Derby County versus Real Betis, 28 July, Pre-Season Friendly

angieram

48 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Nice to win but still can't see any sort of cohesive plan for how we're going to score goals forming, can't see much evidence of coached routine and understanding between the attacking players.

The Sibley debate amuses me, like it's Watson (or someone else) 100% of the time or Sibley 100% of the time. Squad / tactical management within games doesn't exist, using players at the right times and in the right matches to make the most of their individual qualities an alien concept you can't expect the manager to understand. 

Watson did well, but an assist in a pre-season friendly and a couple of examples of (just) keeping possession against a team not applying the same sort of pressure a championship team might seemingly justifies jettisoning a player who's been the standout star of our academy and when used properly showed that he could make a big impact on actual, real life, competitive Championship fixtures?

Shinnie & Roos the stars, game suited the former perfectly tbf, they won't face many like Graeme in la Liga will they?

...but that just makes me think of Sibley again. Everyone loves it when Shinnie flies into a challenge, or gives the opponent a 'gentle push' even though he's treading exactly the same line Sibley does, but one gets applauded and the other admonished for the same sort of thing.

With Shinnie though, instead of someone trying to drill it out of his game they've embraced it, let him gain experience in using his 'bite' correctly. With Sibley it's like people are trying to eradicate it from his game entirely rather than learning to use it more effectively. Surprised he dares make any challenges at all.

Sibley's a young lad who can be coached.

Shinnie, on the other hand... you can't teach an old(er) dog new tricks, as they say ?

15 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I was sat behind the dugout tonight and thought all of the coaching set-up just looks ameturish. They all look completely out of their depth and if I had to have a guess, I don't think many of the players will have much respect for any of them.

And as for Sibley, he looks down in the dumps. A player that ALL Derby supporters were warming too before we went into lockdown has had all the fight and hunger drained out of him.

If it is true that Rooney has told him he's not in his plans, I think I'd be happy to move on whilst ever Rooney was in charge.

And as for Rooney having to apologies after a game to his family on National TV, just tells you all you need to know about the guy. 

Get him out of our club ASAP, please.

ROONEY!.........ROONEY!

...........I like the clubbing lights at the end.........brilliant!

I'd also like to apologise to my family on National TV, but unfortunately National TV are not interested in me...........yet!

33 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

...........we played well.........we won 1-0..........against quality opposition...................and it's oh so quiet........ in here.

Up The Rams.

Didn’t over react when we lost at Salford, same with this game. Both just friendlies. Games from August 7th count.

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What kind of striker is Stretton?

I like Jack Stretton. He’s a hard working striker, with good control, can run with the ball, and has an eye for goal. In his first-year as a professional last season, after graduating from the Academy, he was prolific at the start of the U23 season. Like all players at that age, he has areas he needs to work on, but after stepping up from the U18s, in a short space of time he overtook Cameron Cresswell, Bobby Duncan and Jahmal Hector-Ingram which is credit to him.

He had a good, short loan spell at Stockport County where he scored three goals in five appearances.

Of course, none of that guarantees anything, I remember Callum Ball being prolific for Derby County reserves but being unable to establish himself in the first-team under Nigel Clough.

It’s a shame Stretton hit the woodwork in one of his early substitute appearances for the first-team. Had he scored instead, the goal would have done wonders for his confidence.

Footbal365 have listed Stretton in their 10 young Championship players to watch out for this season: 

A calf injury, following his return from Stockport County, prevented him playing in the run-in last season and a muscle strain has kept him out of the pre-season friendlies but, I believe, he returned to training this week.

Stretton looks a natural goal scorer at U23 level but it’s a big step-up to Championship level against streetwise defenders and he has work to do to prove he can score goals on a regular basis at this level.

Edited by Stuniverse

1 minute ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Ipswich are interested in Jagielka I believe, might explain Cook’s presence. 

It's pretty depressing when you keep losing targets to a club one division below. It's probably as depressing that the only other club interested in your targets is one division below.

26 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

At what point did I say expert. 

Sorry my comment upset you. 

Really enjoyed the game, fans in the east stand all got behind the team, nice to be back, players who stood out for me Roos, Bryne, shinnie and Bird, need more players but if we all stick together , fans, and the team, we could have a few good weekends coming up. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

Haven't watched the game but I heard we beat the 6th best team in Spain 1 -0.

Just quickly flipped through the thread and it seems we must have lost 5 or 6 nil.

Fans who was at the game, stayed with and supported the team all through the game, nice to see, hope its a thing we will see all the time, getting behind the boys on a match day, never heard any  moaning in the east stand

Edited by Derby blood

Pretty meh game to be honest. They didn’t give us a kick at times, and despite no intense press we gave the ball away shoddily numerous times, particularly first half. 

Grateful of the win, we needed one - pre season or not. Let’s not pretend that bar two fantastic Roos saves and the width of crossbar that we couldn’t have been 3 goals down before we even had a sniff. 

Of the trialists, I think Morrison is a player who can receive under pressure and be trusted with the ball which is great to have. I do think he needs to be central though. Carroll is a steady player who will recycle the ball well, although did show some rustiness at times. Aluko will do a couple of terrible things for every good thing he does. Baldock is either way light of sharpness or he simply doesn’t have it anymore. Jagielka looks decent for his age, it must be said, but we certainly can’t count on 40+ games from him and Davies. 

We looked better once CKR came on as he offered far more than Baldock. Sibley still criminally underused by the sleepy fart sniffer. Watson looked very tidy and has a lovely centre of gravity to get out of tight spots, but don’t think he has that directness that Sibley has. Both very useful, we need to see more of both. I hope Stetton is fit soon as we really need to see what he has. 

2 hours ago, sage said:

Haven't watched the game but I heard we beat the 6th best team in Spain 1 -0.

Just quickly flipped through the thread and it seems we must have lost 5 or 6 nil.

I don’t now whether that was their first team or their academy players to be fair.  We gave them a good game. 
they should’ve scored etc..thing Is it gives me a glimmer of hope we can pull ourselves out this mess.

6 hours ago, Srg said:

Pretty meh game to be honest. They didn’t give us a kick at times, and despite no intense press we gave the ball away shoddily numerous times, particularly first half. 

Grateful of the win, we needed one - pre season or not. Let’s not pretend that bar two fantastic Roos saves and the width of crossbar that we couldn’t have been 3 goals down before we even had a sniff. 

Of the trialists, I think Morrison is a player who can receive under pressure and be trusted with the ball which is great to have. I do think he needs to be central though. Carroll is a steady player who will recycle the ball well, although did show some rustiness at times. Aluko will do a couple of terrible things for every good thing he does. Baldock is either way light of sharpness or he simply doesn’t have it anymore. Jagielka looks decent for his age, it must be said, but we certainly can’t count on 40+ games from him and Davies. 

We looked better once CKR came on as he offered far more than Baldock. Sibley still criminally underused by the sleepy fart sniffer. Watson looked very tidy and has a lovely centre of gravity to get out of tight spots, but don’t think he has that directness that Sibley has. Both very useful, we need to see more of both. I hope Stetton is fit soon as we really need to see what he has. 

Nice summary. I still think Sibley has to improve how he receives the ball. At this level you have to have it under control and protected from defenders in an instant. The next skill is awareness of those around you.

It will come, but at the moment he’s a little too easy to rob, and that makes him narky and liable to lash out.

We need a quicker central defender to go alongside Jagielka or Davies as we can’t afford to play them both.

I’d have sold Lawrence not made him captain. He offers so little. 

I share your enthusiasm for Stretton. Let’s hope he gets game time soon.

9 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Now you see I thought Byrne struggled tonight defensively. 

They seemed to be able to get on his inside quite easily. 

Unusual for him as he's a good player. 

I am not sure I agree. Yes their winger was very quick and nimble, Byrne got beaten a couple of times but he was dogged and determined, got the ball out of defence well and when he did get beaten he got back and real terrier style fighting to retrieve They didn’t like him one bit. He stood out for me.