Jason Knight

Heisenberg

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Doesn't seem fair to me to sell the Club to a new owner with the intention of making that owner struggle to keep the Club competitive.

Should the business have just liquidated then?

We proved last year that you don't need to pay obscene wages to be competitive, we only git relegated due to the deductions, not because of the lack of quality, despite everything the EFL tried (with not allowing Jagielka to extend beyond Jan or using our own youngsters), and fundamentally, whoever the owner is, it's still DCFC that hadn't paid the bills.... changing owner doesn't help those businesses.

18 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

We proved last year that you don't need to pay obscene wages to be competitive, we only git relegated due to the deductions, not because of the lack of quality, despite everything the EFL tried (with not allowing Jagielka to extend beyond Jan or using our own youngsters), and fundamentally, whoever the owner is, it's still DCFC that hadn't paid the bills.... changing owner doesn't help those businesses.

The new owner didn't run up the debts. Why would they takeover if they had unaffordable bills to pay?

8 hours ago, Rich84 said:

So it's OK to rip people off and potentially ruin businesses and not pay taxes, then spend big on new contracts! It just doesn't sit right with me, so I'm all for financial restrictions for 2 years as I think it is a reasonable penalty to pay to allow rhe club to exist. 

In order for club to be financially viable in the short to medium-term we have to be able to cash in on our best young talent, like Knight. We cannot do this if we cannot offer them competitive contracts and force other clubs to pay us what they are worth. Far too many have been sold way below market rate, thus heavily affecting our sustainability as a business. 

I understand the desire for Derby to be punished for our crimes against humanity and I don't have any issues being forced to demonstrate a sound business plan. But that business plan needs us to be able to maximise our income as well as control our expenditure, it simply can't just be the latter otherwise we stagnate and die a slow death.

The way the business plan and restrictions are executed needs to be based in the real world and wet should be able to make a case for offering players like Knight competitive contracts, if only to stave off the vultures who continually pick over the carcass left by the previous regime.

47 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

I agree there has to be a balance, only being able to offer Ebosele and Plange 1 Yr contracts last summer is counter intuitive to a club that is in debt when they would have meant a bigger income when we sold them.

It's just the size of the wages  and in Knights case it's a tough one as I would expect his agent to suggest that he ought to be on £20k/wk (speculation i know, but to give it context, a number bigger than we are allowed to pay currently) as a full international and the number of games under his belt, but should we be allowed to pay that much? 

Maybe the wage cap should be relaxed for players that are homegrown and are on an upward trajectory in their careers, as opposed to signing a new player and paying them the same even though they have more experience,  that way it would allow the protection of the club's asset, but that is likely to be way too complicated for our friends at the EFL

It should be quite simple. Whether in admin or not We should be allowed to extend contracts for existing players as otherwise they can leave for nothing. 

A cap on new players wages may be ok. And if there is an overall cap too well it’s up to the management whether they would spent £1m of am £8 m wage cap on one player. All clubs in n league one have a wage cap anyway. 

If I was to take a "moral" position, I'd say that in Derby's case the Unsecured Creditors should receive every penny that they are owed and HMRC should take less as a result. Why? Because if anyone can take a multi-million pound hit without going bust, or even blinking, it's the Treasury. Without getting political, Billions have been wasted during the pandemic alone and mobs haven't descended on Downing Street. The NHS and other public services aren't going short because Derby County didn't pay their bills, they're going short because the Government has decided to spend it elsewhere. If £35Bn doesn't outrage the taxpayer, why would £35m?

So come on HMRC, give some of what Mr Clowes is giving you to those creditors who may be left short. You know it makes sense ?

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

To be honest Derby don't belong in League 1 - a points deduction took us down not the quality of our team. 

Hope Knighty stays he's a tremendous asset for us.

We do, we deserved the 21 points and we’re relegated. We have to accept that

9 minutes ago, Crewton said:

If I was to take a "moral" position, I'd say that in Derby's case the Unsecured Creditors should receive every penny that they are owed and HMRC should take less as a result. Why? Because if anyone can take a multi-million pound hit without going bust, or even blinking, it's the Treasury. Without getting political, Billions have been wasted during the pandemic alone and mobs haven't descended on Downing Street. The NHS and other public services aren't going short because Derby County didn't pay their bills, they're going short because the Government has decided to spend it elsewhere. If £35Bn doesn't outrage the taxpayer, why would £35m?

So come on HMRC, give some of what Mr Clowes is giving you to those creditors who may be left short. You know it makes sense ?

I think the carpet baggers here are other clubs who pick over the bones of administration clubs for free bees and cheap talent. We are not the first and will not be the last 

4 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

I think the carpet baggers here are other clubs who pick over the bones of administration clubs for free bees and cheap talent. We are not the first and will not be the last 

There will be apiarists rather than carpet baggers swarming over free bees. There will be a hive of activity.

I've just been talking to my neighbour who has contacts at Birmingham and he says that Knight was at the Blues today, not the best news. I can't believe that a club with such uncertainty of ownership themselves, can be in a position to buy a player of Knight's quality.

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

I've just been talking to my neighbour who has contacts at Birmingham and he says that Knight was at the Blues today, not the best news. I can't believe that a club with such uncertainty of ownership themselves, can be in a position to buy a player of Knight's quality.

I think that was Ronnie Knight. They need someone to crack the safe.

35 minutes ago, ram59 said:

If this is the case then Derby must have agreed a fee and given permission for him to talk to them. I have my doubts. 

4 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

It should be quite simple. Whether in admin or not We should be allowed to extend contracts for existing players as otherwise they can leave for nothing. 

A cap on new players wages may be ok. And if there is an overall cap too well it’s up to the management whether they would spent £1m of am £8 m wage cap on one player. All clubs in n league one have a wage cap anyway. 

Agree totally on 1st para, and with you on  the 2nd also, although I thought I'd read in here somewhere that  the league 1 wage cap wasn't enforced, do think it's a good idea though

16 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Surely if Knight is going to Birmingham, it would be a loan like Bielik, help him get into his world Cup squad and then if/when we are promoted next season both players will be back with us.

I would be very disappointed if we sold him to Birmingham City, would seem very Will Hughes to Watford ish.

I think he's out of Contract at the end of the season, so unless we can get him signed up to a new Contract, he'll be a free agent. 

45 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Surely if Knight is going to Birmingham, it would be a loan like Bielik, help him get into his world Cup squad and then if/when we are promoted next season both players will be back with us.

I would be very disappointed if we sold him to Birmingham City, would seem very Will Hughes to Watford ish.

I don't think Ireland qualified for the World Cup?

Any players who have only 1 year left on their contracts could give us problems.  Players like Knight are likely to be already on contracts higher than we can offer them, so we could only offer them a reduced contract for next season, thus allowing them to leave on a free. This is another unforeseen consequence of the business plan coming out of administration.

Administration is the punishment that keeps on kicking us where it hurts.

4 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

We do, we deserved the 21 points and we’re relegated. We have to accept that

Mel deserved twelve .  The other 9 were points taken off for rules only pushed through 4-5 months ago.  Another rule change re FFP should have seen us get 2-3 points back from those 9 but our fab administrators rolled over to be tickled without any right of appeal five minutes into their first million ..  Screwed over, no doubt.