West Bromwich Albion (H) Matchday Thread

Inverurie Ram

Can only echo what’s been said 
so proud if I was an opposition fan I’d be a little bit jealous of our team 

there’s a purity of effort and enthusiasm that you can’t help but admire there is also some decent talent out there too 

a midfield of Thomson bird and knight against West Brom?

Take a bow boys you earned your luck today 

We’re Derby County we’ll fight til the end 

Proud of this team, any other over the last 7 years with the fight this lot had we’d of been a premier club, I won’t ever forgive Mel for the mess he’s left us in but he did do one thing very well and that’s help this academy come very very far! Also it may not be true but any new ownership looking from the outside in thinking of replacing Rooney and co when they come in would be making a big big mistake! I didn’t want him when Cocu left like most but he deserves praise and big praise 

Standing at our seats after the match with my son and daughter and a got a tremendous sense of strength and togetherness. That was a tremendous achievement. However, some of the comments about "wave after wave of counter attacks" and the like made it sound like it was 90 odd minutes of attack v defence. West Brom moved the ball around well in their own half, and were fairly quick and decisive going forwards, but for all their alleged dominance, they didn't create that many clear cut chances. In reality it was a good, fairly well balanced game of football. Yes the Baggies were the better team in many departments, although not having the squad ravaged by Covid and whatever else would help. 

There were two turning points in the match which put us right in there. Firstly Wayne swapped to a back three and put Ebosele to left back because the Baggies did what lots of teams do by lofting the ball in behind Fozzy knowing what his Achilles heel is. The tactical change made a huge difference. The second thing was about 10 minutes into the second half with the ref making something like 8 or 9 absolutely dreadful decisions, all in West Brom's favour, and most of them simply completely wrong. That really got the fans going, and instead of balling the ref out, we made our noise getting behind the team. CKR came on at just the right time to capitalise on all this, and the game was won. I have to say though that at this time of year, gifts usually come wrapped in pretty paper! The goal must have really hacked the ref off! 

Now although West Brom were physical, (and with the manager they have I wouldn't expect anything else) they weren't particularly dirty, but the amount of fouls they got away with was phenomenal, especially what passed as fouls against the Rams. We keep seeing this sort of thing, but i don't think I have seen such a one-sided refereeing performance in ages. He and his officials were dreadful. They didn't even give us the complimentary 15 minutes at the start of the match whereby the decisions are ok.

The standout players were Stearman, Knight, Thompson, Davies ..... oh what am I talking about? the whole squad took nothing back to the changing rooms. A tremendous performance, with really good game management at the end. Plus Fozzy on the wind up by using their towel! Brilliant!

Depending on what announcement Boris makes in the next few days, that might be the last timewe stand together at pride Park for a while, but we stand with the boys on the Great Escape. Talking of Boris, was he in charge of counting the attendance? 24,000 plus? Who was he kidding? There was probably only around 15,000 in there. I know non-attending season ticket holders are counted, but that figure makes no sense.

But the result does!!! COME ON YOU RAMS!

10 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Standing at our seats after the match with my son and daughter and a got a tremendous sense of strength and togetherness. That was a tremendous achievement. However, some of the comments about "wave after wave of counter attacks" and the like made it sound like it was 90 odd minutes of attack v defence. West Brom moved the ball around well in their own half, and were fairly quick and decisive going forwards, but for all their alleged dominance, they didn't create that many clear cut chances. In reality it was a good, fairly well balanced game of football. Yes the Baggies were the better team in many departments, although not having the squad ravaged by Covid and whatever else would help. 

There were two turning points in the match which put us right in there. Firstly Wayne swapped to a back three and put Ebosele to left back because the Baggies did what lots of teams do by lofting the ball in behind Fozzy knowing what his Achilles heel is. The tactical change made a huge difference. The second thing was about 10 minutes into the second half with the ref making something like 8 or 9 absolutely dreadful decisions, all in West Brom's favour, and most of them simply completely wrong. That really got the fans going, and instead of balling the ref out, we made our noise getting behind the team. CKR came on at just the right time to capitalise on all this, and the game was won. I have to say though that at this time of year, gifts usually come wrapped in pretty paper! The goal must have really hacked the ref off! 

Now although West Brom were physical, (and with the manager they have I wouldn't expect anything else) they weren't particularly dirty, but the amount of fouls they got away with was phenomenal, especially what passed as fouls against the Rams. We keep seeing this sort of thing, but i don't think I have seen such a one-sided refereeing performance in ages. He and his officials were dreadful. They didn't even give us the complimentary 15 minutes at the start of the match whereby the decisions are ok.

The standout players were Stearman, Knight, Thompson, Davies ..... oh what am I talking about? the whole squad took nothing back to the changing rooms. A tremendous performance, with really good game management at the end. Plus Fozzy on the wind up by using their towel! Brilliant!

Depending on what announcement Boris makes in the next few days, that might be the last timewe stand together at pride Park for a while, but we stand with the boys on the Great Escape. Talking of Boris, was he in charge of counting the attendance? 24,000 plus? Who was he kidding? There was probably only around 15,000 in there. I know non-attending season ticket holders are counted, but that figure makes no sense.

Yes, agree about the attendance, not so much that we gave as good as we got though. We defended extremely well and 0-0 would have been a great result under the circumstances ?

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Can we all just pause and spare a thought for the poor referee - he wanted West Brom to win so badly and will have been absolutely gutted by the result….and not only that, but he’ll need to explain to his mate Livermore how he failed to deliver the win (at least I assume they’re mates after seeing him fist-bump Livermore when they were warming up before the game!)

Awful ref. Behind play, seemed to think wrapping arms round players is an acceptable defensive ploy and that diving on the edge of the box (if you’re in the Peaky Blinders)  is rewardable creative expression. Clean tackles warrant yellow cards and 50/50 balls default to the visitors. Waving his hands and pointing at his watch  to hurry Fozzy up with a throw in - having tolerated the pink towel gamesmanship for 60 minutes . Pathetic. I hope festy’s yellow is contested. 

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Awful ref. Behind play, seemed to think wrapping arms round players is an acceptable defensive ploy and that diving on the edge of the box (if you’re in the Peaky Blinders)  is rewardable creative expression. Clean tackles warrant yellow cards and 50/50 balls default to the visitors. Waving his hands and pointing at his watch  to hurry Fozzy up with a throw in - having tolerated the pink towel gamesmanship for 60 minutes . Pathetic. I hope festy’s yellow is contested. 

Don’t think you can appeal a yellow. Agree, the ref was poor today ?

Anyway, rant at ref excluded .. what a horrid game of football and what a magnificent display of guts and commitment from our makeshift team of brave hearts. Talk about stretching muscle and sinew. 

Long ball didn’t work with no one to hold the ball and a young midfield that initially got over run .. but Wayne tweaked it and restored par to even stevens. Front 2 didn’t work. Baldock and Plange only had scraps so can’t be blamed. Knight covered so much ground, immense performance. Bird slow off the mark but improved as the game went on, Tommo is going to be some player as is Festy. Deserved his ovation for a fine performance. Everyone played a part. The crowd were fierce, loud and drove us on. Loved it when CKR came on. Like the bit in Lord of the rings when reinforcements arrive at the death. What’s that coming over the hill .. it’s a Colin  .. they stepped back .. be afraid, be very afraid! We have some heavy artillery ! And a word for spider man Allsop .. what a save .. it seemed like a slow motion twisted  star jump. Stearman stepped up, Curtis was Curtis. I can’t do a MOTM but employee of the month goes to Fozzy for the towel, well done that man

que sera sera .. we are fighting to the end. Wonderful day out, can’t think of a better way to lose my voice 

Gutsy performance from the lads today, especially with at least 3 key players out with Covid. Didn’t play well first half especially couldn’t get anything going partly due to their relentless pressing. Bird and Thompson weren’t given any time on the ball. We couldn’t string two passes together. We were sucked into their frenetic game and the match at times was like a pinball game, not easy on the eye.  Switching festy to the left moving Fozzy inside improved things as others have said.

Second half Max was able to get on the ball more, that combined with Kazim and Ravel coming on improved us. The goal was a gift but came from the two subs pressurising and it was a brilliant finish from Kazim. If there is any game where stats give a misleading picture it’s this one. They had 19 shots 5 on target, yet most of those were scrappy efforts, the Robinson chance first half, the Clarke header over the bar and the unbelievable Allsop save at the death were the only ones that really concerned me despite all their play. I think they are a really good squad with a poor manager and unless they make a change I don’t think they’ll finish top 6. Not impressed. 

Proud of them today. Davies and Stearman were mega, as was Fox when moved into the back 3, Ebosele played well as did Bird and Thompson second half. Knight covered every blade of grass and Allsop was excellent, the save was world class but he commanded his area superbly all game and is excellent on crosses. Davies probably shaded my MOM.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

There were two turning points in the match which put us right in there. Firstly Wayne swapped to a back three We were already in a back 3, he just swapped personnel around and put Ebosele to left back because the Baggies did what lots of teams do by lofting the ball in behind Fozzy knowing what his Achilles heel is. The tactical change made a huge difference. The second thing was about 10 minutes into the second half with the ref making something like 8 or 9 absolutely dreadful decisions, all in West Brom's favour, and most of them simply completely wrong. That really got the fans going, and instead of balling the ref out, we made our noise getting behind the team. CKR came on at just the right time to capitalise on all this, and the game was won. I have to say though that at this time of year, gifts usually come wrapped in pretty paper! The goal must have really hacked the ref off! 

Depending on what announcement Boris makes in the next few days, that might be the last timewe stand together at pride Park for a while, but we stand with the boys on the Great Escape. Talking of Boris, was he in charge of counting the attendance? 24,000 plus? Who was he kidding? There was probably only around 15,000 in there. I know non-attending season ticket holders are counted, How do you know? but that figure makes no sense.