The Administration Thread

Boycie

22 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Found this online :

Defensive pessimism allows people to be better prepared to face negative outcomes. A key aspect of defensive pessimism is imagining possible negative outcomes to develop strategies for action, should they be needed”

Fair enough, it’s not clear that one chop has developed many strategies for action. During the last two terrible years however, many of the more exuberant amongst us have benefited from being grounded by the perspective of Eeyore

But his race is run ? 

Which is fair comment @kevinhectoring.  But there's a difference between being grounded by Eeyore (and he/she wasn't/isn't the only one), being realistic about the possible outcomes to the process (which are still possible and will be until we get to an announcement that this is over) and banging out a constant highly negative refrain at every opportunity, despite the damage it was clearly doing to the wellbeing of individual members of this board, including myself at different times. 

In any situation like this there is a spectrum of view expressed - highly positive to highly negative - when none of us actually know anything.  We've had people who have been confident that all would end well but who have still been balanced, and no doubt had private moments of doubt. But we've also had people who have been highly negative, who have gone quiet in the positive times only to reappear at the slightest sign of bad news or no news.  Those people should, in my view, consider the impact that their approach has, or might have, on others and if they have done so out of malice (because they actually support another team for example or because they enjoy having that impact) then they should consider the part they wish to play in a decent society.  By all means hold a view but knowing when not to contribute an opinion is as important as contributing.

These have been a highly emotional few months for us all.  Aged 66 I have still found myself crying at times, in front of the computer; my life and mental health has been badly affected at different moments. The club means that much to me. The continuous groundings of Eeyores has not been helpful 

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

I do like the way CK seems to be pretty hands off...regularly stating he leaves things to the experts that he hires to do the job...we could do with that kind of ownership.

I’m sure there will be no storming into the dressing room or trying to talk tactics from CK. He has Stretford looking for 40 players and getting them in is crucial.

4 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Which is fair comment @kevinhectoring.  But there's a difference between being grounded by Eeyore (and he/she wasn't/isn't the only one), being realistic about the possible outcomes to the process (which are still possible and will be until we get to an announcement that this is over) and banging out a constant highly negative refrain at every opportunity, despite the damage it was clearly doing to the wellbeing of individual members of this board, including myself at different times. 

In any situation like this there is a spectrum of view expressed - highly positive to highly negative - when none of us actually know anything.  We've had people who have been confident that all would end well but who have still been balanced, and no doubt had private moments of doubt. But we've also had people who have been highly negative, who have gone quiet in the positive times only to reappear at the slightest sign of bad news or no news.  Those people should, in my view, consider the impact that their approach has, or might have, on others and if they have done so out of malice (because they actually support another team for example or because they enjoy having that impact) then they should consider the part they wish to play in a decent society.  By all means hold a view but knowing when not to contribute an opinion is as important as contributing.

These have been a highly emotional few months for us all.  Aged 66 I have still found myself crying at times, in front of the computer; my life and mental health has been badly affected at different moments. The club means that much to me. The continuous groundings of Eeyores has not been helpful 

image.png

This feels like a cup final. You’re 1-0 up there’s 9 ducking minutes of added time. You’ve beaten the storm of the last 5 minutes and cavalry substitutions but your right back has a limp and they’ve just got a corner at 90+ 8 

phew can’t breath 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Found this online :

Defensive pessimism allows people to be better prepared to face negative outcomes. A key aspect of defensive pessimism is imagining possible negative outcomes to develop strategies for action, should they be needed”

Fair enough, it’s not clear that one chop has developed many strategies for action. During the last two terrible years however, many of the more exuberant amongst us have benefited from being grounded by the perspective of Eeyore

But his race is run ? 

The defensive pessimism strategy in question...

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif.9cfca69a0d0de3f3128e19099058db15.gif

3 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Beautifully worded. 

It's one thing to have a viewpoint, pessimistic, sceptical, optimistic or anywhere else on the spectrum of emotions, but once you've made your feelings known, why keep repeating them, especially if you can't provide any real arguments for that opinion?

Myself, when I find myself triggered by a post, I count to ten while reminding myself that you're getting upset or annoyed by a plastic keyboard, or the tap of a glass screen, de-personalising the written content.

Easier to ignore, that way.

Then I get to Eleven, give the Bamford both barrels and end up with a warning!

For what it’s worth I think One Chop is dong what he does for self amusement and is playing his role like a method actor who has totally immersed himself in his role (I think there could be a few others on here at the game as well). We’re all different and I get his posts might rile a few folk but the timing of his over exaggerated prophecies of doom have been perfectly executed from a subtle gallows humour point of view. 

1 minute ago, Orphanram said:

For what it’s worth I think One Chop is dong what he does for self amusement and is playing his role like a method actor who has totally immersed himself in his role (I think there could be a few others on here at the game as well). We’re all different and I get his posts might rile a few folk but the timing of his over exaggerated prophecies of doom have been perfectly executed from a subtle gallows humour point of view. 

Agreed, and I think it would be better if people viewed his/hers/theres posts as such, and left them to their own devices.

No need to call them out, it prolongs the experience.

11 minutes ago, Rev said:

Beautifully worded. 

It's one thing to have a viewpoint, pessimistic, sceptical, optimistic or anywhere else on the spectrum of emotions, but once you've made your feelings known, why keep repeating them, especially if you can't provide any real arguments for that opinion?

Myself, when I find myself triggered by a post, I count to ten while reminding myself that you're getting upset or annoyed by a plastic keyboard, or the tap of a glass screen, de-personalising the written content.

Easier to ignore, that way.

Then I get to Eleven, give the Bamford both barrels and end up with a warning!

Brilliant. I’m like that in life. A fairly thick veneer of reasonable balanced behaviour, seeing “both sides now” Feeling like a sage and all round amiable fellow looking for consensus   - sometimes almost above all that petty squabbling .. then … someone presses a button and mr 6 year old tantrum purple face loses it ( I’m talking visceral verbals here, not physical weaponry I hasten to add)

.I end up apologising, eating humble pie and swearing to myself be a better man in future and I mean it ! God if it was one thing I could improve about myself .. Don’t let them see that button, it helps no one. 

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Come on now surely people only want it to happen because they want to know when get the fizz out the fridge or the whisky out in celebration. Unless CK is the biggest con man in history, this is done barring formalities. 

Ive just been going big for the last few days just in case anyway! ?

40 pints of home brew ready and waiting, come on Chris, get it done.