he could do at this level, getting up to speed. Then he's injured on international duty.

Ward - Obviously with 352 in mind. But now he just looks like he's surplus to requirements. I might be wrong. But I just don't see him getting a game or even on the bench soon.

Waghorn - Steady played. No world beater. Cheap, convenient and will still contribute when he's back fit.

TJJ - Massive risk we felt we could take. Obviously looked at his ability and thought we couldn't get much better if we can get him fit. It's not worked out. 

But we don't seem to give anyone a chance before we want them gone or say they are s****. I've seen some having a go at CBT already after playing 80 minutes of football for us.

I've just seen Brighton are letting Dahoud go. A midfielder they signed from Dortmund in the summer. Clearly not worked out it happens.

We're a league one club, with hardly any money, working to restrictions. We can only do what we can do. 

Dont go talking sense youth its not allowed here. Youre supposed to say everyones crap 😆

23 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

His other signings.

Yep fair enough mate pretty fair assessment but still think myself we've wasted some money and we need it now 

2 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Yep fair enough mate pretty fair assessment but still think myself we've wasted some money and we need it now 

No that's fair. In hindsight we have.

But we weren't to know that. Most clubs will spend most of their budget in the summer. We needed more work then.

Now we're desperate for a striker.

Ideally a midfielder too, but that's reliant on someone leaving.

1 hour ago, Waghorny said:

I don't think the budget will change much, but I think we'll be changing tact from high earners on a free (to fit in with the 'business plan'), to lower earners that cost a transfer fee...

Warne openly said during the summer transfer window that he was choosing to not sign those type of players.  Something like the players were no better than he was getting on frees, so why pay?

If i remember rightly him & Waggy looked good together upfront in the season behind closed doors before injury hit.

Gregory would chip in with a few goals for sure, and as well as proving cover for Collins should he get injured/suspended, he would also give us a chance to actually rest Collins abit more rather than him having to play full 90s every game.

3 hours ago, SSD said:

Jordan Rhodes has done alright dropping down a division. This might be Gregory's level to chip in 7-8 goals.

I'm not surprised if we went for him. Warne and his lack of trust in a young loanee makes me think he'll be after older players. I mean, look at how he treated Will Osula. Didn't want him for some unknown reason and then Sheff Utd recalled him. I've been watching him recently and he'd be ideal for Warne, chasing down and pressuring defenders.

Bonkers.

He's already dropped down and got 10.  This season 3, one being a lucky bobble off the zimmer.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

His other signings.

The point isn't whether they're decent players though, it's that they were bought for a system we dropped after a few games and some of them represent round pegs in square holes (or is the other way round? I can never remember)

Ward brought as a RWB, sure but then we stopped playing a RWB and he's not a good enough defender to play RB and he's not as good as NML so won't play RW... and Wilson is preferred there anyway.

Elder bought as a LWB but he's not a LWB

Bradley is a good CB and has played in a 3 but he's clearly unsuited to the way we played it at the start of the season.

Fornah doesn't really have a position, so how is he going to develop toward and be comfortable in any particular role?

We'll wait and see if CBT offers us much more than Barkhuizen, we're not sure how Warne will be askng hm to play yet tbf, hopefully we actually bother to give him the ball in the next match to find out!

Nelson, Bradley AND Niambe brought in on top of Cashin and Forsyth as options in a 3CB system? Who's 1st choice RCB? It would be one one of Nelson or Nyambe, which means one of those players (likely two of our higher earners) missing out.

With 3 at the back NML has to play centrally, so in competition with Collins, Washington, Waghorn AND TJJ - 5 players for 2 positions?

"We can only do what we can do" but "with hardly any money" we seemed rather willing to overstack certain positions with players on high wages who may not get as many minutes as the outlay would justify.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

3 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

The point isn't whether they're decent players though, it's that they were bought for a system we dropped after a few games and some of them represent round pegs in square holes (or is the other way round? I can never remember)

Ward brought as a RWB, sure but then we stopped playing a RWB and he's not a good enough defender to play RB and he's not as good as NML so won't play RW... and Wilson is preferred there anyway.

Elder bought as a LWB but he's not a LWB

Bradley is a good CB and has played in a 3 but he's clearly unsuited to the way we played it at the start of the season.

Nelson, Bradley AND Niambe brought in on top of Cashin and Forsyth as options in a 3CB system? Who's 1st choice RCB? It would be one one of Nelson or Niambe, which means one of those players (likely two of our higher earners) missing out.

With 3 at the back NML has to play centrally, so in competition with Collins, Washington, Waghorn AND TJJ - 5 players for 2 positions?

"We can only do what we can do" but "with hardly any money" we seemed rather willing to overstack certain positions with players on high wages who may not get as many minutes as the outlay would justify. I

It's a system we also still play. We don't just play one system. Sometimes it's a 5 at the back sometimes it's a 4..

Elder was signed as he's a left wing back AND a left back. He played left back for Hull when they were promoted. Not left wing back. 

Nyambe clearly bought in as he can play as a RCB if needed but mainly as a better defending right back.

You're making it sound like we've completely abandoned 352. We haven't. 

3 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

It's a system we also still play. We don't just play one system. Sometimes it's a 5 at the back sometimes it's a 4..

Elder was signed as he's a left wing back AND a left back. He played left back for Hull when they were promoted. Not left wing back. 

Nyambe clearly bought in as he can play as a RCB if needed but mainly as a better defending right back.

starting to wonder whether 352 only works with our captain on  the bench

12 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Whichever system we play we have the same issue though - the balance of the signings was haphazard, some don't suit the role they've been given and we're paying high wages for backups, or rotation players.

With 'limited' resources , can we afford to carry a squad with enough players to play these 2 formations with everyone getting adequate game time?

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Without selling Cashin or Bird, we have nothing in the pot for permanent signings. We know that.

We’re left with loan options only, where many of the better players available on loan will already be out at clubs.

Unless we’re able to structure a deal with a club like the CBT one where a contract is expiring, we’re left scraping the barrel.

That’s the situation.

Gregory would not be an exciting signing, he will not sell extra tickets, nor is he Warne’s first choice in this situation, we all know that as well with the approach for Smith.

What it would be a short term loan until the end of the season giving us cover for Collins. I suspect he would be behind Washington as well if he can get himself fit.

It’s the final transfer window before restrictions are lifted and we get to see what Clowes and Warne can bring to the club.

Until then, we have to just get on with it and show a little understanding that none of this is an ideal situation for club, manager or fans.

13 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Desperation stakes …. Just like at the end of the window in Jan last time….

I'm sure Warne said a few months ago, he was not looking to sign anyone who isn't in their prime and not interested in anyone who is passed 30 without a sell on value 

I find the names mentioned bizarre, really whats the point 

Looks like the promotion push isn't on anymore. We are in a perfect position to have a real go. but either the EFL or lack of ambition is our downfall again 

myself I think we need a strong centre mid player more than anything else