West Bromwich Albion (H) Matchday Thread

Inverurie Ram

Just now, DavesaRam said:

Well there certainly weren't anything like 24000 there today. Not even close.

I'd suggest it looked like a healthy attendance and I'd trust the figures. I've been there with 17,000, 20,000, 22,000 and today  it looked like there was a good number in the ground. I hope the attendances do start to get a bit of bump especially if we can gather some momentum as there is nothing worse than seeing plenty of empty seats. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roos, Jagielka, Buchanan, Shinnie, Bielik, Jozwiak and Lawrence all missing from the match day squad, the majority of which would be starters with a fully fit squad. Goes to show what an excellent job the lads did today.

The 14 players who were on the field for today's win :

6 academy players
5 free signings
3 signings bought for under £1m combined

The 4 who didn't make it on:

3 academy players
1 free signing

Putting some Pride back into DCFC.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yes, agree about the attendance, not so much that we gave as good as we got though. We defended extremely well and 0-0 would have been a great result under the circumstances ?

We thought there were way more than 20,000 there. No doubt they had better control of the game and the better chances. But it reminded me of Fulham, we just would not lie down. You make your own luck 

Amazed with what I saw today. WBA haven't scored many in recent times, but the team we had to field looked well short of a result on paper. Absolute guts and bottle to grind out 3 points from that. 

With everything that's going on, the fact that we haven't rolled over but are showing masses of enthusiasm is inspirational. 

We've had so many teams miles more talented in every regard, but so few I've had as much pride in. 

Absolutely smashing day out again. COYR.

Hi just signed up after years lucking in the shadows, sit in SW Upper ...fullest it has been all season by a huge margin ...even singing in concourse at HT ..can’t remember that in three years I have been in this stand, me and my mates all  thought 23 to 26k given 3k. wBA fans...having said that don’t care ...the support was amazing last 30 mins...have to go back to a full house v Brighton to remember it being that good ......hard being a DCFC fan at times, ( understatement of the year) but we are a special club and the heartbeat of the City 

Expected us to get battered today. We usually struggle against big, physical teams, even if they're not actually particularly good. With the quality West Brom have, I anticipated a heavy loss.

In the end, we made them look poor. OK, we didn't look brilliant ourselves, but 1-0 was a fair result overall. 

I was particularly impressed with Allsop. OK, the save at the end was excellent, but even before that, he looked really assured. He didn't have many saves to make, but some of that was down to his excellent positioning. 

Bizarrely, without the points deduction, we are 8 points off the play offs. In a normal season, a good transfer window and we might have been shooting for 6th by April. 

The atmosphere was excellent again. There's a lot to like about this squad, this manager and this club at present. 

Edited by angieram
Remove personal insults

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

it was an awful set up to start. Festy and Byrne as a combination gets worse not better, and yet again the relentless long ball to left wing fozzie was schoolboy football. Baldock was again utterly pointless. Credit to Rooney , he changed it and pretty early on. Thought he was right to bring on Morrison but RM will only give you control and possession if he’s playing deeper. We rode our luck in no small part because of the commitment and energy. COYR

Commiserations to your wife. 

6 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Can we all just pause and spare a thought for the poor referee - he wanted West Brom to win so badly and will have been absolutely gutted by the result….and not only that, but he’ll need to explain to his mate Livermore how he failed to deliver the win (at least I assume they’re mates after seeing him fist-bump Livermore when they were warming up before the game!)

It was 9 men against 12 today with neither Plange nor Baldock contributing after the opening 5 minutes and the ref absolutely desperate for the Baggies to win. I reckon 20+ terrible decisions, including not giving us the first half pen for handball. Everything went West Brom's way, but the Derby players didn't help themelves when stopping to look at the ref when an opposition player threw himself to the floor. But I guess they knew the whistle was inevitable. When Thompson was booked for his first foul, Knight pointed out to the ref that he'd already been fouled five times but no cards were given to the opposition. Hence Knighty had to draw on all his international experience when foul number six happened, to pirouette in midair to force the ref to give a yellow to one of the opposition. 

Seven minutes of second half injury time still wasn't enough to allow West Brom to score, though in part thanks to a good save from Allsop on 95 minutes.

Also, why didn't any of the Derby fans hop over the hoardings and nick the towels? Surely that was the right thing to do?

5 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Standing at our seats after the match with my son and daughter and a got a tremendous sense of strength and togetherness.

That pretty much explains what it’s all about.  I started taking my son when he was about 5, used to pick him up when we scored. Can’t do that anymore as he is 17 and 6ft 3 ( I’m 5ft 7) .

But we were at old Trafford when we won on penalties and he picked me up and hugged me.  Can’t think of any other situation in life he would do this!!

football is more important than a tax bill !!